• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

International (Europe/Japan/Southern Hemisphere) Relocating to Australia

Decreed_It

I'd rather be skiing
Skier
Welp, my ski season will continue in the Southern Hemisphere, family is relocating to Sydney end of June/1st of July.

Stoked to continue skiing in my "summer". Beyond that we mountain bike, hike, backpack, camp etc so really looking forward to connecting w/ fellow Ski talkers in the region for outdoors beta.

socalgal

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Wow that's a big move! Strictly work related ? Or do you have family there also?

James

Out There
Instructor
Maybe @geepers has some tips, but he may be in Melbourne.

I would love to ski in Tasmania. I could see going just for that. Yeah I get it’s a gazillion miles away, and prob terrible, but then there’s nothing between you and Antarctica.

geepers

Skiing the powder
Skier
Welp, my ski season will continue in the Southern Hemisphere, family is relocating to Sydney end of June/1st of July.

Stoked to continue skiing in my "summer". Beyond that we mountain bike, hike, backpack, camp etc so really looking forward to connecting w/ fellow Ski talkers in the region for outdoors beta.

Coming at a good time as hopefully by early July the season will be in progress. Skiing in Australia is hit and miss. In the right weeks in a good season it's thoroughly entertaining. In a bad season - well, you have to be keen but there's always some fun to be had.

Normally very limited skiing in June with poor cover. Best conditions tend to be later July (after the school holidays) and before late August when it typically gets warm, although there will be spring skiing through September. Mid-week outside school holidays are usually best - weekends can be chaotic.

About 5.5->6 hours drive from Sydney to the 2 main resorts, Thredbo and Perisher. So not really close enough for a day trip. There's a couple of smaller resorts - Mt Selwyn (which was totally destroyed in the 2019/20 bushfires but will re-open this season) and Charlottes Pass. Thredbo and Perisher have their respective fans. Thredbo is the one with bigger vertical and more entertaining terrain.

It's too late for the pre-season pass deals however some on-line pre-purchasing in advance can keep the financial hemorrhaging down. And gives the opportunity to sample to see which resort suits best. (Skip Selwyn.) Perisher is owned by Vail so Epic passes will have some rights. They also own 2 resorts in Victoria which can be driven to from Sydney although it's a long day's drive.

TS
Decreed_It

Decreed_It

I'd rather be skiing
Skier
Wow that's a big move! Strictly work related ? Or do you have family there also?
Strictly work, wife's company - mine is playing nice and I get to keep my job just work from the region. However, we know a lot of folks there through our work, many families which have become friends over the years and we did summer vacation there in 2019 and fell in love.

@geepers thanks for the Beta. I'm hopeful to get down to Thredbo on my Ikon pass this season to check it out, definitely mid week August if possible, that's prime moving time for us so, we'll see. And, I'm from North Carolina in the Southeastern US so - we know crap snow, I assure you :ogbiggrin:

Very excited to head "over the ditch" I think y'all say? To NZ for a weekend or two. And then of course Japanuary.

TS
Decreed_It

Decreed_It

I'd rather be skiing
Skier
I would love to ski in Tasmania. I could see going just for that. Yeah I get it’s a gazillion miles away, and prob terrible, but then there’s nothing between you and Antarctica.
Challenge accepted. We will see what is possible, that's my jam. "Sounds like a terrible idea. Let's do it."

TS
Decreed_It

Decreed_It

I'd rather be skiing
Skier
That's easy. It's Australia.

Anything and everything *will* try to kill you. Spiders. Octopi. Marsupials. Magpies. :P
We started following local news channels there on social media - incredibly there was a Magpie attack outbreak in New South Wales or might have been Queensland around Brisbane, I shite you not :eek:

And we'll have to train everyone to shake out their shoes before they put them on!

geepers

Skiing the powder
Skier

Nothing "prob" about it.

Anything and everything *will* try to kill you. Spiders. Octopi. Marsupials. Magpies. :P

chris_the_wrench

Spinning wrenches and throwing spokes.
Skier
Can’t comment on Australian skiing, but I had a dang good time down there free diving the Whitsunday islands. I grew up surfing/freediving and I respect sharks but not terribly scared of them, on the other hand those crocs scare the living crap out of me!! Oh yeah and those micro jelly fish that can paralyze you…not a fan of those either.. but I loved it down there!! Lots of cool 4x4’s!!

BMC

Out on the slopes
Skier

Pm me when you get to the country and we can try to organise a catch up at a pub. I also ski thredbo so can see if that works too.

I’m biased but I love Sydney. The Oz skiing isn’t world class by any means but if you have low expectations, it’s fun, just like any skiing is fun.

Lots more to do of course as I’m sure you know.

Sponsor