• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

moreoutdoorYuri

Getting on the lift
Skier
Central Coast, Ca. - Mammoth main squeeze! LOL!
I have a pair of 'older' goggles, which are in otherwise great shape, but the perimeter 'foam' has disintegrated. (have done site search on topic, nothing found...) They have been a great FAV of mine for decades (multiple interations/backups...). These happen to be yellow lens versions - which I cherish greatly for their visibility and fit (having small, narrow face for which kids/womens goggles seem to fit). And work great in poor light visibility conditions.
I'd like to put some new foam around the face contact perimeter and under the upper venting.
Has anyone attempted this ? successfully? suggestions?
The foam is more than 'comfort'. It adds just enough separation to keep fogging at a minimum. I have other yellow lens goggles, but none offer the clear/overall/peripheral vision of these.
any recommendations, comments?
Thanks a bunch!

TS
moreoutdoorYuri

moreoutdoorYuri

Getting on the lift
Skier
Last edited:

Chef23

Getting on the lift
Skier
I have tried to do something similar before but didn't have success. I had a hard time finding a pair of goggles to replace the old ones I loved.

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
You may have a better shot at finding the proverbial rainbow horned green polka dot unicorn than OEM type preshaped duo density replacement foam for 20/30 year old goggles.

TS
moreoutdoorYuri

moreoutdoorYuri

Getting on the lift
Skier
LOL! yeah, no expectations of finding actual die cut foam replacement. But if someone was successful in doing a DIY, I thought I'd ask the Q...
The first iteration of this goggle style was plain frame rubber against face - having foam on later versions became a luxury... LOL!
I luv doin DIY on stuff which isn't mission critical - if I come up with something... I'll post.
Otherwise, this continues as an opportunity for others, who have had some version of success, to offer their process...

...I grow attached to old stuff, bikes, skis, hockey sticks & skates, fishun rods & reels... down jackets... backpacks.... the list is almost endless
LOL! no fool like an Olde Foole
been thinkin why I do that... My conclusion is that, photos aside, I have a fairly vivid memory of daze go by... and seeing/using/coming across my old stuff immediately brings up the memory and feeling, as if it just happened. I've done a few crazy things, most of which is only documented in my head... a good longterm memory is a terrible affliction...
Like the time Rick Howell and I were arrested in front of the White House back in the 70's because he recognized another DH'er protesting in front of the WH, and we became possible terrorists - Long Story - all the while road-tripping Ski-Rep style along the Mid-Atlantic...
(Rocket, you out there ???)
... now, where did I put my keys ???

James

Out There
Instructor
Like the time Rick Howell and I were arrested in front of the White House back in the 70's because he recognized another DH'er protesting in front of the WH, and we became possible terrorists - Long Story - all the while road-tripping Ski-Rep style along the Mid-Atlantic...
Rick Howell the binding guy, inventor of the knee binding?

I'm looking for the foam that keep snow out. I'm thinking it's 30-40 pores per inch density. That's what I just learned searching. Is it polyether ir polyester though?

http://www.newenglandfoam.com/filter.html

TS
moreoutdoorYuri

moreoutdoorYuri

Getting on the lift
Skier
yes, that Rick Howell
I know the knee binding is the source of much discourse - I can assure you that Rick has and continues to engineer that concept (possibly, the strongest move forward in the binding biz since step-ins) as close to perfection as modern science and materials allow.
He's more than skiing and ski bindings (see link below). He also developed the 1ST releasable bicycle step-in pedal system (iterations of which I'm still riding on some of my machina, today...).
And started the modernization/evolution trend of snowshoes (For Tubbs, as a starter) which is so completely dominant in that activity, today.
Here is an interesting read, and more than just skiing:
https://howell-ski-bindings.myshopify.com/pages/about-us
Having worked with Rick for quite some time, in the early years, he has earned my great respect for both his science and knowledge as well as his tenacity in applying both.
Also a fun guy and a great human - at least as far as one can throw an engineer... LOL!

...foam...
great URL!, they do seem to have it all! I'm sure a visit and a tour would be a fun thing!
the 3,000 mi gap proves to be a hindrance...
I'll have to do the caveman thing and grok something around here... LOL!
I'm sure whatever I come up with won;t stand the 'Howell' test, but should be good for a real laugh!
... will update...

BTW: I have my order in for the Howell 880 pro binding...

Last edited:

John Webb

mdskier
Skier
Found goggle foam online at a ski tool site 15 years ago. (not Reliable Racing but similar)
Sadly, I never found it again -but tried !

Rod9301

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Go to wish, there are Chinese goggles for $25 or so, excellent quality, they look just like poc goggles, probably made in the same factory.

neonorchid

Making fresh tracks
Skier
yes, that Rick Howell
-
BTW: I have my order in for the Howell 880 pro binding...
Off topic but interesting footnote -

AN** Howell SkiBindings is against (a) ski waist widths greater than 100mm D (b) all 'pin-binding's' (except Trab TR2)due to their association with a new type of skiing-injury: severe, high-energy tibia-plateau and tibial-tuberosity fractures. Both new types of skiing injuries are the fastest-growing categories of injuries in skiing — matching the growth of fat-skis and pin-bindings. The high-energy nature of the new types of skiing fractures involve multiple-fragments, difficult surgical reconstruction, and 10 to 15-months of aggressive rehabilitation. Fat skis on firm snow are a serious problem for the sustainability of our beautiful sport. References: (1) Dominik Heim, MD; SITEMSH-Japan, 2016. (2) Zorko; Nemec; Matjacic; Olensek; Alpine Skiing Simulations Prove Ski Waist-Width Influences Knee Joint Kinematics; ISSS-Innsbruck, Austria, 2017. (3) Stenroos; Pakarinen; Jalkanen; Mälkiä; Handolin; Tibial Fractures in Alpine Skiing and Snowboarding in Finland: A Retrospective Study on Fracture Types and Injury Mechanisms in 363 patients; Scand J Surg Off Organ Finn Surg Soc Scand Surg Soc., Sept 2015, doi:10.1177/1457496915607410. (4) Improved Short Term Outcomes in Tibial Plateau Fractures of Snow Sports Injuries Treated with Immediate Open Reduction Internal Fixation; Janes, MD; Leonard, MSPH; Phillips, PA-C; Salottolo, MPH; Abbott, MD, Bar-Or, MD; ISSS-Innsbruck, Austria, 2017.

vatlark

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
The "Replace Ski Goggle Foam" instructions on wikihow give you everything you need.

Looks like the instructions aren't live yet. just wait a few days.

graham418

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Go to Home Depot and get some of the thinner weatherstripping foam. I have done that before

TS
moreoutdoorYuri

moreoutdoorYuri

Getting on the lift
Skier
Off topic but interesting footnote -

AN** Howell SkiBindings is against (a) ski waist widths greater than 100mm D (b) all 'pin-binding's' (except Trab TR2)due to their association with a new type of skiing-injury: severe, high-energy tibia-plateau and tibial-tuberosity fractures. Both new types of skiing injuries are the fastest-growing categories of injuries in skiing — matching the growth of fat-skis and pin-bindings. The high-energy nature of the new types of skiing fractures involve multiple-fragments, difficult surgical reconstruction, and 10 to 15-months of aggressive rehabilitation. Fat skis on firm snow are a serious problem for the sustainability of our beautiful sport. References: (1) Dominik Heim, MD; SITEMSH-Japan, 2016. (2) Zorko; Nemec; Matjacic; Olensek; Alpine Skiing Simulations Prove Ski Waist-Width Influences Knee Joint Kinematics; ISSS-Innsbruck, Austria, 2017. (3) Stenroos; Pakarinen; Jalkanen; Mälkiä; Handolin; Tibial Fractures in Alpine Skiing and Snowboarding in Finland: A Retrospective Study on Fracture Types and Injury Mechanisms in 363 patients; Scand J Surg Off Organ Finn Surg Soc Scand Surg Soc., Sept 2015, doi:10.1177/1457496915607410. (4) Improved Short Term Outcomes in Tibial Plateau Fractures of Snow Sports Injuries Treated with Immediate Open Reduction Internal Fixation; Janes, MD; Leonard, MSPH; Phillips, PA-C; Salottolo, MPH; Abbott, MD, Bar-Or, MD; ISSS-Innsbruck, Austria, 2017.
Thanks for this! I'll definitely look up those refs and do some reading...
j

TS
moreoutdoorYuri

moreoutdoorYuri

Getting on the lift
Skier
I tried doing just that for a very old clear lense Carrera goggle I like to use in the woodshop, the weatherstripping didn't stick very well, came off in use.
yeah, also found the adhesive on the weatherstrip stuff won't hold on the googles. need something much more tenacious.
gonna query some of the specialty sites for foam to see if they might suggest something...
as aside - winter has come to the sierras! Mammoth now has 6 ft at the summit and almost 4 ft at main lodge, and it keeps coming... Just when the fear of a drought winter was startin to set in... cured! LOL!

Joby Graham

Getting off the lift
Skier
yeah, also found the adhesive on the weatherstrip stuff won't hold on the googles. need something much more tenacious.
gonna query some of the specialty sites for foam to see if they might suggest something...
as aside - winter has come to the sierras! Mammoth now has 6 ft at the summit and almost 4 ft at main lodge, and it keeps coming... Just when the fear of a drought winter was startin to set in... cured! LOL!
Try FlexSeal glue. I used it to glue some very, very porous foam to a strip of rubber. It adhered quickly and has held up well in the elements. It will probably work better on foam without the pre-applied adhesive.

Sponsor

Staff online