• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Recommendations for Slalom Shaped but Softer Flexing short-radiused ski for aspiring technical skier

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
@Tim Hodgson, If you really want to improve your technical. a pair of Atomic FIS SL in 158 as @James suggested will get you there. Put a set of X12/X16 VAR binding on it will allow you tool-less adjustment of your fore & aft position on the hill.
Best thing about a pair of FIS SL is its predictability. Something goes wrong? Ain't the ski.

ScotsSkier

USSA Coach
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
@Tim Hodgson, If you really want to improve your technical. a pair of Atomic FIS SL in 158 as @James suggested will get you there. Put a set of X12/X16 VAR binding on it will allow you tool-less adjustment of your fore & aft position on the hill.
Best thing about a pair of FIS SL is its predictability. Something goes wrong? Ain't the ski.

Not a bad suggestion, the 157/158 slalom at the OPs size will force very good fore/aft balance and precision, much more so than the 165FIS (in addition to helping with his other goals). Over the years I have played back and forth with the 157/158 and the 165 FIS slaloms. And really at my age/size there is a strong argument that I could be faster on the 157. BUT I find in the course that the 165 gives a bit more fore/aft stability which helps for my slalom technique (or as some might argue, lack of! and lets me stay in the course when i get back on my skis whereas on the 157 I would be doing wheelies and be out of it

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
The fore & aft binding adjustment allows you to find your best balance point on the ski. It also teaches you the role of the tip and tail through various part of the turn.

CuriousGeorge

Booting up
Skier
Agree with the 157 SL suggestion, find a local racers used race ski, U16 boys or older girls. It will help you refine the movement pattern at slower speeds, and keep honest in the fore aft department.

markojp

mtn rep for the gear on my feet
Industry Insider
Instructor
I will second the Head Rally, and I am about the same size as you. 6' 1" 195 lbs, the length I use is the 170CM it is such a fun ski. At the 170CM it is 76MM under foot. If you want something a little wider the Head Titan is 80 - 81 under foot. I have also skied the Titan but at my advanced age 73 it is a lot of ski for me. After about 3 - 4 hours I have to go back to the Rally. If you are a younger guy it should also be a good choice, again it was a 170CM I was skiing.

To clarify, the new eTitan is 84 underfoot. It's much more similar to the outgoing Monster skis than last season's iTitan. The eRally is 78 underfoot. It skis more like last season's iTitan and would work well for the OP. Last year's iRally can still be found on closeout.

markojp

Industry Insider
Instructor
Tim, with due respect, you're overthinking this. Yes, and foremost, you need to be in a modern boot that fits correctly matched with a modern ski design. Most modern SL skis have some small degree of tip rise... sometimes very small. At your size and weight, you shouldn't have any problem bending any SL ski including a generally available to the public FIS SL. 165 is the length you probably want. They DO NOT need to be skied at max intensity and effort to do what you're looking for. The tune is also important. .75 and 3 with a proper base structure will work very well in most parts of the world for your needs as it's unlikely you'll be skiing injected snow. That said, a dedicated 'carving' ski of 13-15m radius will be generally more versatile for many and completely suitable for your purposes... Blizzard HRC, Head iRace or eRace Pro or last years iRace/iRace pro, Atomic X9, etc.... every major manufacturer makes a very good version of this type of ski. there are many arrows that will work. The rest is up to the discipline and skill of the archer working attentively at their craft.

Last edited:

markojp

Industry Insider
Instructor
You know I was thinking about how the tip rocker actually helps my DPS Alchemist Wailer 100RP hook up when carved.

For those of you with SL skis with slight tip rocker, does it actually help that turn entry tip edging move at 11-10 o'clock?

See my post above. FWIW, again, don't overthink the tip rise onna modern SL ski. They ALL will do exactly what you want. Whatever tip rise they do or don't have bears no resemblance to the amount of rise on your DPS skis. All SL skis and performance carvers will be more accurate and require more accurate movements from you, and that seems to be the point. Again, at your size, don't be afraid of an off the shelf FIS SL so long as it's paired with a properly fitted modern boot.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Fair enough. I am looking for recommendations for skis for what I want to get better at which is technical carving. I really didn't want to tout my skiing ability. Just to better describe what I am looking for. And until I see me on video, I really don't want you guys and girls seeing me first. Because I could certainly be in that "not so much" category.

Which brings me back to skis. Because I do know this from other sports. Some equipment is better at doing some things than other equipment.

I would certainly consider a DPS ski. I don't see a DPS Trainer on the DPS website. . .
I think it's been discontinued, but you might find one. It has a small following on this board.

The Trainer is out of the line but I imagine an e-mail to DPS will be fruitful because I think they still hace some around.

The OP is also a PSIA instructor so he should have access to pro deals but with the shortage of gear, he might need a that'll work list along with the wish list that is being created here.

But I do agree with @markojp most any of the "technical" skis in 70mm +/- class would work.

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
To clarify, the new eTitan is 84 underfoot. It's much more similar to the outgoing Monster skis than last season's iTitan. The eRally is 78 underfoot. It skis more like last season's iTitan and would work well for the OP. Last year's iRally can still be found on closeout.
Thanks for the update, it seems like the "e" line is wider than the "i" line of Rally and Titian. Does that follow all sizes or is it for the 170CM?

Noodler

Sir Turn-a-lot
Skier
Regarding the Head SuperShape series... My personal opinion is that Head has gone off the rails with their use of more and more graphene and have killed the on-snow feel of these skis for 2021. They're fine as long as you're on good snow, but they no longer have that damp "surefootedness" feel when conditions become challenging. I'm posting with the hope that if enough people say something, they'll eventually get a clue and get back to their roots.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Regarding the Head SuperShape series... My personal opinion is that Head has gone off the rails with their use of more and more graphene and have killed the on-snow feel of these skis for 2021. They're fine as long as you're on good snow, but they no longer have that damp "surefootedness" feel when conditions become challenging. I'm posting with the hope that if enough people say something, they'll eventually get a clue and get back to their roots.
I'll disagree here on the feel. I think the eSpeed and eMagnum and eRally are as good, if not better then they ever have been but the eTitan has gotten too wide and replaced a better ski in the Monster 83. IMHO, the only redeeming factor of the eTitan is that they are available flat without a binding.

Noodler

Sir Turn-a-lot
Skier
I'll disagree here on the feel. I think the eSpeed and eMagnum and eRally are as good, if not better then they ever have been but the eTitan has gotten too wide and replaced a better ski in the Monster 83. IMHO, the only redeeming factor of the eTitan is that they are available flat without a binding.

To each their own, but the new skis feel nothing like the SuperShapes from a few generations ago. Skiers who like the feel of their old SuperShapes are probably going to notice the difference (especially in hard/icy conditions).

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter

Zrxman01

Out on the slopes
Skier
Augment skis.
Case closed...lol
7325F062-324C-4F18-8DE7-1495546A0B26.png

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I don't get the sense that Tim is looking for that.

Screenshot_20201128-210931_Chrome-01.jpeg

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Yes, @Augment Skisoffers its skis in multiple flexes. I would suggest the “soft” for most skiers; “medium” for stronger skiers, 11/10th skiers, and Clydesdales; and the “stiff" for ex-World Cup racers, skiers who have runs named after them (not in epitaph), or the severely ego-driven.

TS
T

Tim Hodgson

PSIA Level II Alpine
Instructor
And it is only $560 USD !!!
€469 = 560.66 USD

1606618078849.png

Zrxman01 by the description it really is exactly what I am looking for. So could be "case closed." Thank you!

In fact, I have some really good suggestions from everyone here. So, I think I will demo what I can from what you all have suggested.

To put it all out there. I am a scaredy cat who wants to be able to build enough centripetal force to fully incline at the 10-9 o'clock while skiing as slowly as possible.

Taking what I have learned from Gellie, there are only two ways to increase centripetal force. Increase Speed or Decrease Radius of Turn.

I am afraid of the former. But can embrace a short radius ski. Uh, like a slalom ski. But race slalom skis are made to go well, uh, fast. And although I think all of you racers are correct that at my body mass I can bend a true SL FIS ski at 9-6 o'clock . . .

I don't think I could bend it at 11 o'clock for turn entry. Without upping the speed and growing some balls.

So, I will tune up my Dynastar Contacts and ski. And then I will demo what you have suggested and report back. Maybe with video. But without video if I don't objectively ski as well as I subjectively think I can in my best moments . . .

Thank you.