• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Recommendations wanted on the better road bikes in $5k range

Larry

Out on the slopes
Skier
finding a bike in your size and it’s available is a ‘deal’ these days! Ive put alot of miles on the tcr platform, Ive always enjoyed them. Have fun!

-Chris
Yes, I was surprised they were able to get a couple of TCR's. I wasn't in a hurry to buy for awhile but predicting any future pandemic etc., no need to chance passing on this bike when it was staring me in the face and risk not getting one at all plus I do like my LBS so it's a win-win for both of us

Tony Storaro

Glorified Tobogganer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I'm curious myself regarding the Giant TCR adv pro? bikes. I see they have hookless tubeless rims. My question, can you still put a tube and tube tire on that rim or is tubeless tires your only option?

I do not think so. With Giant wheels you can't even put any tubeless tyres of your choice, there is a list of approved tyres and your choice of tyres is pretty limited at this point.
But not to worry -Shwalbe Pro One are great tyres.

Otherwise TCR is a fantastic bike, love mine to bits. But I changed the wheels for a set of hooked wheels just because I like Conti GP 5000 TL so much

My precious:

IMG_9092.jpg

Larry

Out on the slopes
Skier
I do not think so. With Giant wheels you can't even put any tubeless tyres of your choice, there is a list of approved tyres and your choice of tyres is pretty limited at this point.
But not to worry -Shwalbe Pro One are great tyres

. View attachment 143496
This is one thing I worry about. I did choose the Maxxis high road TR tire. The Pro one was my second. I cant believe how expensive they were but for now, I'll go with these until they wear out or worse

Tony Storaro

Glorified Tobogganer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
This is one thing I worry about. I did choose the Maxxis high road TR tire. The Pro one was my second.

If you go with Pro Ones make sure you buy the newer version-the one with orange logo on the sidewall. These:
Schwalbe Pro One TLE.jpg

They are supposedly tougher and more puncture resistant. I have put around 1000 km on the older version of these and frankly-nothing bad to say. They are fast, roll well and I see no abnormal wear-something some people are observing. No punctures either.

I moved to hooked wheels out of some concerns which are probably totally stupid and baseless but there was always that lil voice in my head going "They will blow out, you just watch" on high speed descents and that totally shatters the confidence.
Nothing bad ever happened, mind you, so I will probably re-mount the Schwalbes (28 mm) on the original Giant wheels, fit Conti GP 5000 in 25 mm on the Hypers and ride both.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
I moved to hooked wheels out of some concerns which are probably totally stupid and baseless but there was always that lil voice in my head going "They will blow out, you just watch" on high speed descents and that totally shatters the confidence.
Nothing bad ever happened, mind you, so I will probably re-mount the Schwalbes (28 mm) on the original Giant wheels, fit Conti GP 5000 in 25 mm on the Hypers and ride both.

Eh. My confidence paranoia worm on hookless is for low levels of sealant, old sealant and low temps.

Sponsor

Staff online

• Dwight
    Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid
  • dbostedo
    Asst. Gathermeister
  • Andy Mink
    Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January