• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Recommended ski width for Breckenridge?

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
If I can find a ski that also works reasonably well in east-coast goopy slush we get in warm weather (like right now at Snowshoe), I might end up buying, because then I could use them in both places. I don't know if that's a reasonable thing to aim for.

Thanks!
--Kevin

IMO it isn't really reasonable.

Colorado gets enough days of light blower snow that sits on top of heavy consolidated mank to justify a 110+ ski in flexes that are waaaay too soft for either Snowshoe goop or PNW cement like @tomahawkins gets.

When it's that light, a 95-100mm ski - or a 110 mm ski in flexes that don't get tossed in heavy goop - tends to dive. There are some exceptions to this, but they're all rockered past being able to carve right.

My vote is to get another ski - but get a slightly fatter one that would works well for you in Colorado bumps and Snowshoe goop and PNW cement. Rent the 110++ super floater.

Roundturns

Getting off the lift
Skier
yrvy61oijm941.jpg
Maybe one of then greatest post ever! Still chuckling.

tomahawkins

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
IMO it isn't really reasonable.

Colorado gets enough days of light blower snow that sits on top of heavy consolidated mank to justify a 110+ ski in flexes that are waaaay too soft for either Snowshoe goop or PNW cement like @tomahawkins gets.

When it's that light, a 95-100mm ski - or a 110 mm ski in flexes that don't get tossed in heavy goop - tends to dive. There are some exceptions to this, but they're all rockered past being able to carve right.

My vote is to get another ski - but get a slightly fatter one that would works well for you in Colorado bumps and Snowshoe goop and PNW cement. Rent the 110++ super floater.
I’m still looking for that ski that makes my cement feel like light blower snow.

Quandary

Out on the slopes
Skier
I skied 20"+ fresh in Horseshoe Bowl t-bar lap after lap all day on a pair of 195 cm 6?mm GS skis. Did not get tired. But I was skiing pretty fast and there wasn't even a line. Ahh back in the good old days..

I used to ski 200cm Stratos 102s everywhere and drove a Dodge Duster with a 318 V8. Doesn't mean I would choose those options today given the advancement in ........... everything.

They where awesome skis by the way!

drz1050

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
I was in Breck a couple years back with some friends from the East coast, I had a lot of fun on Coreupt Candide Pows (102 underfoot), but some of my buddies were on 80somethings, and they did just fine too. Am jelly of your trip, hope you have a great time! The big chairs get packed there, but we had a lot of fun lapping 6 chair, there was a lot of snow hiding in the trees and no lines.

Lane Myer

Putting on skis
Skier
Took a late Feb trip to Breck last season and spent four days on 84s which I thought were perfect for the snow conditions then, which were just ok. Was just in Steamboat over Christmas and brought those same 84s. Skied'em the first day and then demoed some QST 98s to get more float and have more fun in the deep conditions last week. As others have said, I'd bring what you've got and demo something wider if you get lucky. Have a great trip.

DerKommissar

Getting on the lift
Skier
Took a late Feb trip to Breck last season and spent four days on 84s which I thought were perfect for the snow conditions then, which were just ok. Was just in Steamboat over Christmas and brought those same 84s. Skied'em the first day and then demoed some QST 98s to get more float and have more fun in the deep conditions last week. As others have said, I'd bring what you've got and demo something wider if you get lucky. Have a great trip.
I was also in breck around the same time last year and I also skied 84’s and had a blast. Granted it was a low snow period, but I never felt out of wack anywhere on any of the peaks or steeps I tried. I’ll be in crested butte and breck agin this Feb and I’m planking in bringing my 84s and demoing something wider if needed.

Eric@ict

Out on the slopes
Skier
Bring your skis. You’ll be fine. I’ve been skiing 88s for the last two weeks at Breck and having a blast. If you need some fattys, rent them while you’re here.

TS
K

kwahoo

Booting up
Skier
Hi everyone, I thought I should report back. Sorry it took so long to follow up. I ended up renting a pair of Nordica Enforcer 100s. They were fantastic! We went all over and they handled everything well - carving really well on groomed runs; stable when straightlining; decent on blown-out, crusty runs; good in moguls; and fantastic in the nice deep powder in the bowls. We also got 3" one day and 15" the next day, which was a blast.

Hard to imagine what would be better but open to suggestions on other things to try next time! Völkl Mantra comes to mind.

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
My son and I are going to Breck in a week. We live in the Mid-Atlantic region and mostly ski at Snowshoe, so we have narrow-ish skis. Mine are 84 underfoot, his are 80. We mostly ski blacks ("east coast blacks") such as Cupp and Shay's at Snowshoe. It seems like the general consensus for skiing in Colorado is not to bother bringing such narrow skis, and instead to demo some wider skis. Rental shops in the area have an overwhelming array of choices. I spent some time researching my skis recently, and ended up with the Völkl Deacon 84, but looking at wider skis, I feel like a complete noob.

Any suggestions on a range of widths to consider? We'll probably spend a fair amount of time on groomed runs, and want to be able to carve, but it seems like they get enough snow that even these may have reasonable amounts of powder, and we want to be able to ski areas that aren't groomed. As best I can tell from some research, something in the 105-115 range might be suitable, but I don't have much confidence. Also, any advice on what kind of rocker/camber profile is best?

If I can find a ski that also works reasonably well in east-coast goopy slush we get in warm weather (like right now at Snowshoe), I might end up buying, because then I could use them in both places. I don't know if that's a reasonable thing to aim for.

Thanks!
--Kevin

99% of the time the widest ski I use at Breck is 102mm wide unless its a rare special day and I want something different. You want good edgehold and good stability at speed there in general. I love the place. I wouldnt focus on a specific width but rather the ski design and length that better suits you.

That said conditions do change and if its a powder day you might want to try more powder oriented skis just to have some fun and take advantage of the snow in a different way.

Regarding the Deacon 84's they are great for daily use here in Colorado. I demoed them a few seasons ago and liked them. You should be more than good with those.

Last edited:

Sponsor

Staff online