• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier
The fit pads in my $200(!!) hockey helmet were falling out and the chat was don't glue them back you'll destroy the helmet's effectiveness. Well it's 3 years old and rather than $200 for a new one, a little 3M Trim Adhesive worked just fine. I'll test it by running into the crossbar this weekend..

James

Out There
Instructor
The fit pads in my $200(!!) hockey helmet were falling out and the chat was don't glue them back you'll destroy the helmet's effectiveness. Well it's 3 years old and rather than $200 for a new one, a little 3M Trim Adhesive worked just fine. I'll test it by running into the crossbar this weekend..
Yeah that's just a cya crap from tha manufacturer. Like don't paint them. The pads were glued in originally. Meanwhile, lots of helmets are painted at the factory too.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
Came here to post weatherstripping+shoe goo. I see my work is done..

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
You don't need a big sheet of EVA foam; thin 8.5x11" sheets are available at any Michaels/Pearl craft store BUT the other thing craft stores have is PET fleece sheets for comfort and venting.

jayf

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
I have a pair of 'older' goggles, which are in otherwise great shape, but the perimeter 'foam' has disintegrated. (have done site search on topic, nothing found...) They have been a great FAV of mine for decades (multiple interations/backups...). These happen to be yellow lens versions - which I cherish greatly for their visibility and fit (having small, narrow face for which kids/womens goggles seem to fit). And work great in poor light visibility conditions.
I'd like to put some new foam around the face contact perimeter and under the upper venting.
Has anyone attempted this ? successfully? suggestions?
The foam is more than 'comfort'. It adds just enough separation to keep fogging at a minimum. I have other yellow lens goggles, but none offer the clear/overall/peripheral vision of these.
any recommendations, comments?
Thanks a bunch!
Repairing the goggles was actually fairly easy after I determined what to use and stopped running around to Michael's craft store and Joanne's Fabric store and Home Depot etc. looking for foam that wouldn't work. Settled on the foam used between the sashes in a double-hung window for a window AC unit. Photo of most of the materials attached here.

First, clean up the remaining dry foam with a knife or small screwdriver and then clean the perimeter further with a Q-tip and the Goof Off liquid.

Then I used some tracing paper to outline the area that needed new foam. And then cut a piece of copy paper in the same shape as the tracing paper to have something more firm to use.

Then, using a NEW blade in a craft/hobby pen knife, I cut 2 pieces of 1/8" thick strip of foam off the AC foam strip. Then I took the piece of paper in the shape of the foam needed and held it firmly and cut around it to the shape needed.

Then I used a small finishing nail to apply Shoegoo around the perimeter of the area where the foam would be placed.

Then, place the foam strip onto the Shoegoo (with the side that was cut facing to the inside of the goggles.) That will leave the outside of the foam nice and even versus the inside that would be impossible to cut perfectly. Let it dry and your good to go......thanks......j
goggles.jpg

TS
moreoutdoorYuri

moreoutdoorYuri

Getting on the lift
Skier
Central Coast, Ca. - Mammoth main squeeze! LOL!
Thanks all, I guess I have to look closer at all the foam options at stores in my area...
I still have the goggles, so still a project...
We have no longer have any fabric stores in our area, just a Michaels and some hardware - HomeDepot, Miner's Hardware, and ACE store...
The project has escaped my attention, now that winter is back, I need to move it to the front of the line... LOL!
BTW: Came back from 3 days at Mammoth a week ago... awesome! Excellent Cornice and drop into Dave's, kept me happy for most of that time... LOL!
Daves-Climax-221214-72dpi.jpg

The winter spirit is a life long infection.
Yuri

Sponsor

Staff online