• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Recommendations wanted on the better road bikes in $5k range

Delicious

Glass Cranks
Skier
Found the original geometry chart for your SystemSix here for reference:
https://vintagecannondale.com/year/2007/2007.pdf Geometry info is all the way at the end of the pdf. ...and blurry.

The missing info from that chart will be "stack". Assuming that you are on the 54, the stack of your current frame is no more than 55cm, likely closer to 54cm. 53.5 even? If your stem is currently slammed, or even minimally spaced, you will need to keep an eye on "stack". THIS is the true SIZE of the frame. You can't make it smaller! If you're OK with the 97.5 wheelbase, 58 F-C, and 5.6 trail, this shouldn't be terribly difficult to reproduce with your next purchase. All of this, again, assuming that you are currently on the 54cm.

martyg

Making fresh tracks
Industry Insider
Yes! This is what will put an e-mtb in my bike shop. I want to do mellow (recovery?) rides that are actually interesting.

Our shop is the number one Specialized e-bike shop in the Rockies, and we are in a town that ranks right up there with the most elite cyclists per capita.

My favorite e-bike story is of a couple that I ran into on our trail system. The wife was a regular on the podium at the nationals. The husband was also an elite racer, but had double knee replacement. He was three weeks into his e-mtn, and said that he has ridden more in the last three weeks, than he had in the last 10 years. And now he could again ride with his wife. What is not to love about that?

I spoke to Ned after he raced in an e-mtn race. Of course, everyone is still working at capacity. He said that the speeds were incredible, and a winning came down to bike handling skills and managing those speeds.

Lots of really cool ramifications for ebikes on the market, from welcoming a new population of cyclists to being able to more accurately manage training loads.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
And now he could again ride with his wife. What is not to love about that?

I spoke to Ned after he raced in an e-mtn race. Of course, everyone is still working at capacity. He said that the speeds were incredible, and a winning came down to bike handling skills and managing those speeds.

Yes, again! But opposite for my wife and I. With her light powered e-road and full power e-mtb, we are enjoying riding together SO much more. And she loves dropping me on hills. Payback is a bitch!

And the bike handling/winning part from Ned: That is what I've always loved about endurance racing. It's not "motor" only, you have to have dh skills also. I tell people it's one-third motor, one-third skills and one-third stubborn tenacity. I loved it for almost 15 years.

TS
TexasStout

TexasStout

Epic Pass + Loveland 4-pack for 2021-2022
Skier
Sounds like you have the OG SystemSix. Maybe THE best bike Cannondale has ever produced. Marketing nightmare, but fantastic execution. You ride that bike in the 54cm size? The Cannondale's of that era were quite "square", meaning that the stack height matched the frame size. You NEED to figure out what the MAXIMUM stack height you can tolerate is. If you are looking for a 54-55cm frame with a 54-55cm stack, you will be able to eliminate a massive portion of the current market from you list/search. If you want a 54-55cm frame with a 57-58cm stack, well, you're in luck.

I understand that you have been riding bikes for 30 years, I believe you said? Bicycle geometry has changed so much in the last 15 years. There's no such thing as a "54" or "55" cm frame anymore. You have to look at other numbers. You have to figure out what is important to you. Where are you unable/unwilling to compromise your fit?

Haven't followed modern design changes, although i had observed newer bikes frame geometry being different. Haven't ridden any newer bikes to see how they handle.
Prefer a shorter top tube for quicker responsiveness.

The questions you need to ask yourself are:
1. Are you a standing climber? Sometimes? 50/50? Only when you're dying? Typically seated, unless it is a short, steep hill. CO mountain passes are usually miles long, while most of the hills are able to climb seated. Will climb them out of saddle if pace is dropping.
2. Cadence, high or low? High
3. Does bike handling matter to you? Are you a nifty descender? Yes. Yes.

If you can provide some feedback, I can help you learn to parse the current geometry charts to find what makes the most sense. BTW, it took me 3-4 years to find my current bike. I simply had some things that I was unwilling to compromise on. I could have found my bike at any bike shop in 2005. Your SystemSix is going to be a tough act to follow.

Erik Timmerman

So much better than a pro
Instructor
I read an interview with someone (I can't remember who, but it was a former XC Champ) who said that in e-bike racing it is ultimately ALL about rider weight. A 110 lb rider should always beat a 120 lb rider because the battery and motor play such a big role.

Larry

Out on the slopes
Skier
I'm curious myself regarding the Giant TCR adv pro? bikes. I see they have hookless tubeless rims. My question, can you still put a tube and tube tire on that rim or is tubeless tires your only option?

Ron

Seeking the next best ski
SkiTalk Tester
see manufacturer specs! for instance, you can do that (if you were so inclined, I dont know why you would) on all Enve hookless.

Larry

Out on the slopes
Skier
see manufacturer specs! for instance, you can do that (if you were so inclined, I dont know why you would) on all Enve hookless.
I'm still not sold on tubeless plus I've just purchased about 6 tubed tires that I was planning to use on a possible new bike. I've just started researching new bikes myself and the Giant TCR sounds like a good bike for a pretty good price

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
and the Giant TCR sounds like a good bike for a pretty good price

Ride one if you can.

One of the (nicer?) things about Giant is that most of their upper-range road bikes ride much like all the others, there's no big surprises to other Giant road riders...but someone coming over from Trek or Spesh or C'dale or... can easily have niggling, bothersome fit issues.

Yes, I know that the stack and reach numbers fans make like frames are a commodity like orange juice or pork bellies. At the $5K price point they're really not.

Ron

Seeking the next best ski
SkiTalk Tester
I'm still not sold on tubeless plus I've just purchased about 6 tubed tires that I was planning to use on a possible new bike. I've just started researching new bikes myself and the Giant TCR sounds like a good bike for a pretty good price

you couldn't pay me to ride with tubes. its so middle ages. LOL. theres a reason why you are seeing hookless wheels, wider tires, ridden at lower PSI tubeless is just a better. my fastest times are now on Enve SES tires on Enve 4.5Ar wheels. 27 (28.5 actual) front at 59 psi and 29's (31.75 actual)60 rear. superb combo, best tires I have ever ridden on. Why 59 in front? because at 60, they actually violate the 105% rule. (Yes, Im very OCD) the SES's are superbly supple, incredible road feel and excellent handling. Enve truly knocked it out of the park with these tires. And are perfect matches with their SES AR wheels.

I put the 31's on my wife's 2021 Domane and she loves them!

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I've just purchased about 6 tubed tires that I was planning to use on a possible new bike.
Because ... they were too cheap to pass up? You are very very hard on tires?

Just don't let the tail wag the dog there.

Larry

Out on the slopes
Skier
Because ... they were too cheap to pass up? You are very very hard on tires?

Just don't let the tail wag the dog there.
Yes, I bought a Cann Synapse 2 years ago. More of an endurance bike. It's nice but I think I also want a more racier bike for mainly climbing. Yes, I bought these 28 tires for this bike and was planning to possibly use them on the "new" bike too.

I haven't researched tubeless much but do most tubeless handle majority flats? Can you boot them if you have a big tear in tire?

Tony S

Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Yes, I bought a Cann Synapse 2 years ago. More of an endurance bike. It's nice but I think I also want a more racier bike for mainly climbing. Yes, I bought these 28 tires for this bike and was planning to possibly use them on the "new" bike too.

I haven't researched tubeless much but do most tubeless handle majority flats? Can you boot them if you have a big tear in tire?
I don't ride tubeless on the road myself, but I'd imagine you carry a tube just in case, so no difference re booting. But seriously,
how often have you had a tear in a road bike tire? (And it would have to be a SMALL tear or booting wouldn't save you anyway.) I've been riding on and off for a lifetime and don't remember that ever happening. (MTB tire, sure, because of sidewall cuts.) Maybe a catastrophic mysterious explosion once or twice, but the tire was just toast there.

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier
I don't ride tubeless on the road myself, but I'd imagine you carry a tube just in case, so no difference re booting. But seriously,
how often have you had a tear in a road bike tire? (And it would have to be a SMALL tear or booting wouldn't save you anyway.) I've been riding on and off for a lifetime and don't remember that ever happening. (MTB tire, sure, because of sidewall cuts.) Maybe a catastrophic mysterious explosion once or twice, but the tire was just toast there.
I worked as a tech for 10 years..occasionally (couple of times a year?) we saw torn sidewalls. People ride over junk on the road..it happens. But yeah, infrequently..and often on older tires. For comparison, I've probably done 2k flat repairs..vast majority are glass, thorns, staples or other metal detritus, and pinch-flats. And if you're running tubeless, scratch pinch-flats..

Tony S

Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I worked as a tech for 10 years..occasionally (couple of times a year?) we saw torn sidewalls. People ride over junk on the road..it happens. But yeah, infrequently..and often on older tires. For comparison, I've probably done 2k flat repairs..vast majority are glass, thorns, staples or other metal detritus, and pinch-flats. And if you're running tubeless, scratch pinch-flats..
I think you just proved my point.

Larry

Out on the slopes
Skier
Well, my LBS has a brand new 2022 Giant TCR adv pro 1(I think). Ultegra mech with disk brakes. I'm going to pull the trigger. It's a Medium Rosewood. Not the greatest color but I like the feel of the bike. Not going to get a real "deal" on it but I do get lifetime tune ups

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
Not the greatest color but I like the feel of the bike.

I kinda like it but I would totally do a contrast highlight with that - just a little removable vinyl accent on like a chainstay or fork and matching handlebar tape.

The rosewood is neutral enough that anything from fluo green to gold to sky blue could be the third point, depending on the helmet, jersey, shoes. Just not orange and not oil slick (garh).

Larry

Out on the slopes
Skier
Well, my LBS has a brand new 2022 Giant TCR adv pro 1(I think). Ultegra mech with disk brakes. I'm going to pull the trigger. It's a Medium Rosewood. Not the greatest color but I like the feel of the bike. Not going to get a real "deal" on it but I do get lifetime tune ups
Picked it up yesterday

Attachments

• 20210925_064946.jpg
    20210925_064946.jpg
    231.5 KB · Views: 19

Sponsor

Staff online