• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Individual Review RENOUN Endurance 88 (170)

Michael V

Getting off the lift
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Initial review of the RENOUN Endurance 88 based on 1 day on them.

First, I've been a huge fan of the RENOUN Z-90's. Having skied the Z-90's exclusively for the last 4 years (and being more then satisfied) as my single quiver ski for the northeast I decided it was time to try another RENOUN ski, the Endurance 88.

Me: 5'8" 160lbs, 54 yrs old, and tend to believe I still hit it pretty hard. I can be found on the edges of the trail, the trees, bumps, and ripping big GS turns on the groomers when the slopes are empty.
Skis: RENOUN Endurance 88 @ 170 w/ Pivot 15 bindings.
Conditions: Sugarbush (January 10, 2021) Northeast, hard pack, bumps, groomers and some natural snow trails with marginal cover.

Initial thoughts: I was concerned they would not carve as well as the Z-90s. That concern was gone in about 2 seconds... Wow, RENOUN nailed it again. These skis love the groomers and will rail (carve) as stable as the Z-90's. According to my GPS tracking, my very first run on these topped 45 mph. Hadn't plan to fly out of the gate, but they inspired confidence on the morning corduroy, and just wanted to fly. I was very surprised at the dampness as they feel considerably lighter than the Z-90's.

Throughout the day, I challenged the skis in different ways, from hard ice, to days old natural snow bumps (unfortunately no tree runs were open), and everything in-between. I tend to hug the edges, where it gets a little bumpy, but definitely softer, and these skis continued to surprise me all day. The edge grip on the icier and hard pack runs while letting them rip was amazing, driving them thru the ice cookies left from the overnight groomers proved VibeStop does work, and kept chatter to a minimum. Like the Z-90's the ski adapts amazingly to conditions and turn shape due to the VibeStop polymer. The biggest difference I found initially is how much lighter the Enduarce feel compared to the Z-90s. It did take a little time to adapt to that lightness, especially in short turn, and the bumps. I initially felt a bit more jarred in the bumps than I did with the Z-90's. Maybe jared is not the right term, but the skis reacted quickly as the shovel is pressured, When driving the skis through the bumps, I could definitely feel how much softer the Endurance skis are then the Z-90s (probably due to the Aspen vs Maple), as I initially felt the bumps were overwhelming the ski. However, I believe this was due to how I approached the bumps, trying to drive them through rather then using a lighter touch. As I adapted to the softer, quicker Endurance 88's I found they were far more playful in the bumps, requiring a lighter touch, and moved a bit quicker when needed then the Z-90's. I believe that is something I can quickly learn to love... and probably one of the big differences between the Z-90 and the Endurance lines. While the Z-90's require a lot of attention, the Endurance 88's allow you to play a bit more!

For as much as I have loved my Z-90's, as they have been my go anywhere, do everything single quiver ski, I believe the new Endurance 88's are their equal in may respects, and maybe a bit more fun across the mountain. I think RENOUN nailed it again, and the Endurance 88's could be an even better all mountain east coast ski then the Z-90s are. Simply stated, after only 1 day on them, I'd say the Z-90's are bit better carving on groomers, but the Endurance seem better everywhere else... I think it is my new one quiver ski. In fact, I doubt I'll taking the Z-90's again... That's how good these are. I'm looking forward to taking them in the trees, as well to Big Sky in a few weeks.

I will follow up as I get more time on these...

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Initial review of the RENOUN Endurance 88 based on 1 day on them.

First, I've been a huge fan of the RENOUN Z-90's. Having skied the Z-90's exclusively for the last 4 years (and being more then satisfied) as my single quiver ski for the northeast I decided it was time to try another RENOUN ski, the Endurance 88.

Me: 5'8" 160lbs, 54 yrs old, and tend to believe I still hit it pretty hard. I can be found on the edges of the trail, the trees, bumps, and ripping big GS turns on the groomers when the slopes are empty.
Skis: RENOUN Endurance 88 @ 170 w/ Pivot 15 bindings.
Conditions: Sugarbush (January 10, 2021) Northeast, hard pack, bumps, groomers and some natural snow trails with marginal cover.

Initial thoughts: I was concerned they would not carve as well as the Z-90s. That concern was gone in about 2 seconds... Wow, RENOUN nailed it again. These skis love the groomers and will rail (carve) as stable as the Z-90's. According to my GPS tracking, my very first run on these topped 45 mph. Hadn't plan to fly out of the gate, but they inspired confidence on the morning corduroy, and just wanted to fly. I was very surprised at the dampness as they feel considerably lighter than the Z-90's.

Throughout the day, I challenged the skis in different ways, from hard ice, to days old natural snow bumps (unfortunately no tree runs were open), and everything in-between. I tend to hug the edges, where it gets a little bumpy, but definitely softer, and these skis continued to surprise me all day. The edge grip on the icier and hard pack runs while letting them rip was amazing, driving them thru the ice cookies left from the overnight groomers proved VibeStop does work, and kept chatter to a minimum. Like the Z-90's the ski adapts amazingly to conditions and turn shape due to the VibeStop polymer. The biggest difference I found initially is how much lighter the Enduarce feel compared to the Z-90s. It did take a little time to adapt to that lightness, especially in short turn, and the bumps. I initially felt a bit more jarred in the bumps than I did with the Z-90's. Maybe jared is not the right term, but the skis reacted quickly as the shovel is pressured, When driving the skis through the bumps, I could definitely feel how much softer the Endurance skis are then the Z-90s (probably due to the Aspen vs Maple), as I initially felt the bumps were overwhelming the ski. However, I believe this was due to how I approached the bumps, trying to drive them through rather then using a lighter touch. As I adapted to the softer, quicker Endurance 88's I found they were far more playful in the bumps, requiring a lighter touch, and moved a bit quicker when needed then the Z-90's. I believe that is something I can quickly learn to love... and probably one of the big differences between the Z-90 and the Endurance lines. While the Z-90's require a lot of attention, the Endurance 88's allow you to play a bit more!

For as much as I have loved my Z-90's, as they have been my go anywhere, do everything single quiver ski, I believe the new Endurance 88's are their equal in may respects, and maybe a bit more fun across the mountain. I think RENOUN nailed it again, and the Endurance 88's could be an even better all mountain east coast ski then the Z-90s are. Simply stated, after only 1 day on them, I'd say the Z-90's are bit better carving on groomers, but the Endurance seem better everywhere else... I think it is my new one quiver ski. In fact, I doubt I'll taking the Z-90's again... That's how good these are. I'm looking forward to taking them in the trees, as well to Big Sky in a few weeks.

I will follow up as I get more time on these...
One of the things I really like about the Z90s is how they pull into a turn so easily. How do the 88s compare in that respect?

TS
Michael V

Michael V

Getting off the lift
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
One of the things I really like about the Z90s is how they pull into a turn so easily. How do the 88s compare in that respect?
I feel the 88's are similar. they initiate the turn very easily, I'm sure the extra bit of rocker helps with that, but the heft of the Z-90s is missing (Not that it is a bad thing, just a different feel) . However, I hadn't ever thought of the Z-90's as heavy. The 88's just feel different in a light playful way, but are surprisingly damp. The combo of the vibestop, and 2 sheets of metal really work, and the lightness of the Aspen is definitely an interesting feel. I also have them mounted with Look Pivots 15's (all metal) which I was hesitant to go with due to their weight. But I'm glad I did, as I think it adds a solid feel to the whole setup. I don't know if they would have felt different with the lighter binding though, but just my initially feeling.

mikel

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Thanks for the review. Some of the stuff you talk about confirms what Jascha was explaining to me last month. Maple vs Aspen lending the 88 to be slightly lighter and the 90's chamber vs the tip and tail rocker of the 88.

Not sure what length you ski the 90 in but what really had me wondering is why the seemingly really short recommendation for the 88. I'm also about 173 but more pounds than you. I can't imagine skiing the 90 any shorter than the 174 I'm on. If you use the sizing tool for the 88 it recommends a 163. A 170 if I say I'm an aggressive skier. It sounds like you were good with the 88 in a 170? Did it feel short to you?

Eric Edelstein

ExoticSkis
Skier
Industry Insider
Just to wet your whistle..... limited edition special graphic versions of the E88 are now available:

From Renoun on 1/19/2021:

Some photos:

177cm LTD RED

170cm LTD ORANGE

Two sizes available: 170cm (LTD Orange), and 177cm (LTD Red). We only have 10 available in each size so if you're thinking of ordering, its now or never!

ted

Getting off the lift
Skier
Can anyone comment on the flex patter of these? Is it more like a Stockli Stormrider with relatively pliable tips and tails and firmer under foot, or more like a Kendo- firmer tips and tails with a more pliable underfoot section.

TS
Michael V

Michael V

Getting off the lift
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Thanks for the review. Some of the stuff you talk about confirms what Jascha was explaining to me last month. Maple vs Aspen lending the 88 to be slightly lighter and the 90's chamber vs the tip and tail rocker of the 88.

Not sure what length you ski the 90 in but what really had me wondering is why the seemingly really short recommendation for the 88. I'm also about 173 but more pounds than you. I can't imagine skiing the 90 any shorter than the 174 I'm on. If you use the sizing tool for the 88 it recommends a 163. A 170 if I say I'm an aggressive skier. It sounds like you were good with the 88 in a 170? Did it feel short to you?

I'm barley 5'8", and 160 lbs fully dressed, and skiing them at 170cm. The length has be pretty good for 98% of the time, except this last Sunday when laying out some big turns at Stratton on their well groomed Franks Fall Line. GPS says 45+ mph, and I felt I could have used a little more ski... but otherwise for the rest of the day 170 felt pretty good to me..

Update after 3 more days on the Endurance 88's.

First I have to mention that this past weekend in VT was just awesome. Snow conditions were just beautiful. (cold, but ridiculously good snow) I put 3 good days on the 88's and subject them to various terrain. As I mentioned earlier they are light, and it is taking me a little while to get used to them. I had thought the Z-90's were light form what I was coming from, but compared to the Endurance 88's I'd say the Z-90 is heavy. I found 2 distinct things that stood out. 1. They can quickly get ahead of me in the bumps, and accelerate quickly. I have to really stay on top of the, and when I do , wow.. lots of FUN!. 2. These skis will rip high speed big GS turns, and are super smooth... The VibeStop is for real. 3. They love short turns on the edges of the trail. 4. IMHO, hold an edge on hard pack and ice better then the Z-90s.

TS
Michael V

Michael V

Getting off the lift
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
@mikelrv, have you been on the Endurance 98s? Curious to know how similar in feel.
I have not... I too would love to know how they feel.. I'm not a big fan of 98"s for most east coast conditions. But in all honesty have never skies a 98 on the east coast. I might be very surprised..

TS
Michael V

Michael V

Getting off the lift
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Can anyone comment on the flex patter of these? Is it more like a Stöckli Stormrider with relatively pliable tips and tails and firmer under foot, or more like a Kendo- firmer tips and tails with a more pliable underfoot section.
Have never skied those, but the Endurance 88's are pretty soft in the tip. The vibestop hardens them up when needed.

TS
Michael V

Michael V

Getting off the lift
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Update.
Had the Endurance 88's out at Big Sky, Montana for 7 days. I think I finally understand why the Z-90 was retired.

The Endurance 88's do pretty much everything the Z-90s did, and in my opinion are far more versatile. Bumps, steep, powder (5"-10"+), groomers, trees, etc..., I ran these skis through it all, and not once, did I feel they were not the right ski for the job. The vibstop in a lighter ski is amazing. They feel super damp, and light at the same time. These skis love to carve, but will release quick and easy when you want them to. Note: I feel you do need to stay on top of your game as they accelerate quickly out of a turn, and don't reward lazy skiing.

I haven't skied any skis other the my Z-90's for the past 5 years, so I can't really compare the Endurance 88's to anything else. But, honestly they are pretty damn good as an all mtn ski. I don't get to ski the deep stuff, so for me a perfect single quiver ski. (if it were to dump big time, I'd probably rent/demo something wider, until I find $ to own the Citadel :) for those rare deep pow occasions)

BTW, Big Sky is pretty awesome.

Jeronimo

Out on the slopes
Skier
Anyone looked at these side by side with the DPS Wailer 100 RP's? They almost look like an 88 width clone of the Wailers. Similar rocker, similar taper, etc... I haven't skied either but I know the Wailers got a ton love the last couple of years due to their shape. Was curious if anyone thought there was similarities.

TS
Michael V

Michael V

Getting off the lift
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Another Update.
I continue to put these skis through the paces at places like Sugarbush, Killington and Stratton. Bumps, crud, ice, trees, and ripping groomers.. They continue to surprise. Damp, light, quick, and will carve at any speed. Absolutely loving them. If you haven'y tried the Endurance 88's, you probably should add these to your list.

Yousef Master

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
I can't comment on skinnier skies but I demoed the DPS Alchemist Wailer 112 and 106 just before buying a pair of Renoun Citadels. I demoed a number of skis that day and decided that Wailer 106 was my favorite. I had planned to buy them but got snagged on a Renoun advertisement and decided to gamble on the Citadel with money back guarantee. I'm really really happy that I did. The Citadel had a very similar shape and ski style to the A106 (while A112 was very different) but are lighter and more stable. I've wound up using the Citadel in all sorts of conditions and terrain including on east coast even when they really are too fat because I love the mix of stable at fast and flexible when slow. I'm planning on picking up the endurance 88 for next season as an east cost replacement ski hoping that it will be that narrow version of Citadel. Looks very promising but won't be able to comment till next season.

Anyway, if anyone is looking to test whether they might like the Citadel shape and design, try demoing the A106 and you'll have a sense if it's the right kind of ski for you since you can't demo the Citadels. Would love to hear if anyone has any similar reference points for the Endurance 88.

TS
Michael V

Michael V

Getting off the lift
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
March update of the Endurance 88's. These are damn good skis. Does everything I need them to do. At the end of the day all that matters is getting out and having fun. .. and the Endurance 88's have easily lived up to there promise, and have provided some awesome days on the snow. Again, like the RENOUN Z-90's they all an all mountain east coast ski. However, IMHO, better in the bumps then the Z's; They are lighter, quicker, and provide lots of energy, while having a softer feel. They will still rip (50 mph+) high speed turns with amazing precision, while dampening out just about all vibrations (they even fair well out west when the powder is less than knee deep).

I can't really say much more other then if you are looking for an east cost all mountain ski in the 88mm category, I highly suggest you put the RENOUN Endurance 88's on your list. They might just be the ski for you. VibeStop is for real.

Sponsor

Staff online