• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Recommendations for Eastern All Mountain (But Not a Daily Driver)

BLiP

Out on the slopes
Skier
This has probably been covered ad nauseum in previous posts, but I am looking for recommendations for an Eastern all mountain ski.

Background: 5’11” 175lbs, 40ish. Background in racing and also worked as an instructor for a while. Hung up the GS suit in my early twenties and took almost a decade off from skiing. Came back to it recreationally a few years ago. Work/life only allows me a few weeks on snow each winter in NH/VT. My home hill is on the smaller side, but I get some days every year at the bigger eastern resorts, i.e., Killington, Stowe, Okemo, etc.

Current ski(s): My daily driver is a 165 FIS SL. I’ve experimented with a few cheater SL and GS skis over the past couple years, but the FIS SL is the only one that I’ve enjoyed enough to ski on every day. I’ve rarely been on a ski wider than 70, so I’m entirely out of my element looking for an “all mountain” ski. Hence the request for recommendations.

What am I looking for: I’m very happy with my FIS SL and use it for all conditions, but I’d like a different option for the days when the snow is particularly soft and/or cruddy. Particularly on the days when the temperature gets into the high 30s or low 40s (which we’ve had too many of this year). Although I primarily like to carve on groomers, that is what the FIS SL (or GS) is for. I’d like something that is good for the occasional foray into the bumps or glades and that is just fun all around for when conditions are not eastern boilerplate. This will not be a daily driver – more of a specialized ski for my least favorite conditions.

Preliminary Thoughts: Stockli: SR88, SR95, AR, AX, or new AS; Kastle: MX 88, MX 83, FX(?); Volkl: Kendo, Deacon 84; Fischer: Ranger 90. I’m sure there are a number of good options that I’m missing or unaware of. I’ve gotten some recommendations from a few people around here, but would appreciate any other thoughts.

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
At your weight, a FIS SL 157/159 is lot more fun for off piste, bumps, crud & slush than a 165.

From your list, the AR, AX, AS, MX 83/88 and Deacon are front side oriented. SR88/95, Kendo and Fischer are more off piste/bump oriented. Oh, don't forget the Peak 88. Of those, my son's favorite is the Peak 88. Take well to be driven hard. My pick is the 2023 Kendo 88.

FWIW, most of my crew favored the FIS SL 157/159 for off piste, bumps & slush at PT & Mammoth during late April & May.

Mammoth, May 19, 2021.
1678920997184.jpeg

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
This has probably been covered ad nauseum in previous posts, but I am looking for recommendations for an Eastern all mountain ski.

Background: 5’11” 175lbs, 40ish. Background in racing and also worked as an instructor for a while. Hung up the GS suit in my early twenties and took almost a decade off from skiing. Came back to it recreationally a few years ago. Work/life only allows me a few weeks on snow each winter in NH/VT. My home hill is on the smaller side, but I get some days every year at the bigger eastern resorts, i.e., Killington, Stowe, Okemo, etc.

Current ski(s): My daily driver is a 165 FIS SL. I’ve experimented with a few cheater SL and GS skis over the past couple years, but the FIS SL is the only one that I’ve enjoyed enough to ski on every day. I’ve rarely been on a ski wider than 70, so I’m entirely out of my element looking for an “all mountain” ski. Hence the request for recommendations.

What am I looking for: I’m very happy with my FIS SL and use it for all conditions, but I’d like a different option for the days when the snow is particularly soft and/or cruddy. Particularly on the days when the temperature gets into the high 30s or low 40s (which we’ve had too many of this year). Although I primarily like to carve on groomers, that is what the FIS SL (or GS) is for. I’d like something that is good for the occasional foray into the bumps or glades and that is just fun all around for when conditions are not eastern boilerplate. This will not be a daily driver – more of a specialized ski for my least favorite conditions.

Preliminary Thoughts: Stockli: SR88, SR95, AR, AX, or new AS; Kastle: MX 88, MX 83, FX(?); Volkl: Kendo, Deacon 84; Fischer: Ranger 90. I’m sure there are a number of good options that I’m missing or unaware of. I’ve gotten some recommendations from a few people around here, but would appreciate any other thoughts.
I thinks it's gonna depend a bit on how open your mind is to a ski that doesn't have the immediate positive hookup that your race skis have. If that's going to bug the crap out of you, stick with the Deacon / MX / AR "wide narrow ski" flavors. Otherwise let your hair down a bit and try something a wee bit surfier. It's just a ski; you're not getting married. Maybe demo an Armada Declivity 92ti, for example.

1Turn2Many

Out on the slopes
Skier
Most of the skis you mentioned are above my pay grade and I have not been on them. If interested in more wallet friendly skis, especially this time of year, Brahma 88 or Enforcer 94. Or, for crud busting at speed, Bonafide 97.

mulva28

Short Turns Enjoyer
Skier
If you're looking in the high 80's low 90's try to demo a Salomon Stance 90. Demoed it in 176cm on a typical good but not great Killington day and it worked very well everywhere; but the edge hold on hard snow really surprised me.

Last edited:

mob1

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
If you're looking in the high 80's low 90's try to demo a Salomon Stance 90. Demoed it in 176cm on a typical good but not great Killington day and it worked very well everywhere; but the edge hold on hard snow really surprised me.
Do you know if it was the old version or the 23-24 one? The reason I'm asking is because I demoed last (or technically this) year's version and really liked the balanced flex but still found it a tad sluggish overall. From what I understand, next year's version has the same shape but with a lighter build that's supposed to be slightly more approachable. I think it would be my ideal ski, even if it sacrifices a bit of groomer and crud performance.

PinnacleJim

Out on the slopes
Skier
My current ski that fits your criteria is a K2 Mindbender 90ti. In the east even with fresh snow, you will be dealing with a firm base and don't want a wide soft powder skin that might be fine in the Rockies. The MB 90ti is a versatile ski works in bumps, trees and carves surprisingly well on firm groomers. Note the MB 90ti was replaced this year with the 89ti.

TS
B

BLiP

Out on the slopes
Skier
I thinks it's gonna depend a bit on how open your mind is to a ski that doesn't have the immediate positive hookup that your race skis have.
Absolutely open to (and want) something different from my race skis. Something that requires a bit different feel would be an enjoyable way to mix things up.

Thanks for all the suggestions already. Would love to demo them all, but will probably just pick something up this fall and hope for the best. If they don’t work out, someone else will get a lightly used ski for a good price.

mulva28

Short Turns Enjoyer
Skier
If you are willing to do a leap of faith type ski (no demo), Blossom AM85. 131/85/112 and a medium turn radius. Construction is THE top notch. It really doesn't get better. More traditional build than the newer skis that have more rocker and taper but this ski is an absolute hoot if you're a technical skier. I had a top 3 day this year (I'm on day 42 Killington/Pico) that was on this ski in a few inches fresh. I was skiing with my 15 year old and he actually asked me how to ski like me the day I was on this ski (my injured wife's ski, same bsl and VIST SpeedCom anyway). @Philpug would label this a wide, narrow ski and I agree. Takes skill to get the most out of it as an all-mountain ski; but if you're good, this is as good as it gets for a variable Vermont day ski. Good/very good in bumps when your on it; and rips groomers. I skied this in 172cm and would argue with @Philpug that a short turn enjoyer would actually get along well with this ski.

I doubt that Phil would not be able to bang out short(ish) turns in a 172 AM85. It can do a shorter turn than the 172cm's 16.8 radius states. Sorry for the mind dump. There's not much info out there on Blossom Skis and I think the AM85 deserves to be at the table when the elite ~88mm waisted skis are being discussed. The AM77 (Whiteout) has a huge following and I got similar maybe even better feelings from my time on the Crosswind (AM85). Also, @Premier Skis skis has a sale going and Mike @Premier Skis is as good as it gets for a brand rep. Just for emphasis the construction of these skis is TOP NOTCH!!! As in it doesn't get better; especially at this price point.

Last edited by a moderator:

MikeM.

Booting up
Skier
Gonna put this out to the group because I’m also interested. How about the Brahma 82? Might this provide the versatility the OP is looking for while still retaining a relatively narrow waist (albeit still considerably wider than his FIS SLs)?

East Coast Scott

Getting off the lift
Skier
Gonna put this out to the group because I’m also interested. How about the Brahma 82? Might this provide the versatility the OP is looking for while still retaining a relatively narrow waist (albeit still considerably wider than his FIS SLs)?
I have them and love them.

TS
B

BLiP

Out on the slopes
Skier
How about the Brahma 82?
Good suggestion, I originally considered looking at the Brahma. But I think I'm leaning towards something completely different. I fear that the Brahma would just feel like a wider, slightly more easy going version of a race ski. Maybe that's an incorrect assumption though.

TS
B

BLiP

Out on the slopes
Skier
Anyone have experience with Black Crows (maybe the Captis) or DPS (Pagoda Piste 90 RP)? These would seem to be far out of my carving wheelhouse and much surfier as @Tony S mentioned.

afadeev

Getting off the lift
Skier
Pass Pulled
I am looking for recommendations for an Eastern all mountain ski. [...] Work/life only allows me a few weeks on snow each winter in NH/VT [...] Background: 5’11” 175lbs, 40ish. [...]
What am I looking for: I’m very happy with my FIS SL and use it for all conditions, but I’d like a different option for the days when the snow is particularly soft and/or cruddy. Particularly on the days when the temperature gets into the high 30s or low 40s (which we’ve had too many of this year). Although I primarily like to carve on groomers, [...]

Those are all decent options, but what works for me with +40lbs on you (Montero), may not be your preference.
Solution - demo the skis on your list, and see how YOU like them!

Basin Sports at Killington has a good selection of high-end demo skis.
Totem Pole at Okemo used to as well.
There should be others - call ahead and ask!

I had them, and loved them, but they are the opposite of versatile.
Also, they were far from enjoyable in the spring crud conditions. For someone my size.

HTH,
a

MikeM.

Booting up
Skier
Those are all decent options, but what works for me with +40lbs on you (Montero), may not be your preference.
Solution - demo the skis on your list, and see how YOU like them!

Basin Sports at Killington has a good selection of high-end demo skis.
Totem Pole at Okemo used to as well.
There should be others - call ahead and ask!

I had them, and loved them, but they are the opposite of versatile.
Also, they were far from enjoyable in the spring crud conditions. For someone my size.

HTH,
a
I can see that. I just picked up a set of Brahma 82s and used em at Stratton today. They flat out rip on firm terrain, and I could rip through 4” of pow w them later in the day when it was snowing, but I can see these not being ideal for soft spring conditions. My Unleashed 98s are fantastic for that; they just don’t provide the same high speed stability that the Brahmas do. The Brahmas just made me want to go faaaaast, while still being quite nimble and quick. Had a blast on them today.

Sponsor

Staff online