• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Renoun Z90 vs Volkl RTM86?

Lance

Booting up
Skier
A friend of mine is looking for a front side focused all mountain carver. He's leaning toward the RTM86, but he's been eyeing my Z90s as well. I think the price tag might be holding him back on the Renouns. Anybody skied both and could provide a comparison?

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Welll, I have skied both and while I have more time on the Renoun, the current RTM's are some of my favorite Volkls in years. Volkl did a really great job on all of the 3d Ridge skis. The nice thing about the Volkls is that you can also find some NOS product out there which also makes them a very good value. I also like the RTM84 as a viable alternative if you can find a pair. Yes, the Renouns are more...significtly more, but there are few that felt they weren't worth the premium.

TS
Lance

Lance

Booting up
Skier
Thanks, Philpug. If you were comparing them side by side, what would you say the significant differences are in the way they ski?

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Thanks, Philpug. If you were comparing them side by side, what would you say the significant differences are in the way they ski?
The Renoun is more refined and connected to the snow, it has a higher speed limit along with being more confidence inspiring. The Volkl is indeed a darn good ski and is quicker edge to edge and less expensive.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I've gathered enough info for him--now he has to sign up here and be prepared to pay when you all convince him to buy the Renouns!
You can lead a horse to water..while you cannot make him drink...you can make him awful thirsty.

Started at 53

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Because I do lots of research, IF I was gonna buy skis, I would feel comfortable that the Renoun Z series would be money well spent