• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Reno's pilot project to make cycling downtown safer

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Since I don't commute on my bike, this is not a positive impact for me, but I'm all for safer cycling for those who are riding down town, whether commuting or for other reasons.
I will say, the baracade lanes were a bit tricky to figure out at first, but...we'll see how this goes long term.

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier
It's a tricky thing to navigate..especially here where very few commute by bike in winter. But the myriad of "solutions" is daunting. And none seem to really work.. I personally like a simple painted line 3' off the curb..easy and pretty effective.. Other solutions are more infrastructure. Parking for stores is a big deal..but it's all manageable. I'm just not sure the majority see the benefit...

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Since I don't commute on my bike, this is not a positive impact for me, but I'm all for safer cycling for those who are riding down town, whether commuting or for other reasons.
I will say, the baracade lanes were a bit tricky to figure out at first, but...we'll see how this goes long term.

I think Virginia should be closed from 4th or 5th to Liberty on the south side of the river. Make it a plaza. It gets closed down several times in the summer anyway for special events. North-south traffic can use Sierra and Center which are already one way streets. Except for the very few parking spaces that were on Virginia, all the parking in that area is either in garages accessed by Sierra and Center or some random street parking away from Virginia. I can't believe those pawn shops and gift stores are even still in business. The scooters are a hazard whether in traffic or dropped on the sidewalks where people are trying to walk. (Thoughts from an old curmudgeon.)

wooglin

Making fresh tracks
Skier
It's a tricky thing to navigate..especially here where very few commute by bike in winter. But the myriad of "solutions" is daunting. And none seem to really work.. I personally like a simple painted line 3' off the curb..easy and pretty effective.. Other solutions are more infrastructure. Parking for stores is a big deal..but it's all manageable. I'm just not sure the majority see the benefit...
I think everyone should obey the law and be courteous. I also believe in the tooth fairy.

TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I think Virginia should be closed from 4th or 5th to Liberty on the south side of the river. Make it a plaza. It gets closed down several times in the summer anyway for special events. North-south traffic can use Sierra and Center which are already one way streets. Except for the very few parking spaces that were on Virginia, all the parking in that area is either in garages accessed by Sierra and Center or some random street parking away from Virginia. I can't believe those pawn shops and gift stores are even still in business. The scooters are a hazard whether in traffic or dropped on the sidewalks where people are trying to walk. (Thoughts from an old curmudgeon.)
I agree with you on the idea of making Virginia street a plaza.

luliski

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Even in Davis, CA, where we’ve long had bicycling infrastructure all over town, when there’s a change, drivers are at first resistant. Everyone seems gets used to the change after a while. The latest project I can remember involved adding the green bike only pavement at stoplights, so that right turn drivers wouldn’t hit or block bikes going straight; and making one of the main roads leading from east end of town to the edge of the UC Davis campus one lane in the section skirting the downtown (and adding a bike lane there). People complained about those changes for quite a while, but local drivers got used to it. People here are used to driving around bikes, but some of my out-of-town coworkers are terrified when they have to drive into town.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
Durham's been on a bike friendly crusade for almost a decade now but they are still regularly taking a busy 4 lane road and changing it to a 3 lane (center turns) with a 3 foot bike lane on either side. I wonder if the hybrid work model that seems to be still sticking as we emerge from the pandemic isolation will keep traffic down enough overall so we don't still need those 4 lane roads that are now becoming 2.5 lane roads..

Wilhelmson

Making fresh tracks
Skier
We were in Manhattan this past weekend. They seem to balance it welll. There is the benefit of planned wide streets leaving enough space for parking. There are so many things blocking parts of the roads now that It definitely not great for bikers or cars but definitely doable. There are some designated routes down and cross town.

Sponsor

Staff online

• Dwight
    Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid