• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

LabMan

No Turns
Skier
Hello.......are there any members that own or have skied the new Renoun Atlas? Looking for reviews.
Thanks,
Labman

TS
LabMan

LabMan

No Turns
Skier
Thanks again.........looking for some "on snow" reviews if possible.
Kind regards,

RobSN

Out on the slopes
Skier
I've got them. I'm 65 yrs old, 196lbs. I have the 177cm length. They are amazing: my description is that they have afterburners on them - you can go incredibly fast on the groomers yet feel completely in control (that might be an illusion for me, but hey, that's what they feel like). The only problem I've had was when I was braking from high speed (ahem, shall we say I was exceeding the 55mph speed limit) and popped out of my bindings - which is/was a binding tension issue, not a ski issue: I'm pretty certain that if I hadn't popped out, then as per usual they would have responded as much or more than one would expect. I'm astounded by them, and I love them - they are the most incredible fun skis to have on one's feet.

TS
LabMan

LabMan

No Turns
Skier
I've got them. I'm 65 yrs old, 196lbs. I have the 177cm length. They are amazing: my description is that they have afterburners on them - you can go incredibly fast on the groomers yet feel completely in control (that might be an illusion for me, but hey, that's what they feel like). The only problem I've had was when I was braking from high speed (ahem, shall we say I was exceeding the 55mph speed limit) and popped out of my bindings - which is/was a binding tension issue, not a ski issue: I'm pretty certain that if I hadn't popped out, then as per usual they would have responded as much or more than one would expect. I'm astounded by them, and I love them - they are the most incredible fun skis to have on one's feet.
Thank you Rob........I have the Z-77's in 165, I am 63. 165lbs and ski aggresively...always. I have not been a fan at all of the 77's. Renoun is offering to swap them for the Atlas. I appreciate your feedback, sounds like I will love them!

TS
LabMan

LabMan

No Turns
Skier
Is that for all owners of the Z-77's, or are you within your - forgotten the number of days - send back period? Calling @kimberlin ...
Not sure.......we were in Tahoe last year and we skied with Phil and I mentioned that I was not liking them so much (Z-77's) and he said that they were working on a new model then. I reached out to Renoun to return them and they made the suggestion that they would swap them for the Atlas if I wished. Thanks!

Masaki Goto

Booting up
Skier
Hello, Mr.LabMan.

I used atlas three times. and then I compared it to my AUGMENT SL WC for competition.

Sorry for my poor English skills.
I don't think I could write what I wanted to convey, but please refer to it.

Below is my impressions I skied and the link is my self title thread.

______________________________________________________________________________________________________
I was able to ski in various snow conditions because little snow here in Japan this year.

Binding : Marker griffon
Boots : LANG ZJ +, Size is 24.5cm (BSL = 285mm)

Day1 / Rustu Ski Resort in Rusutsu, Hokkai-do
Date: January 19th. Cloudy. Snow falls all day. The temperature was high and the snow was wet like March.

On this day, I used Atlas for the first time. First I lifted it by hand. Not too heavy, but not too light. I put on my skis and moved my feet. I felt the weight of the ski board only at my feet. And I skied on a gentle slope. It was a wet, hard slope. My first impression was that it was easy to go straight. Next is I went skiing on the middle slope with a wet powder of about 30cm. I dIdn't feel much floting power. But no worry about if the skis dive in the snow. Then I enjoyed skiing without any problems. There is no problem with tree run. Operation from edge to edge is also comfortable.

Day2 / Kagura Ski Resort in Echigoyuzawa, Niigata-ken
The date is January 26. Sunny, low temperature and cold. Good condition by snowfall until the day before. I enjoyed grooming snow and powder snow of about 20cm.

I got a different impression from the last time. The difference is between hard snow and powder snow. In hard snow, always better to be aware of edging. In light powder snow, maybe it feels like here on the clouds. In the evening, I skied on wet hard snow. There are few people and it is not bumpy yet. I made a razor line without vibration. I did not feel the effect of HDT.

Day3 / Ishiuchi Maruyama Ski Resort in Echigoyuzawa, Niigata-ken
The date is February 1. Sunny, slightly cold (not cold). Good condition with snowfall.

Record snow fell the day before. All courses are open, but the rough and hard slopes are hidden under the snow. For the first time, I understood the identity of Atlas. Ski flex is not very stiff. However, it doesn't feel like a ski for competition because I was hard to feel the deflection. And I felt the ski flex is hard at both low and high speeds. I think this is due to the metal content, not the effect of HDT.

And I was surprised at the steep slope. Edge holding is very strong. It seems to be standing on the ground if it compares. And I could easily move to next situation. It was even more surprising to be able to easily remove the edge from that situation. The operation of the ski is very smooth.

Considering these
I thought that it was better to choose 163cm (170cm or less) is for carving turn and 178cm or longer is more for stability.

I think that even intermediate people can enjoy this board.
However, if you are a highly skilled person, I think you can enjoy skiing more.

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Attachments

• IMG_0305.jpg
    IMG_0305.jpg
    77.1 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_0307.jpg
    IMG_0307.jpg
    89.9 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_0308.jpg
    IMG_0308.jpg
    221.5 KB · Views: 27
TS
LabMan

LabMan

No Turns
Skier
Is that for all owners of the Z-77's, or are you within your - forgotten the number of days - send back period? Calling @kimberlin ...
They did indeed replace my Z-77's with the Atlas. They arrived yesterday. My thinking is.........they know they missed the mark with the Z-77 and were happy to exchange for the Atlas to keep me in the Renoun family.

TS
LabMan

LabMan

No Turns
Skier
Hello, Mr.LabMan.

I used atlas three times. and then I compared it to my AUGMENT SL WC for competition.

Sorry for my poor English skills.
I don't think I could write what I wanted to convey, but please refer to it.

Below is my impressions I skied and the link is my self title thread.

______________________________________________________________________________________________________
I was able to ski in various snow conditions because little snow here in Japan this year.

Binding : Marker griffon
Boots : LANG ZJ +, Size is 24.5cm (BSL = 285mm)

Day1 / Rustu Ski Resort in Rusutsu, Hokkai-do
Date: January 19th. Cloudy. Snow falls all day. The temperature was high and the snow was wet like March.

On this day, I used Atlas for the first time. First I lifted it by hand. Not too heavy, but not too light. I put on my skis and moved my feet. I felt the weight of the ski board only at my feet. And I skied on a gentle slope. It was a wet, hard slope. My first impression was that it was easy to go straight. Next is I went skiing on the middle slope with a wet powder of about 30cm. I dIdn't feel much floting power. But no worry about if the skis dive in the snow. Then I enjoyed skiing without any problems. There is no problem with tree run. Operation from edge to edge is also comfortable.

Day2 / Kagura Ski Resort in Echigoyuzawa, Niigata-ken
The date is January 26. Sunny, low temperature and cold. Good condition by snowfall until the day before. I enjoyed grooming snow and powder snow of about 20cm.

I got a different impression from the last time. The difference is between hard snow and powder snow. In hard snow, always better to be aware of edging. In light powder snow, maybe it feels like here on the clouds. In the evening, I skied on wet hard snow. There are few people and it is not bumpy yet. I made a razor line without vibration. I did not feel the effect of HDT.

Day3 / Ishiuchi Maruyama Ski Resort in Echigoyuzawa, Niigata-ken
The date is February 1. Sunny, slightly cold (not cold). Good condition with snowfall.

Record snow fell the day before. All courses are open, but the rough and hard slopes are hidden under the snow. For the first time, I understood the identity of Atlas. Ski flex is not very stiff. However, it doesn't feel like a ski for competition because I was hard to feel the deflection. And I felt the ski flex is hard at both low and high speeds. I think this is due to the metal content, not the effect of HDT.

And I was surprised at the steep slope. Edge holding is very strong. It seems to be standing on the ground if it compares. And I could easily move to next situation. It was even more surprising to be able to easily remove the edge from that situation. The operation of the ski is very smooth.

Considering these
I thought that it was better to choose 163cm (170cm or less) is for carving turn and 178cm or longer is more for stability.

I think that even intermediate people can enjoy this board.
However, if you are a highly skilled person, I think you can enjoy skiing more.

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Thank you for your detailed review. I am looking forward to getting on these as soon as my new bindings arrive.

TS
LabMan

LabMan

No Turns
Skier
FINALLY.......just skied two contrasting days on my new Renoun Atlas 80, 170cm. I had Look Pivot 14 bindings installed and off to Snowshow, WV I went. Monday I skied hard snow in the morning that hour by hour softened and got turned into heavy crud. Skiing the hard stuff I literally had some hip dragging turns and these things rocked......unlike the Z-77's, they were solid as hell without ANY chatter whatsoever. When the snow got soft and pushed around, they just cut right through. I believe the adding of 2 sheets of metal and the geometry change has made this ski a winner! For a comparison, these are 128-80-113 and the Volkl Deacon 80's are 128-80-111. Thank you Renoun Skis for the awesome upgrade! I am looking forward to many more days on snow with these.
Labman

Sponsor