• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Refresher 2022

skiJ

Getting off the lift
Skier
well ,,, I was finally able to complete the on-line Refresher for 2022 -
it was not an easy process...

the program locked-up many times - though that seemed to be an issue with one pane in module Three.

The team was Good - and prompt - about responding when concerns were reported ( kudos, Mr. Dunn ) ;

colleagues have also reported challenges...

so, my purpose with this post is two-fold -
to offer a cautionary 'heads-up' to anyone that thinks they are going to be able to complete the on-line Refresher in three hours the week before a skills Refresher , and

to offer a forum to share comments about the Refresher between patrollers...

Good luck with your Refresher -
hopefully, if you have not yet started yours, they will have the glitches worked-out when you do yours ( your on-line Refresher ) --

Daylight is getting shorter ;
mornings are not as Warm...

Opening day will come...

Thank you. skiJ

ZionPow

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I completed about 50% of the online refresher and I concur with your comments concerning the time required to complete it. I did not experience the lock up issues that you mentioned. The content of the course seems more in depth than previous online refreshers and I thought it was a pretty good review. I am definitely ready for ski season now since we had a record-breaking hot summer in Utah. I do enjoy the fall mountain biking but this summer I wished I had pursued a summer patrol exchange to the southern hemisphere as they had a great snow year so far. Let it snow anytime now!

jmeb

Enjoys skiing.
Skier
Good reminder I should do this soon. Busy moving houses and jettisoning ski gear. Ya'll must do hill refreshers early if you're already thinking about this. Ours are early Oct and we're typically near the first to open.

stan51

Getting on the lift
Skier
I found some of the quizzes to be confusing. For instance, the boot removal quiz (1.12) asks for the steps needed to remove a boot. The "correct" answer included considerations about when and where to remove a boot, which to my literal mind are not part of the physical steps of boot removal. They are important, but not what the question asked for. Moreover, the question asked for "steps" and the answer was labeled "aspects" of boot removal.

Some of the other quizzes were almost as unclear about what they were looking for, but this was the one that seemed to completely change the goal from question to "correct answer".

Still working through it. Despite my complaints, this is a vast improvement over last year, which was amateurish at best.

Chris Axebiker

Recovering Meadowskipper
Skier
I hung it up this year. NSP is a mess, and if I'm volunteering my time, PAYING for the privilege to help people, the least they could do is get their s**t together, but they have - sadly - proven over and over that they cannot. It was a good run - 14 years as a patroller, 3 years as a shop tech, and another 4 as an instructor. Time to call it a day skiing for others, and time to remember why I loved skiing so much in the first place. Good luck to all of you vollies that are hanging on while NSP wastes your dues, and then raises them to cover their stupidity.

jmeb

Enjoys skiing.
Skier
The NSP board is a complete s*** show. I feel bad for their staff. It's making it hard for me to care about acquiring "senior status" for an organization I lose more and more faith in.