• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Rehab Redux- Moots Routt project

Erik Timmerman

So much better than a pro
Instructor
Well that's simple enough. Do you want power or "road feel" choose your hose accordingly. As long as you use the right olive and barb you'd be fine.

TS
Ron

Ron

Seeking the next best ski
SkiTalk Tester
hmm, find me something from Shimano that has tested and certified that changing hoses is approved. I'm not descending a pass at 45mph to find that out.

Josh Matta

Skiing the powder
Pass Pulled
Objectively why arent they compatible?

People do stuff like this all the time....

Hydro brake line is the same across all brands.... just the barbs and fluids change......

also if the brakes work in a parking lot they are going to work at 45mph.....

TS
Ron

Ron

SkiTalk Tester
So here is the final version with Etap Red. Absolutely love the bike. Rides so smooth. Once you go etap, you can't go back :)However, I am really loving the AXS on my Emonda set to Sequential shifting. identifying all of the required parts proved to be "interesting" but in the end, it all worked out. the biggest surprise was that the weight came in at exactly 18#! A huge chunk of weight. when I first bough it, it weighed almost 21#

33EEFF23-1C1C-4756-8EA7-C222BF4A12C2_1_201_a.jpeg
3F6B5C2A-062A-4FFF-9790-4BF97312B084_1_201_a.jpeg
C05A4A86-4629-4C18-B296-DB9427717472_1_201_a.jpeg

Last edited:
TS
Ron

Ron

SkiTalk Tester
yeah, I thought the all orange was overwhelming. it didnt flow. Plus,, I started using Supacaz tape and its pretty fantastic stuff. feels like leather and does a really incredible job of vibration mitigation.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
, I started using Supacaz tape and its pretty fantastic stuff. feels like leather and does a really incredible job of vibration mitigation.

I noticed you did an extra loop under the hoods - I did too - 'coz it's unnerving when the hood rubber is stiffer than the tape :ogbiggrin:

Are you going to try Silca's fancy hysteresis material, for science?

TS
Ron

Ron

SkiTalk Tester
I'm still learning! :). that was the idea. I figured it added a little extra cushioning. I left it loose enough to allow the small knob on the rubber to impress the tape.

Maybe when Silca makes a silver and orange thingy's on their tape. :). The Supacaz is pretty great stuff.. I've only put about 100 miles on it but I really am impressed.

Last edited:

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
Herself has ~1200 on hers - the logos are worn off - but it's still flexy and squish whereas her Spesh gel tape oozed all the gel out over the winter so now it's seaweed-crisp with sticky ick.

TS
Ron

Ron

SkiTalk Tester
Soooo,, I ended up using this bike much more for gravel only rides and I had to update the color scheme accordingly.. :). I got tired of the orange an so here's the final, final final version. I also went to a Ti seat post for added comfort and a much better seat rail clasp system. I wish it had AXS.....

22EB9577-54DD-4D0C-B1D5-76AAFE7EF762_1_201_a.jpeg

TS
Ron

Ron

SkiTalk Tester
So, after over 1.5 years in the refining to what I actually like and prefer in terms of gearing, tires, stem height, handlebars, saddles and wheels as well as the overall look of the bike, here she is. Its been a fun trip. I love what I ended up with. AXS with Force derailleurs, shifter with Red Crank and Cassette, Moots, Stem and Seatpost, Specialized Power Arc Elaston 143 saddle, Enve Gravel 42" Handlebars, GravelKing SS 38 tires and Enve G23 wheels. Silver CK headset and Silver seat post clamp. And Shimano ES600 pedals which I love for gravel. Weighs 19.15#. My Friend just opened a RETUL shop here in town so I get to be the training subject in turn for free fittings.

5022EE0C-8586-4B98-BC9D-A49C12D77FD9_1_201_a.jpeg
BB706C88-D0C9-43A5-8642-A57A3C4889B5_1_201_a.jpeg

Last edited:
TS
Ron

Ron

SkiTalk Tester
I'm happy to report after several hundred gravel miles, the bike has not changed with the exception of XTR pedals which are just more practical and I wore out my cheapo BB and I replaced it with a nice silver CK. :). I didnt think it would show much but it really looks nice. I also put a 43mm Gravelking SS tire on the front. its really nice on the rougher and deeper stuff. I cant fit a 43 out back. And lastly, after adopting a new fit approach, (Steve Hoggs and Phil Burt) I went to a 20mm setback post and 167.5 cranks.

My name is on the list for a new custom frame by Brad Bingham (Eriksen cycles) but everything will be ported over to the new Ti frame. I will be selling the 58cm Moots frame..... probable wont be built till spring. We are doing some special stuff to the rear chain and seat stays (details once decided on). going to a 71* head, lower BB, 3rd water bottle, clearance for 43's but maintaining a AXS Force front derailleur.

Last edited:

Sponsor