• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.
TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester

kimberlin

Getting on the lift
Skier
@Andy Mink , Earhart impression: Need to ski on fresh snow or at least something other than grabby warm groomers. Yesterday temps in 40s , gorgeous day to be out, although perhaps not the best day to develop a complete sense of this ski. My initial reaction was, I may have gone too short with this purchase. I based the 149 on my 92 pound body @ 5'2. For an off-piste bias ski , this length would be great for chop and moguls. On the groomers I did notice the rocker creating the sensation of not enough ski when moving on steeper slopes at higher speeds. This is where the 156 would be ideal.

I will say that the Earhart did not chatter, give me sass , or one thought of instability. It is indeed a featherweight ski, but due to the HDT I experienced none of the hypersensations of every bump and divot in similarly light skis for women. Earhart is buttery smooth. It also sailed through the slush. ( Grabby patches of your basic warm snow were not handled well by ski or this skier. Everyone was struggling with that yesterday.)

New snow will be falling this weekend. I am quite tempted to drive up just for a couple of hours to get this ski into conditions it was designed for. After that maybe I will have more enlightening comments.

Cyrus Schenck

Founder of Renoun Skis
Skier
Manufacturer
@Andy Mink ,

I will say that the Earhart did not chatter, give me sass , or one thought of instability. It is indeed a featherweight ski, but due to the HDT I experienced none of the hypersensations of every bump and divot in similarly light skis for women. Earhart is buttery smooth. It also sailed through the slush. ( Grabby patches of your basic warm snow were not handled well by ski or this skier. Everyone was struggling with that yesterday.)

New snow will be falling this weekend. I am quite tempted to drive up just for a couple of hours to get this ski into conditions it was designed for. After that maybe I will have more enlightening comments.
Yeah!!!

kimberlin

Getting on the lift
Skier
New snow was falling this weekend in Flagstaff. I would usually avoid any weekend day to ski, but I had to go up on Sunday to get into all that fresh snow so I could try the Earhart in these more suitable conditions. Earhart was flying IFR as there was almost no visibility. Because I know this mountain so well, I didn't hesitate to release my fear of low viz and just go for it. The skis were superb in the powder and all the chop developing as the day went on. I lapped the least crowded run ( it was a zoo Sunday ) again and again getting more confident and having a blast. These skis are the most responsive I have ever used. Likely due to a rocker profile that comes only to mid face, but I have to admit, the fun factor was there. No jostling, no bucking, nothing the ski would not go though. I had to trust the ski more than myself, since these kinds of conditions are not those which I tend to ski ; but I need the skills to create an equipped toolbox. The Earhart makes this task easier than I could have imagined.

I am currently wrestling with the dilemma regarding length. Yes, the 149 is great, but would the 156 be a more rounded ski for use in all conditions? It sails down the groomers, but should it be longer? I believe most would advise to go longer. My personal jury is in deliberation. DOES THIS SKI MAKE ME LOOK TALL? LOL
IMG_20200223_103102851.jpg

kimberlin

Getting on the lift
Skier
I will also add that the ski really comes up to my eyes when snug against my body without boots and bindings. Still on the short side. My 155 Kicker Filibuster goes to the top of my head with less rocker.

James

Out There
Instructor
New snow was falling this weekend in Flagstaff. I would usually avoid any weekend day to ski, but I had to go up on Sunday to get into all that fresh snow so I could try the Earhart in these more suitable conditions. Earhart was flying IFR as there was almost no visibility. Because I know this mountain so well, I didn't hesitate to release my fear of low viz and just go for it. The skis were superb in the powder and all the chop developing as the day went on. I lapped the least crowded run ( it was a zoo Sunday ) again and again getting more confident and having a blast. These skis are the most responsive I have ever used. Likely due to a rocker profile that comes only to mid face, but I have to admit, the fun factor was there. No jostling, no bucking, nothing the ski would not go though. I had to trust the ski more than myself, since these kinds of conditions are not those which I tend to ski ; but I need the skills to create an equipped toolbox. The Earhart makes this task easier than I could have imagined.

I am currently wrestling with the dilemma regarding length. Yes, the 149 is great, but would the 156 be a more rounded ski for use in all conditions? It sails down the groomers, but should it be longer? I believe most would advise to go longer. My personal jury is in deliberation. DOES THIS SKI MAKE ME LOOK TALL? LOL
View attachment 94731
That’s some deceiving photo. Looks like a snowboard!

David Chaus

Beyond Help
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Sooooo...I bought a pair for my SO, she's 5'8" (weight will not be disclosed upon penalty of death). I know she was never going to demo a bunch of skis so I figure just get the skis and see what happens. They should go nicely with my Z 90's on a chairlift pic.

I did use the size chart suggestions on the Renoun site and got her the 163 as she is not an aggressive skier, and very happy being on intermediate slopes. Her other pair are 7 year old Nordica Nemesis in 169 and she can still use those, but I thought she could benefit from something lighter, narrower, easier turning yet still stable.

Can't report how they ski until winter, Covid permitting. Still looking forward to getting these.

David Chaus

Beyond Help
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
BTW Renoun is doing their own Covid assurance thing. Got an email today:

“In these strange times, Renoun has your back: We offer a Covid-19 Guarantee with every full price ski purchase. Drill it, mount it, and if your resort doesn't open by March 1st 2021, we'll buy them back no questions asked.

Also automatically included is our Moneyback Guarantee which gives you up to 3 days of skiing (if you find some snow) and still allows you to return your skis for a full refund as well. We're here to make getting outside this winter worry-free, no matter what happens.”

DanoT

RVer-Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Sun Peaks B.C. in winter, Victoria B.C. in summer
Clever. They know they won't have to pay much. If our resorts don't open by March 1st 2021, we'll have committed mass seppuku making the buy back moot.
I can't resist a good bargain, so I will be holding off on the seppuku in anticipation of all the bargain priced Estate Sale skis up for offer following the non ski season.

TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Prices go up tomorrow!

Sponsor

Staff online