• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
In 1999, @AC_ had a vision to create a place where people who were passionate about skiing could hang out and talk about all things skiing, which was the beginning of EpicSki.com. Over the years, the passion shared by the members fueled conversations about ski instruction, ski gear, ski trips, ski resorts, ski academies, ski gatherings, and even a few ski weddings ... including ours.

EPICRIP.jpeg

We witnessed several evolutions of EpicSki as platforms and ownership changed, but the community kept humming along. AC nursed Epic as an infant, nurturing the site so it could indeed walk (or, in this case, ski) on its own. Nolo then took EpicSki to adulthood, and finally Mountain News Corp. ownership took it to the end. Technically, MNC is not shutting down EpicSki: Wikia shut down Huddler, leaving Epic without a platform.

Today we say goodbye to our old friend as we knew it. But we continue to build on its sense of community and discussion of all things skiing.

@Dave Petersen for image.

5/5/17 MOD NOTE:
Please note the changing of the title.
While the topic is no longer "Breaking News," it is still a subject that will be ongoing for the next months -- and even a year, until many of the Bears come out of summer hibernation and start foraging for skiing content and information.

We have this thread where we want to keep all of the information centralized and the "Booting Up: New Member Introductions" where you can re-introduce yourself to the community. So, if you have any questions regarding Epic or you want to add your thoughts and memories, please do so here. If you happened to miss this thread and start a new one, we will just merge it into this thread. It really isn't a biggy, but we are trying to keep it a bit organized so people aren't looking all over.

Last edited by a moderator:

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
It's pretty sad, and unfortunately unceremonious... I really enjoyed my time and efforts there, and I feel for the folks who may lose connections with other users, or community participation that they enjoyed. I didn't think I'd get so involved in skiing, nor a ski forum, so much; But EpicSki was a big reason I did... and I met a lot of great folks through it.

On a more positive note, I suspect you'll be seeing me around here a lot more frequently. (OK, maybe that's not a positive for everyone. :D)

graham418

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Wow. Epic is the forum I first found out about. A wealth of information there, even if some of the chatter was a little snIde or snarky. It will be missed I'm sure. Long Live Pugski!

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Sad day - learned how to actually ski (kinda?) and met so many great people thanks to that place.

Moving to Huddlr, selling to Vail, getting rid of P&T - it was inevitable.
I met you at my first ESA when I was breaking out of my shell. Thank you for being part of my Epic family and for continuing to be part of my Pug family.

This is a tough one for me.

SkiNurse

Spontaneous Christy
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Bittersweet. It is where I have met many of the people I have skied with and a lot of these people became some of my best friends. :hug:

bbinder

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Sad day - learned how to actually ski (kinda?) and met so many great people thanks to that place.

Moving to Huddlr, selling to Vail, getting rid of P&T - it was inevitable.
Took the words right out of my mouth. Without epicski, I would not ski as well as I do, and I would not have the friends that I have today.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
The writing was on the wall 2 years ago, then in bold a year ago, now in neon. R.I.P. EpicSki. Glad have many great ski and beyond skiing friendships formed there and new ones here as well. Welcome to all who are looking here as a new place to frequent! Even Dave B!:duck:

bbinder

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I met you at my first ESA when I was breaking out of my shell. Thank you for being part of my Epic family and for continuing to be part of my Pug family.

This is a tough one for me.
And I remember meeting YOU at the same ESA.

John O

Getting off the lift
Skier
Wow, that's really a shame. I spent far more time on Epic than any other online forum. It was the first one I ever really felt a part of. And not to mention the wealth of information that will be gone.

Tyler Wenzel

(tylrwnzl on the former EpicSki)
Skier
The writing was on the wall 2 years ago, then in bold a year ago, now in neon. R.I.P. EpicSki. Glad have many great ski and beyond skiing friendships formed there and new ones here as well. Welcome to all who are looking here as a new place to frequent! Even Dave B!:duck:

Am I welcome too Charles? ;)

It is a sad day indeed. I have many fond memories on EpicSki, but unfortunately circumstances killed a wonderful thing. Change is inevitable, especially on the Internet.

Sponsor