• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Pacific NW/AK/BC Red Mountain, BC

Michael V

Getting off the lift
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Was in Red Mountain last week Feb 12-19, 2022. After a tough travel day from New Jersey, and getting turned away at the border due to Trucker protests, we arrived at Red, and they were much in the need of snow.... Fortunately it was a mid 30's the first day, with plenty of sunshine, and the southern exposures were spring like, and tons of fun. Things turned around quickly with 6-9"of new snow, and we found the tress on the northern faces were holding all the snow. I'm not an authority on tree skiing, but the tree skiing at Red was simply awesome IMHO. The trail signage or lack there of made it a little challenging to know exactly what or where you were skiing (since you can ski just about everywhere), but once past some tricky entrances, the trees opened up, and they held the fresh snow all week. (just stay away from anything that was sun exposed after temps warm up).

All in all, Red Mountain, BC was an incredible mountain. No high speed lifts (actually only a handful of lifts as well), but never a lift line, and we were the only ones to be found, on many, many runs. An amazing location with 360 deg skiing off Granite mtn, 270 deg of Red mtn, and 180+ deg skiing off of Grey mtn, giving you locations to follow the sun, or shade all day. Steeps, trees, cliffs, rocks, etc.. just awesome. Will definitely return.

Stayed at the Josie. Can't get any closer to the lift. They just need better transportation to/fro Rossland, and this would be an epic destination.

tch

What do I know; I'm just some guy on the internet.
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Shuuuussshhh!!!

newboots

Learning to carve!
Skier
I noticed (after I saw a ski club trip notice) that Red seems to have big-mountain skiing but not challenging altitude - I think it was around 6,000 ft.? This appealed to me because I am expecting to have difficulty with altitude if I ever get out west.

TS
Michael V

Michael V

Getting off the lift
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I noticed (after I saw a ski club trip notice) that Red seems to have big-mountain skiing but not challenging altitude - I think it was around 6,000 ft.? This appealed to me because I am expecting to have difficulty with altitude if I ever get out west.
Yep, no altitude issues to deal with. Will definitely be returning, just hoping for direct flights to Spokane or other closer Canadian airports in the future. Was a bit rough to get to from the NY/NJ area. Absolutely amazing mountain and I can't wait together back there under better snow conditions.

newboots

Learning to carve!
Skier
Yep, no altitude issues to deal with. Will definitely be returning, just hoping for direct flights to Spokane or other closer Canadian airports in the future. Was a bit rough to get to from the NY/NJ area. Absolutely amazing mountain and I can't wait together back there under better snow conditions.
Hey! It was your ski club whose notice I saw! I was tempted but since grandchild #2 arrived on 2/11, I did not decide to go. One day.

johnnyvw

Out on the slopes
Skier
I visted Red while on a business trip, I'm guessing maybe 25 years ago. Got my first taste of over the knee powder that day, while still in the straight ski era. At that time it was pretty rustic/basic, and definitely a "locals" area. But wow, what great skiing! Spent most of my time off the Paradise chair (back then Red and Granite were the only peaks developed)

johnnyvw

Out on the slopes
Skier
The most interesting part of the trip was the border crossing back into the US. I had a late morning flight out of Spokane. Figured I would get up extra early, skip breakfast, and make sure I got to the airport in plenty of time. To my surprise, the border crossing had set hours, so when I got there it was closed! (and by that, I mean barricaded) Went back to the hotel, found out what time it opened, ate breakfast, and then drove like mad to make my flight. Too much adventure!! :geek:

graham418

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
@mikelrv , I was there from the 6th to the 13th. Was that you and your group I took a picture of for you? and chatted to in the dining room at dinner in the Josie? Did you fly to Spokane and drive? Apparently its faster to drive from there than Kelowna.
We had a week of no new snow, but bluebird days every single day. Rocks and stumps are starting to show. We had some local knowledge skiing with us , so he showed us where and when to ski which runs, when they would have softened up. Also, which tree runs had some snow. There are a lot of steep trees there!!
We stayed at the Josie Hotel, right at the hill. Pretty lux, with a ski concierge to put your skis out in the rack and put them away for you at night. Nice patio to soak up the afternoon sun and some libations. The day lodge across the way also has a nice sunny exposure for some acres beer.
A pretty old school place, no high speed lifts, just a couple of fixed grip triples and quads. There was no one there while we were there. Sometimes we were the only ones on the lift for as far as you could see ahead, and looking down at the runs, you couldn't tell if it was to crusty to ski, or if it just because the last skier went down an hour ago. There was so few people.
Dining is pretty thin on the hill, and dinner choices are few. You can take a cab into Rossland, but I think there is only one cab. Don't even think you're getting an Uber!
The lounge at the Josie is pricey, ( was that your room we charged the tomahawk steak to? just kidding) and there is a cafe with excellent food a few doors down from the hotel, or a 15 minute walk gets you to a roadhouse on the highway
I will definitely be coming back here even though it is a pain to get to. There is a lot of terrain that we didn't get to ski because of lack of snow, so there is still lots to discover

John O

Getting off the lift
Skier
Will definitely be returning, just hoping for direct flights to Spokane or other closer Canadian airports in the future.
Spokane is going to be the closest option that you have any hope of getting a direct flight to. The closest airport is Castlegar, but you definitely won't get a direct flight there, and from talking to people, Spokane is your more reliable option anyway. Castlegar is apparently nicknamed "Cancelgar".

TS
Michael V

Michael V

Getting off the lift
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
@mikelrv , I was there from the 6th to the 13th. Was that you and your group I took a picture of for you? and chatted to in the dining room at dinner in the Josie? Did you fly to Spokane and drive? Apparently its faster to drive from there than Kelowna.
We were there from the 12-19. So would don have crossed paths on 12 or 13th so I'm not sure if we did meet. We did fly into Spokane, and drive up. Gott urned away at the border due to protests, and had to find an alternate crossing. (was a bit of an adventure)

The group had a great time, and yes felt like we had mountain to ourselves a lot.

Sponsor

Staff online