• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Rental Car Hell, Looking for Alternatives

TheArchitect

Working to improve all the time
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I am looking at driving vs car rentals to attend the Aspen Gathering. If I fly, I figure I'll rent a car for a few days to explore the area and maybe ski one or two other resorts, either before or after the Gathering week. While it cost more to fly into Aspen/Pitkin, it seems to cost less to pick up a rental car there and drop off in Denver than it does to pick up a rental car in Denver and drop it off at Aspen a few days later.

I booked a midsize SUV at DIA for the Gathering via Alamo Insiders. $446 for 7 days with accelerated check-in. I'm eligible for Skip the Counter and I'll do that as well. It would seem that I'm in decent shape for the rental and yet I can't help having this feeling that I need a back up plan.

TheArchitect

Working to improve all the time
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
That helps drive the silliness.

OTOH, our "car guy" says if we want a truck, wait until December 2022 when "we'll be back to damn near giving them away to meet our year-end goals".

Years ago I bought a new car in the last 2 weeks of December and got a really great price. They said the same thing while we were doing the paperwork. End of the month and end of the year are the times to buy.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Just for poops and chuckles, I went back to the parameters I had set for looking for a used Yukon and apples to apples what is currently available is 10-15% more than we paid a month ago..which was 10-15% more than they were the prior month.

snwbrdr

Out on the slopes
Skier
Just travelled to DC with the family and had a horrible experience at Hertz BWI. It took 4 hours to get our car. Thirty minutes from baggage claim to the remote rental center. Three hours on line. (Not a typo). Ten minutes waiting for our car to be ready. Twenty minutes at the exit gate sitting in the car. The 3 year old GMC Acadia with 50k miles cost us about $600 for 3 days. And it made a lot of strange noises, definitely needed a tune-up.

The rental car fiasco took three times longer than our flight and cost twice as much as each plane ticket.

My brother recently had a similar experience in Atlanta. Rental car prices have skyrocketed and lines are endless due to soaring demand and a lack of cars. The agencies sold off their rental fleets and laid off staff during the pandemic. New cars are in short supply. Travel is suddenly booming. From what I have read, this could last years.

I know some of this could have been avoided by joining the Hertz Gold club but in this particular scenario it still would have been at least an hour and I'm not 100% sure they would have had a car ready so fast, even for Gold members. And the price would have been the same.

We have an upcoming two week trip to Denver and SF and I am really hoping to avoid the crazy prices and long waits. Also thinking ahead to my western ski trips.

Has anyone tried Turo? They have nicer cars at much lower rates, and if all goes well there is no waiting around. Turo is basically the Airbnb of car rental and apparently it's booming. I can't find anyone who's ever heard of it much less used it. Maybe someone could share their experience or offer some other hack to make our next trip a little less painful...thanks!
To avoid the lines, typically, the rewards program a rental car company offers can allow you to skip the line.

For Hertz, sign up for their Gold Plus Rewards.

Get more with
Hertz Gold Plus Rewards.
Join for free and enjoy a safer, faster, easier experience. Benefits start from day one.
  • Skip the counter - no waiting, no stopping, no lines.
  • Access exclusive cars.
  • Earn points toward free rental days & upgrades.
  • Add an Additional Driver(spouse/domestic partner) for free.
the first time I went to LAX airport I waited forever in line at Budget. THe next trip I signed up for their Fastbreak program and bypassed the line and went straight to a rental car.

John Webb

mdskier
Skier
The local Ford lot looks like they are renting out every vehicle they can.

Yup. And that's why I've occasionally been stuck with a subcompact when I've reserved something much larger (or vice versa).
Pre-Covid I had 5 business trips to Seattle. I'd rent various size cars, full,mid or compact depending on need. Didn't make any difference
as I was always given a Lincoln Town car. The last trip when I really wanted a compact I had great fun changing a flat tire in the rain at 2am.
Wheel must have weighed 100lbs ! I think the have to give you any car available -preferably larger.

In SLC once I had to extend a ski trip due to all east coast airports being snowed in (30 inches snow at home in MD) So I rented a subcompact.
They give me a small 4x4 which I drove to Snowbasin to find the ski area closed due to lack of snow, crazy. Luckly nearby Powder Mt was open.

TS
Pdub

Pdub

best day ever
Skier
Update: the Turo car rental was great, totally painless. The car was in economy parking at DIA, a 5 minute shuttle from baggage claim. Punched in the code on the door, took some pics of the car, and checked-in with the phone app. 40 minutes from baggage claim to driving away. Should be quicker next time, having learned the ropes.

The car was exactly as advertised, no surprises. Total was $695 for 6 days in a 2017 Ford Edge. Avis would have been $1200 for a "Ford Escape or similar." Smaller and not guaranteed. Not to mention potential holdups at the rental car center.

So we were happy with Turo. Will use it again.

Wilhelmson

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Turo helped us out but it wasn't cheap. My wife dinged up her exhaust while at the beach with her extended family (I was working so needed my vehicle). We found a big Jeep truck which is an ideal beach vehicle. It was more of a splurge but still cost close to $400 for 2 days after fees, extra insurance, and a questionable cleaning fee.. Maybe rentals are more expensive these days

Jwrags

Aka pwdrhnd
Skier
Rentals are outrageously priced right now. Plus, be careful to arrive when you said you will be there or they will give away your car. I had that happen last Thursday with Enterprise. They are now calling those pick up times "appointments". They made 0 effort to try and help me get another car.

Sponsor

Staff online