• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Jerez

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
In the spirit of remembering this is asking forum....
In prepping my DHs skis for summer storage, I see that the edges are getting awfully thin. Figure he will need replacements for these much beloved skis by the end of next season. If we have one.

He is, ahem, older. Good skier. 172 lbs. We ski rocky mountains mostly. Lots of trees. He has hard snow skis so interested in ease of useq nimble in tight spaces forgiving in bumps, helpful in powder.

Suggestions for demo?

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Lots of choices. Fischer 102, Dynastar M-Free 108, Renoun Citadel 106, Elan Ripstick 106 to name a few.

Jack Lake

Putting on skis
Skier
I second the 102 fr. Love mine. I'm 5'8" 180 and find the 177 perfect. Lighter swingweight than you might think and ample float for a 102.

Tom Co.

life's new window
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Liberty Origin 106. I did a demo day in early March and tried several 100-108 skis. The Origin would be a great ski for trees, tight spaces, bumps and powder. A really fun ski.

TS
Jerez

Jerez

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Liberty Origin 106. I did a demo day in early March and tried several 100-108 skis. The Origin would be a great ski for trees, tight spaces, bumps and powder. A really fun ski.

I have an old women's version of the Liberty Origins (see avatar) and absolutely love them. They are indeed a great tree ski.

But my DH and I are very different skiers. For example, I have never skied a K2 ski I liked. Go figure. Hence my request for ideas. I'll definitely try to convince him to try them though!

Ripstick sounds like one to try. @Jimski tried them in JH and liked them a lot if I recall correctly.

Help in very deep or gloppy snow would be nice for him. He has no trouble maneuvering the wider skis on hard-pack so the pinnacles have functioned as all mountain. But, he does have K2 Ikonics which he also likes a lot for hard snow or groomer days.

ski otter 2

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I'd suggest getting another pair of Pinnacle 105s, while he still can; or even get a pair of used demo versions. I like the new k2 Mindbender 108s even better, but they are not as straight forward a ski, not as simple and easy all around, unless really tuned well. And still the Pinnacles stand out in ease of use in most all soft snow conditions. A dream ski: damp, versatile, fast or slow, great at crud, great at powder, great in any soft snow, really. And while they last, cheaper.

Jimski

Getting on the lift
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Ripstick sounds like one to try. @Jimski tried them in JH and liked them a lot if I recall correctly.

Your recollection is correct: the Ripstick is a fun, reassuring ski in mixed snow and bumps -- one of my favorite skis demo'ed this season. On steep, groomed-but-scraped-off slopes, they had a bit of chatter (for me), but not enough to be a deal-breaker. Some of that may be due to my own skiing technique (or lack thereof). In any case, it appears that Elan has tried to address this issue with the 2021 model: https://www.skiessentials.com/Chairlift-Chat/2021-elan-ripstick-96-ski-review/

peterm

Getting off the lift
Skier
I had a couple of days on the Pinnacle 105s a few seasons back. Fun ski on a powder day for sure. Of the skis mentioned so far I can comment on a couple.
Ripstick 106 felt a bit lighter and less substantial. The Ripstick was more responsive and snappy carving groomers but wasn't quite as much fun in powder.
Fischer 102 Fr felt a little more demanding. Definitely a very capable ski but maybe not quite the same ease of use as the Pinnacles.
I suggest he give something from DPS a try. I have the Alchemist Wailer 112 and it's stupid easy and fun in deep powder, particularly trees and tight spots. Maybe try the 100 or 106 for something a little more versatile. I haven't skied those yet but I see @Tim Hodgson likes his 100s.

NESkiBum

Booting up
Skier
In the spirit of remembering this is asking forum....
In prepping my DHs skis for summer storage, I see that the edges are getting awfully thin. Figure he will need replacements for these much beloved skis by the end of next season. If we have one.

He is, ahem, older. Good skier. 172 lbs. We ski rocky mountains mostly. Lots of trees. He has hard snow skis so interested in ease of useq nimble in tight spaces forgiving in bumps, helpful in powder.

Suggestions for demo?
Jerez,
If you are interested in another pair of Pinnacle 105's I do have a pair of 185 with only a couple of days on them. PM me if interested.

Sponsor

Staff online