• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Renoun or DPS

nd_1975

Booting up
Skier
All,

So let me start by saying that I ski almost entirely at Mt. Snow, so the idea of any real powder just doesn't exist. I also have a decent quiver with Dynastar Omniglass FIS SL, Kastle rx12 gs, Fischer Pro man 86ti, Elan Ripstick Black edition (v1) 96 and I have a backland for touring but I don't like it very much.

So with that as background I am looking to solve two problems:

1. I really enjoy skiing groomed runs carving hard and tipping the ski on edge. You can see by the quiver that I am very biased on this direction. But once and a while we have some deeper snow and I do not ski it well. I am looking to find a ski that I can feel comfortable isn't going to be stuck and will turn easier when there is fluffy stuff. Therefore even though I like a tip that pulls you into a turn I am looking for a rockered ski with some float.

2. When I am skiing with my kids I would like something that doesn't need to be going fast to come alive.

So am I crazy in thinking I can get something that solves both of these problems? Currently thinking about DPS Pagoda (or Tour) 100 RP or maybe Renoun Citadel.

Thoughts?

Neal

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I would have suggested either the Renoun Endurance 98 or DPS Pagoda Piste 94 C. Both of which are amazingly fun.

They perform similarly with these few differences.
The DPS is quicker turning, and lively
The Renoun is damper with an incredibly solid feel.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I like and have skied both the Pagoda and Citadel. If you were going to tour, the Citadel all day long, if really like the Ripstick Black, the Citadel is a quieter better version on that ski w/o the Amphibio. The Pagoda is the best constructed DPS I have ever skied, quite, smooth and damp yet still playful. If you want to charge, the Citadel, if you want more playful in the trees, the DPS. The Citadel does pull into the turn a bit better but the DPS is better in cut up with it's extended tip.

TS
N

nd_1975

Booting up
Skier
I like and have skied both the Pagoda and Citadel. If you were going to tour, the Citadel all day long, if really like the Ripstick Black, the Citadel is a quieter better version on that ski w/o the Amphibio. The Pagoda is the best constructed DPS I have ever skied, quite, smooth and damp yet still playful. If you want to charge, the Citadel, if you want more playful in the trees, the DPS. The Citadel does pull into the turn a bit better but the DPS is better in cut up with it's extended tip.
Thanks Phil and Tricia. If I went DPS would you do the normal Pagoda or the Tour construction?

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Thanks Phil and Tricia. If I went DPS would you do the normal Pagoda or the Tour construction?
I really like the Pagoda and for skiing the "packed powder" of the east...better.

Dwight

Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid
Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
On the Renoun, Endurance 98 or 88. The new 98 has a 17M radius in the 177 length. It can react pretty much however you ski. Though if you ski it hard, make sure you take control of it. :)

ELDoane

Gravity Fed, Beer Cooled
Skier
Exiled from VT, trying to ski off the Capitol Dome
I tour on the Wailer 112 RP in and around Mansfield. It's slightly overkill for our snow depth, but not terrible. Personally, I think the shaping of the RP skis, the 15m turn radius and crazy rocker profile makes the Wailers (now Pagoda RP) absolute east coast tree slayers.

If I were building a perfect 50/50 setup for VT, I'd ski a Shift or Duke PT on a Wailer/Pagoda 100 RP. Tour is fine, but I prefer the makeup of the Alchemist or Pagoda build on harder stuff. I would only buy a Tour construction if it were a dedicated backcountry rig.

As a contrast, I also run a Cassiar A87 as my daily driver when it's not snowy (J Skis The Metal when it is) and the C2 shape is a totally different feel. I also had a Cassiar 95 in the Foundation build for a while before unloading it. The C2 shape will certainly feel much more business like, more effective edge and longer turning radius. They'll still certainly feel more engaged than the RP shape. But, the RP shape is damn near telepathic when it comes to rapid turn/slarve/surf/pivot in soft stuff. If you lay it over on edge, it still carves fine, but that's not why you buy it.

Based on what you're asking for (and I hear you on slow skiing with the kids, I have 4 in various stages of ripper-hood) I would say DPS RP might be up your alley. Left field alternative - J Skis Masterblaster. All of the J stuff seems to ski very loose and fun while not being a noodle on the groomers. Keeps you BTV based!

Jeronimo

Out on the slopes
Skier
For what you're talking about doing my man, you should 100% be on the Endurance 88. No question.

TS
N

nd_1975

Booting up
Skier
I tour on the Wailer 112 RP in and around Mansfield. It's slightly overkill for our snow depth, but not terrible. Personally, I think the shaping of the RP skis, the 15m turn radius and crazy rocker profile makes the Wailers (now Pagoda RP) absolute east coast tree slayers.

If I were building a perfect 50/50 setup for VT, I'd ski a Shift or Duke PT on a Wailer/Pagoda 100 RP. Tour is fine, but I prefer the makeup of the Alchemist or Pagoda build on harder stuff. I would only buy a Tour construction if it were a dedicated backcountry rig.

As a contrast, I also run a Cassiar A87 as my daily driver when it's not snowy (J Skis The Metal when it is) and the C2 shape is a totally different feel. I also had a Cassiar 95 in the Foundation build for a while before unloading it. The C2 shape will certainly feel much more business like, more effective edge and longer turning radius. They'll still certainly feel more engaged than the RP shape. But, the RP shape is damn near telepathic when it comes to rapid turn/slarve/surf/pivot in soft stuff. If you lay it over on edge, it still carves fine, but that's not why you buy it.

Based on what you're asking for (and I hear you on slow skiing with the kids, I have 4 in various stages of ripper-hood) I would say DPS RP might be up your alley. Left field alternative - J Skis Masterblaster. All of the J stuff seems to ski very loose and fun while not being a noodle on the groomers. Keeps you BTV based!
Interesting with the J Skis, I have heard good things, how would you say that it skis? More playful?

ELDoane

Gravity Fed, Beer Cooled
Skier
Interesting with the J Skis, I have heard good things, how would you say that it skis? More playful?
Such a loaded word! Playful in the sense that it feels poppy and easy to flex, yes. Tails break free easy enough and it pivots well, I've found. Maybe it's the marketing, but I do find myself jumping off more stuff when I'm on my J's. They changed up the MB this year, I don't have experience on this year's wider version.

But, it's heavy - at least by comparison to the carbon stuff that is most of the rest of my quiver. Now, that's not a bad thing, I like the heft some days and it makes the Metal pretty handy in chopped up stuff. MB is going to be the same. That said, that weight makes them feel less, well, "dance-y" in the soft stuff. The DPS skis in the RP shape seem purpose built to just kind of boogie down the hill, if that's your idea of playful.

In a lot of ways, I like having multiple personalities in my garage. Some days you want to huck yourself off stuff, other days are all about noodling through the trees, and finally there are the days where you just want to pour one out for Austria and send it! I wonder if those Kastle's are still on sale....

chilehed

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
One thing I don't like about my early-model Endurance 98's is how locked in they feel on very hard surfaces. They're great when it's at all soft but on a refrozen groomer they carve one turn radius and that's it, no matter how much I pressure them. I'm looking to replace my old Head Rev85s and am interested in the Endurance 88s, but I think I've heard comments that it's still an issue. Can anyone comment?

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Pagoda Piste 94 C is what I was on. Love it!

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
One thing I don't like about my early-model Endurance 98's is how locked in they feel on very hard surfaces
I'm trying to understand this. Usually you want a locked in feel on hard surfaces. :huh:

Dwight

Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid
Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
This could help some. With the Vibe Stop it maintains its radius the harder you push, but that doesn't mean you can't turn it shaper though.

ELDoane

Gravity Fed, Beer Cooled
Skier

Attachments

• shape112and94.png
    shape112and94.png
    210.6 KB · Views: 67

chilehed

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I'm trying to understand this. Usually you want a locked in feel on hard surfaces. :huh:
My Rev85s are not difficult to shape to a variety of turn radii when carving glare ice. My Endurance 98s not so much, there's one radius they like and that's about it, I pressure the hell out of them and nothing happens.

This could help some. With the Vibe Stop it maintains its radius the harder you push, but that doesn't mean you can't turn it shaper though.

This from the article is exactly what I'm talking about, in the discussion of icy conditions:
"The second thing I notice with Renoun skis when I really try to bend them is that, because they feel stiffer the harder you push them, they feel a bit more limited in terms of turn shapes. The Endurance 88 can make huge turns at lower edge angles or short, skidded ones with a less aggressive stance. But when I’m trying to remember what all my racer friends tell me and I’m truly bending and carving this ski on edge, it feels like it wants to stick to its ~17-meter sidecut radius."​
I live in Michigan. 'nuff said.​

Last edited: