• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Recommended ski width for Breckenridge?

kwahoo

Booting up
Skier
My son and I are going to Breck in a week. We live in the Mid-Atlantic region and mostly ski at Snowshoe, so we have narrow-ish skis. Mine are 84 underfoot, his are 80. We mostly ski blacks ("east coast blacks") such as Cupp and Shay's at Snowshoe. It seems like the general consensus for skiing in Colorado is not to bother bringing such narrow skis, and instead to demo some wider skis. Rental shops in the area have an overwhelming array of choices. I spent some time researching my skis recently, and ended up with the Völkl Deacon 84, but looking at wider skis, I feel like a complete noob.

Any suggestions on a range of widths to consider? We'll probably spend a fair amount of time on groomed runs, and want to be able to carve, but it seems like they get enough snow that even these may have reasonable amounts of powder, and we want to be able to ski areas that aren't groomed. As best I can tell from some research, something in the 105-115 range might be suitable, but I don't have much confidence. Also, any advice on what kind of rocker/camber profile is best?

If I can find a ski that also works reasonably well in east-coast goopy slush we get in warm weather (like right now at Snowshoe), I might end up buying, because then I could use them in both places. I don't know if that's a reasonable thing to aim for.

Thanks!
--Kevin

Last edited:

tomahawkins

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I just got done skiing an area that gets way more snow than Breck and I was on 71s. I’d say bring your narrow skis (they’re not that narrow) and rent wider if you get a lot of snow. Deacon 84s are a darn good Colorado ski. But if you WANT to buy new skis, that’s another story.

Tytlynz64

Getting off the lift
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Your and your son‘s skis are fine for 80% or more of Breck. If you have a day and want to demo by all means have at it. If you get dumped on you should still be fine but have an opportunity to see what wider skis can do in conditions they are designed for. But first and foremost have fun. Spending time in the shop getting gear is never as much fun as being on the hill. Just my $.02.

Quandary

Out on the slopes
Skier
As a Brecker I would bring 80s, ski and rent, demo something wider if you feel the need. I have a lot of skis one of which is Fischer RC One 86GTs which I have sjkied all over the mountain.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
How many days per season will you be skiing in the Rockies? If even 50% are powder days (highly unlikely) can you really justify the expense of buying over renting?

Now if you want to klunk around typical conditions at Snowshoe on a 100mm ski or keep one around just in case they get hammered when you can get there go for it. Full disclosure, I have a pair of 99mm in the back of the closet that I've skied ONCE.. but I bought them as used demos for $175 shipped. I'll still toss them in the ski box when headed north just in case.. but only once in 10 years did they really get proper use...

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
I'll echo everyone else and say that mid-80's widths are fine (on and off piste), unless you get a big storm, in which case you can rent. I've skied out west a lot, and never been on anything wider than a 95. I'm probably about the same level you are, and have skied up to shin deep powder on 90-95 widths (or narrower). I've also have my 95 widths on scratchy groomer days and wished I had something narrower. Thinking you need to be on a 105+ is way too wide IMO unless you know you'll be in powder all the time and/or like wide rockered skis in bumps/trees.

All that said, I like demo'ing skis, so if you want to try out something really wide, by all means. It can be a lot of fun.

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Any suggestions on a range of widths to consider? We'll probably spend a fair amount of time on groomed runs, and want to be able to carve, but it seems like they get enough snow that even these may have reasonable amounts of powder, and we want to be able to ski areas that aren't groomed. As best I can tell from some research, something in the 105-115 range might be suitable, but I don't have much confidence. Also, any advice on what kind of rocker/camber profile is best?
It COULD happen that you'll get plenty of fresh snow and benefit from the 105 - 110mm ski you mention. (They've been doing well out there!) And it COULD happen that you'll be spending a lot of time on the more distant and difficult terrain where that fresh snow is not groomed or skied out right away. It COULD happen that you'll be able to suck in enough oxygen to support that endeavor. (Kind of kidding with that last one. Kind of.)

Statistically it's not likely, though. Buying new fat skis for the occasion definitely reduces the chances of powder. Random data point: I take two or three week-long trips to the Rockies every year and haven't used my fat skis since 2019, for example, despite schlepping them with me. (If you are planning destinations last minute, around storms, that's different.)

Other design elements are as important as width, in softer snow, on bigger terrain, in trees, etc. If you're going to bring one ski and stick with it though thick or thin, a friendly ski in the 95 - 100mm range would be a great choice to bring to Breck. And you could use it sometimes at home too.

I'm not as on board as some others here with the Deacon as a great choice for Breck during a decent week. Not the width, per se, but the carvy groomer-oriented design.

Obviously ski choice is not going to keep you from having fun, regardless, as @Tytlynz64 says. Meanwhile his excellent point about not spending precious time in the shop is worth noting. Sometimes demos are fun; other times it feels more like an expensive, disruptive, and disappointing time suck.

Edit: Cross posted with a couple people above. I'm slow.

tomahawkins

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
It COULD happen that you'll get plenty of fresh snow and benefit from the 105 - 110mm ski you mention. (They've been doing well out there!) And it COULD happen that you'll be spending a lot of time on the more distant and difficult terrain where that fresh snow is not groomed or skied out right away. It COULD happen that you'll be able to suck in enough oxygen to support that endeavor.

Quandary

Out on the slopes
Skier
How many days per season will you be skiing in the Rockies? If even 50% are powder days (highly unlikely) can you really justify the expense of buying over renting?

Say what!! Of course you can justify another pair of skis, regardless of how many you already have!!!

I should note that while I have skied my 86GTs (they are shorties at 175) all over Breck and they will "work" must anywhere, barring a big snow, I would not choose them to be my daily driver in the Rockies. Of my current collection my first choice of skis, assuming no new decent dump, when I am not sure what I'll be skiing or heading to Vail to ski with friends etc is my Ranger 102FRs or Praxis 9D8s. i.e. my daily drivers

Crank

Making fresh tracks
Skier
If it dumps rent fatter skis. You don't need to lose ski time if you take care of business after lifts close.

Breck is really high altitude so pay some attention to that. Tons of altitude advice somewhere online. I have more issues sleeping at 9k than I do skiing at 12K. Hydrate.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
Say what!! Of course you can justify another pair of skis, regardless of how many you already have!!!

I should note that while I have skied my 86GTs (they are shorties at 175) all over Breck and they will "work" must anywhere, barring a big snow, I would not choose them to be my daily driver in the Rockies. Of my current collection my first choice of skis, assuming no new decent dump, when I am not sure what I'll be skiing or heading to Vail to ski with friends etc is my Ranger 102FRs or Praxis 9D8s. i.e. my daily drivers
I skied 20"+ fresh in Horseshoe Bowl t-bar lap after lap all day on a pair of 195 cm 6?mm GS skis. Did not get tired. But I was skiing pretty fast and there wasn't even a line. Ahh back in the good old days..

princo

Getting off the lift
Skier
yrvy61oijm941.jpg

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I skied 20"+ fresh in Horseshoe Bowl t-bar lap after lap all day on a pair of 195 cm 6?mm GS skis. Did not get tired. But I was skiing pretty fast and there wasn't even a line. Ahh back in the good old days..
Maybe if you had some modern skis we'd see you out there actually skiing with us instead of just commenting on how good the old days were.

Last edited:

tromano

Goin' the way they're pointed...
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
It really depends on the skier and what you want. If you want to ski mostly groomers then the deacon is a fine choice. If you want to go more off trail, there are much better options. Snow depth and powder are not really relevant for planning what ski to take. Think about your agenda and how you want to ski it - thats much more important.

Consider a more versatile ski shape and rocker profile a ski that is up for anything is a much better choice for exploring. Something like a salomon qst, fischer ranger, or elan rip stick would be worth a look.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
Maybe if you had some modern skis we'd see you out there actually skiing with us instead of just commenting on how good the old days were.
I was skiing Monday, on Y2K compatible gear How about you? I'd ski with you but I doubt you could keep up..

ADKmel

Skiing the powder
Skier
I skied 20"+ fresh in Horseshoe Bowl t-bar lap after lap all day on a pair of 195 cm 6?mm GS skis. Did not get tired. But I was skiing pretty fast and there wasn't even a line. Ahh back in the good old days
Totally agree..The good old days! I loved my 190 or are they 195 4Gs Skied Colorado 1994? They skied fine in 20+
I think I was at Keystone for this photo

Attachments

• 20211102_120754.jpg
    20211102_120754.jpg
    150.1 KB · Views: 22