• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Recommendations wanted on the better road bikes in $5k range

TexasStout

Epic Pass + Loveland 4-pack for 2021-2022
Skier
I'm in the market for a new road bike for the first time in 15 years, so not all the same players in the game as before and would like some advice.

Basically, I'm thinking a carbon-framed, Shimano Ultegra model is in the price range. Not looking for aero as I'm wanting a lightweight bike for climbing in Colorado. Should I be looking primarily at Trek, Specialized and Cannondale? BMC? Cervelo? Any others?

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I got a new Emonda with eTap and disk brakes last summer and ma really enjoying it: https://www.trekbikes.com/us/en_US/bikes/road-bikes/performance-road-bikes/émonda/émonda-sl/émonda-sl-7-disc-etap/p/32564/?colorCode=grey_orange

Although I prefer Shimano shifting, the eTap made it really simple to get slightly lower gearing with just a cassette change, so I went SRAM.

The same bike with Shimano saves about $500: https://www.trekbikes.com/us/en_US/bikes/road-bikes/performance-road-bikes/émonda/émonda-sl/émonda-sl-7/p/32563/?colorCode=red_black

If you want something that isn't quite a pure "road whip" and offers a bit more stability and comfort, the Domane is nice: https://www.trekbikes.com/us/en_US/...-sl/domane-sl-7/p/28315/?colorCode=teal_black

givethepigeye

Really, just Rob will do
Skier
strong, light, cheap, pick two - old adage, but still applies esp when lightness is concerned on a bike for climbing. not a disc convert on my road whips, but I do have ee's YMMV. Second the eTap. its good.

princo

Getting off the lift
Skier
In that price range I would look for a Specialized Tarmac SL7 Expert ($5,000) or the Trek Emonda SL7 ($5,500). FYI.. pickings are slim in the Denver metro area.

teejaywhy

Retired Eccentric
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I'm in the market for a new road bike for the first time in 15 years, so not all the same players in the game as before and would like some advice.

Basically, I'm thinking a carbon-framed, Shimano Ultegra model is in the price range. Not looking for aero as I'm wanting a lightweight bike for climbing in Colorado. Should I be looking primarily at Trek, Specialized and Cannondale? BMC? Cervelo? Any others?

From my price survey about 18 months ago, a carbon, disc, Ultegra bike was ~ $3500-$4000, so your 5K budget should be solid. Great deals were to be had on closeouts, unfortunately, the year of Covid has seemingly created a huge demand for bicycles that has made for slim pickings in stocks and price deals scarce.

If I understand, a bike for climbing would have more of a race geometry vs. the more relaxed "endurance" style. (?)

IMO, brand matters little, good support from a LBS was the tipping point with my choice. What I found was Specialized, Cannondale and BMC were the more expensive, but tended to offer ALL Ultegra components, Treks and Giant had lower prices but maybe substituted a component or two with not Ultegra. If you don't need LBS support, the Canyon seems like a great option with a low price.

princo

Getting off the lift
Skier
IMO, brand matters little, good support from a LBS was the tipping point with my choice.
While I have a couple of bike shops that I support locally, inventory is still pretty scarce, at least around here. So the choice of bike shop could be limited to the one that has it in stock. If you see what you want available somewhere, just grab it - the wait can be a long one.

Ron

Seeking the next best ski
SkiTalk Tester
Take a look at the new Giants. Hell of a bike with good specs!

I love my trek Emonda but supply will be an issue. Specialized tarmacs might be found used in the 6.

as stated already, it really comes down to supply. I would start calling around and hope for a delivery by summer.

AtleB

Out on the slopes
Skier
I would not hesitate to spend a bit of that budget on a professional bike fit, it can save you a lot of hassle. I find that I am way more sensitiv in this regard on road bikes than I am on mountain bikes.

Ron

SkiTalk Tester
regard on road bikes than I am on mountain bikes.

get "close enough" for MTN bikes, as soon as you shift your COM in any direction (especially on a climb), your "fit" is no longer relevant. Road bike and gravel bike fits are specific and literally a couple of MM's can make you comfortable or more effecient.

Ron

SkiTalk Tester
Canyons are great bikes but I have issues with thier proprietary stems and other parts. As long as the Geo works for ya'. its a great bike. I believe they are having the same issues with production and supply.

tch

What do I know; I'm just some guy on the internet.
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
* fit IS important. At the least, you should know if you want traditional "race bike" geo or more relaxed "endurance" geo. Most companies have two different lines with comparable components. What bike are you riding now? Stuff has changed a lot in the last 15 years.
* if you don't mind buying online, you can get some good deals at the Pros Closet. Used bikes, almost always in good condition. Sometimes the price isn't that remarkable compared to new, but sometimes it IS remarkable. They also offer advice.
Until you have a better sense of your fit (size and geometry preference and how those compromises are made), specific model recommendations don't make a lot of sense. AFAIC, it's kinda like skis these days: there aren't a lot of bad bikes out there, but there are some wrong bikes.

chris_the_wrench

Spinning wrenches and throwing spokes.
Skier
What size you looking for? Ive got a couple sworks Im probably going to be moving.

-Chris

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier

For Colorado? Get an e-motor assisted road bike. Unless you are a really good athlete and can produce serious power to weight the ebike will let you enjoy the terrain much much more.

Tony Storaro

Glorified Tobogganer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Scott, Giant, Canyon...at this budget-plenty good bikes to pick from.

TS
TexasStout

TexasStout

Epic Pass + Loveland 4-pack for 2021-2022
Skier
* fit IS important. At the least, you should know if you want traditional "race bike" geo or more relaxed "endurance" geo. Most companies have two different lines with comparable components. What bike are you riding now? Stuff has changed a lot in the last 15 years.
* if you don't mind buying online, you can get some good deals at the Pros Closet. Used bikes, almost always in good condition. Sometimes the price isn't that remarkable compared to new, but sometimes it IS remarkable. They also offer advice.
Until you have a better sense of your fit (size and geometry preference and how those compromises are made), specific model recommendations don't make a lot of sense. AFAIC, it's kinda like skis these days: there aren't a lot of bad bikes out there, but there are some wrong bikes.
I'm familiar with the fit I need. I've been riding seriously for thirty years and raced for several of those years. The race geometry is what I prefer for it's quick handling capabilities. Love to take the downhill corners at speed.

My current ride is a Cannondale System Six with Ultegra gruppo. Definitely interested in upgrading to Disk brakes, too.

Sponsor

Staff online