• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

chilehed

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Whenever I get an empty windshield washer fluid jug I cut the top and bottom off, slit the body vertically, roll it up tightly and tape it. Very effective for splinting, transparent to x-rays and dirt cheap.

CalG

Out on the slopes
Pass Pulled
Whenever I get an empty windshield washer fluid jug I cut the top and bottom off, slit the body vertically, roll it up tightly and tape it. Very effective for splinting, transparent to x-rays and dirt cheap.

Sounds great for a wrist or fore arm. Is the resulting "splint" long enough for any lower extremity injury?

chilehed

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Sounds great for a wrist or fore arm. Is the resulting "splint" long enough for any lower extremity injury?
They're about 18" long, so I don't see why not if you tape two or three together lengthwise so you can wrap them around the extremity. They're really stiff once you get them curled into a tube. With some creative trimming and taping they can be used to stabilize thumbs too.

firebanex

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I patrol in a very cold place, anything with self adhesive or needs to be somewhat warm to be used will not work for me. Medical tape is worthless to me as are most of the other cling wraps and self adhesive type bandages. Gauze, 4x4 pads, and cravats work well at any temp. We've even had to swap the normal clear tubing on our o2 kits for a heavy duty silicone tube that won't freeze and break in the cold.

Stuff beyond the typical OEC kit that I carry:
-I have two extra big cravats to use as hip wraps plus a 12in long 5/8th dowel to use as the tension thingy for that wrap, can also double as a tourniquet for a upper leg.
-Couple of those velcro ski holders and a bunch of zip ties (never know when you need to reattach things to your toboggan or the patient is bigger than the splints straps)
-Small saw and/or leatherman type multitool
-Spare hat for keeping patients warm
-Head lamp for rescues that go beyond the sunset (I personally got cheapy waterproof 300lumen flood light with a gopro mount for mine)
-Sharpie. To write on people of course.
-Pencils. ink freezes, graphite does not. for recording vitals, SAMPLES and all the other things.
-Small stuffie to entertain kids. I have a small cat plushie in my bag

Always carry food and drink for your self, you may not have time to stop and get some food between calls. Multiple times every season I've had to cram a clifbar in my mouth as I'm skiing to another incident because I've not been able to eat lunch yet.

SpokaneSteve

Booting up
Skier
Could folks that use backpacks explain what type of organization system they are using. Maybe an ABCD bag, then a splinting and secure bag? Then a BLS bag? I'm trying to think it thorough by the type of emergency but some types of gear overlap. Thanks much, Steve.

firebanex

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Ooh! I got a picture! I have the Columbia patrol backpack.. I think it says its about 30 liter capacity and was available a couple years ago from NSP directly. There are some very similar ones in the NSP store right now but I don't know if they are the same or not. Anyways mine came with the two long removable bags and the pouches are not removable.

My organization system is as follows:
Picture left vertical bag has "tying stuff" cravats mostly for sling and swath type things
Center pouch has a SAM split and sometimes a ladder splint. my headlamp and battery go in the void above the top of the sam splint pouch
Right vertical bag has a pocket mask and usually an extra hat, gloves, and chemical handwarmers for patients.
Top (closest) pouch contains 4x4 pads and gauze rollers
Bottom (far) pouch contains bandaids, tape, more 4x4 pads, more gauze rollers, scissors.
Left waist pouch has a plethora of non latex gloves
Right waist pouch has a leatherman, paracord, zipties, and ziplock bags.
If we had avy danger, there is probe, shovel, and iceaxe carry slots on the outside of the pack, and there is still room in the main compartment for food and personal gear.

To overly simplify; I have a bag to tie things up, a bag to keep people warm and breathing, a pouch to keep me safe, a pouch to splint, and two bags to stop people from bleeding. If I need anything else it will be in the sled or O2 pack. If I still don't have what I need at that point, its beyond my training and they are in trouble!
20181022_211207.jpg

Carolinacub

Yes thats a Cubs hat I'm wearing
Skier
Ooh! I got a picture! I have the Columbia patrol backpack.. I think it says its about 30 liter capacity and was available a couple years ago from NSP directly. There are some very similar ones in the NSP store right now but I don't know if they are the same or not. Anyways mine came with the two long removable bags and the pouches are not removable.

My organization system is as follows:
Picture left vertical bag has "tying stuff" cravats mostly for sling and swath type things
Center pouch has a SAM split and sometimes a ladder splint. my headlamp and battery go in the void above the top of the sam splint pouch
Right vertical bag has a pocket mask and usually an extra hat, gloves, and chemical handwarmers for patients.
Top (closest) pouch contains 4x4 pads and gauze rollers
Bottom (far) pouch contains bandaids, tape, more 4x4 pads, more gauze rollers, scissors.
Left waist pouch has a plethora of non latex gloves
Right waist pouch has a leatherman, paracord, zipties, and ziplock bags.
If we had avy danger, there is probe, shovel, and iceaxe carry slots on the outside of the pack, and there is still room in the main compartment for food and personal gear.

To overly simplify; I have a bag to tie things up, a bag to keep people warm and breathing, a pouch to keep me safe, a pouch to splint, and two bags to stop people from bleeding. If I need anything else it will be in the sled or O2 pack. If I still don't have what I need at that point, its beyond my training and they are in trouble!
View attachment 56373
Nicely organized, I do much the same when it comes to separating items for specific needs however I use a vest

kayco53

Getting on the lift
Skier
I wear a vest so space is limited. Leatherman tool is super handy. I put everything in zip lock bags. Instant ice pack. Even manage to get a highly compressible jacket (midlayer) in back pouch. Also pack some gummy bear lunch bag type treats for people who running out of energy as well as for myself.Headlight for end of day in case there is a problem during sweep.Pencils (they work in cold) and a waterproof type note book. Pulse oxy meter. It only works in the warm first aid hut. Along with our required gear. Some people carry a small stuffed toy in case you get a child patient. Our opa's come packed with the oxygen bottle kit that we call for.

CalG

Out on the slopes
Pass Pulled
I keep gloves in zip lock bags. 1pair in one bag. If you need the gloves, you need the bag.
A SAM splint is a must. Never leave base without one! 3 cravats minimum.
Cling wrap works in all weather, Carry as much as you have room for. Adhesive tape is just about worthless in the cold and snow except as a circumferential wrap (cling)
I carry two sizes of OPAs small for the kids. Medium for everyone else. The others come with the O2

Keep your knife SHARP! and your scissors handy. though I don't like to display them next to the radio. gosh!
Hand warmers and space blankets are a must when the temps are below 15 F. People get cold! When they are hurt, they get very cold. One of those "Fight or Flight" things.
I refresh the glucose tube when I think of it, but I never look at the expiration date before offering to a patient that needs sugar!

I bet I carry 8 or 9 4X4 dressings. Big is beautiful for those small cuts. And if you need one for a bleed, you need a half dozen for clean up.
Cling, still rolled up makes a good compression dressing!

I wish there was a useful way to carry a pint of sterile water that wasn't just SO BULKY . (dried water, just add snow ;-)

CalG

Out on the slopes
Pass Pulled
They're about 18" long, so I don't see why not if you tape two or three together lengthwise so you can wrap them around the extremity. They're really stiff once you get them curled into a tube. With some creative trimming and taping they can be used to stabilize thumbs too.

I was thinking about this as I tossed a couple of plastic bottles in the trash. Hmm.. Tape... in the cold and snow? That's not going to happen.
But I'm going to pack one this winter and see if it gets used. I'm NOT pacing two however! ;-)

Len K

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
leatherman, zip lock bags, 1 surgical compress, ACE elastic wrap, sam splint, penlight, suckers (for kids) space blanket, hacksaw blade

CalG

Out on the slopes
Pass Pulled
leatherman, zip lock bags, 1 surgical compress, ACE elastic wrap, sam splint, penlight, suckers (for kids) space blanket, hacksaw blade

Our protocol does not permit ACE bandages for any application. AB-C! and all that.

Len K

Skier
Our protocol does not permit ACE bandages for any application. AB-C! and all that.

I would ask - why? An ACE bandage is not appropriate for everything, but works well with a sam splint for closed lower arm injuries.

CalG

Out on the slopes
Pass Pulled
I would ask - why? An ACE bandage is not appropriate for everything, but works well with a sam splint for closed lower arm injuries.
Circulation!
Elastic ,by it's definition and nature continually tightens. Every motion results in a one way adjustment towards Tight.
Unmonitored, that may lead to restricted circulation.

Never underestimate the lack of responsibility of your patient!

Carolinacub

Skier
Circulation!
Elastic ,by it's definition and nature continually tightens. Every motion results in a one way adjustment towards Tight.
Unmonitored, that may lead to restricted circulation.

Never underestimate the lack of responsibility of your patient!
I have to agree with Len K here. It's not appropriate for everything but it has it's place. Example: a gash on the head, 4x4 gauze and wrap with an ace and transport. It holds everything thing in place nicely and no circulation worry....just don't go around the neck.

CalG

Out on the slopes
Pass Pulled
As I mentioned:

protocol

that trumps perfectly good reasoning every time!

I've often wished to carry an ace wrap just to get the "hurt but not injured" patient on their way home.

psycho-sematic

Kiss the boo-boo.....

firebanex

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Yup, protocol, ACE bandages are also not allowed on our patrol. They would be nice to have but it also starts to edge into the treatment and diagnosis side of things which our ski patrol training does not allow us to do.

Also that fancy cling gauze wrap stuff.. krelix or whatever it's called. That stuff is wonderful in a warm aid room but doesn't work for crap on the hill with getting squished and cold in an aid bag. It's allowed but highly frowned upon because it sucks out in the wild for us.

Home Slice

Skier
Lots of people have this question so I think its worth doing a bump.
Hers a picture of what I carry in my vest. It's changed a little over the years, I now carry self evac rope and belay stuff and I've dropped some of the stuff like glucose and cpr mask. View attachment 43998 .
Finally a photo that shows what's carried in a vest :) There are a few things in the picture that I can't tell what they are. For 'us' newbies to the forum, could you describe what all of this is? What is the Orange thing, the 2 red with white cross ski patrol pouches, etc.? I know this was posted quite a long time ago, but I'm hoping your still here on the forum to describe everything you carry in this vest. Thanks so much.

Carolinacub

Skier
Finally a photo that shows what's carried in a vest :) There are a few things in the picture that I can't tell what they are. For 'us' newbies to the forum, could you describe what all of this is? What is the Orange thing, the 2 red with white cross ski patrol pouches, etc.? I know this was posted quite a long time ago, but I'm hoping your still here on the forum to describe everything you carry in this vest. Thanks so much.
Actually I'll do you one better. I'm getting ready to put all my crap away for the summer so I'll lay it all out again with explanations.

p.s. the two red things with white crosses are handwarmers made by a friend of mine that were given to me as a Christmas present.

p.p.s. welcome to the forum

Last edited:

Superbman

Getting off the lift
Skier
I used to carry a lot, but now I carry a lot less. Sealed bag of bandaids (all sizes), leatherman, roll of sticky cling, 2-3 cravats, rolled splints (the kind made from cutting bottom of bleach and milk jugs), pocket mask (CPR), tourniquet. all in pockets on older cascade vest.

In summer I also patrol at our Bike Park, where I transfer much of that to a fanny pack.

There's no wrong answer here though, you get a sense over time what you need, what you don't, and what 'holy shit this is bad' item you wish you had on you..

Sponsor

Staff online