• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Report from the floor at 2023 Outdoor Retailer

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
OR is not the show it used to be. When it used to take 3 full days of divide and conquer to see the whole show, we were now done in 6 hours. No hardgoods manufacturers and just a few softgood brands were there. Most of the show now of overlanding, which is not a main focus on SkiTalk even though we have a few van campers here but mosly shoe companies, bags and some smaller brands being there for the first time trying to get their brands out.

Gabel's ePole that tracks stride, coordination and balance to make you not only ski better but is being used in hiking and other sports.
IMG_0883.jpeg
IMG_0879.jpeg

DB's Backcountry Vest
IMG_0876.jpeg
IMG_0875.jpeg

Jack Wolfskin will be looking to make a push here in the US for the coming season. They did show us a very good proprietary technology for waterproofing seams on jackets that reduces the seam seals by about 20 yards of material
IMG_0874.jpeg
IMG_0873.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_0866.jpeg
    IMG_0866.jpeg
    261.8 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_0869.jpeg
    IMG_0869.jpeg
    261.9 KB · Views: 23
Last edited by a moderator:

AltaSkier

I stick uphill ice...
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
The Jack Wolfskin stuff is interesting, but I feel like I would be buying a ski jacket made by a beef jerky company...

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
The Jack Wolfskin stuff is interesting, but I feel like I would be buying a ski jacket made by a beef jerky company...
Look at the bright side, if you get in an avalanche, dogs will be able to find you.

Follow me for more positive spins. :)

fatbob

Not responding
Skier
Is Jack Wolfskin not already an existing brand in the US? Huge in Germany though looks like having been traded around private equity it is now owned by Callaway Golf.

This is a fascinating snippet from their wiki

In November 2009, Jack Wolfskin threatened the Dutch company Bearwear, a clothing supplier to the gay bear scene, with legal action causing it to suspend its European web shop and generating ill-feelings to Wolfskin with its customers

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
Is Jack Wolfskin not already an existing brand in the US?

Existing yes. Tiny market presence, less than Vaude frex, in the camping market, also yes.

This is a fascinating snippet from their wiki

That was right around when US YouTubers first started shopping for clickbait outrage - and obviously latched onto the story - but then US viewers were like 'Who gives a'?

In2h2o

Out on the slopes
Skier
Jack Wolfskin launched in the US basically same time as Covid. I have a nice pair of soft shell touring pants that are great for xc and spring bc. A lot more size options in some items -- ie long and short for pants - at least when I was shopping ....

Who makes the underwear in the photo @Tricia

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
Jack Wolfskin launched in the US basically same time as Covid. I have a nice pair of soft shell touring pants that are great for xc and spring bc. A lot more size options in some items -- ie long and short for pants - at least when I was shopping ....

We still don't have much of their clothing this side, but the backpacks have been here for like more than a decade.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester

Paradis Sport.
Its a new company. The premis is that most women's underwear are not condusive to outdoor activity.
I got a sample pair from them and wore them all day at the show. I actually forgot I had underwear on.

fatbob

Not responding
Skier
Paradis Sport.
Its a new company. The premis is that most women's underwear are not condusive to outdoor activity.
I got a sample pair from them and wore them all day at the show. I actually forgot I had underwear on.

James

Out There
Instructor
Looks like a mechanically improved Avalung. Given they went obsolete because of airbags don't know
I think the big resistance was the mouthpiece. Everytime you ski in a danger zone it had to be in or it’s useless. That’s a high bar.
Now I suppose the prob is pulling the wrong handle instead of the airbag, or access under a coat.

COloradoYS

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
I think the big resistance was the mouthpiece. Everytime you ski in a danger zone it had to be in or it’s useless. That’s a high bar.
Now I suppose the prob is pulling the wrong handle instead of the airbag, or access under a coat.
Yea exactly - they've effectively taken the mouthpiece out of the equation which is a huge win in my eyes.

I saw this vest at OR myself - their handle is pretty similar to Alpride's, and they've made it so that they can take in a second activation wire and deploy two systems at once.

The vest is a full-on riding vest (similar to BCA, Dakine or Arva) so it is something that you'd wear on top of your outerwear, not under it, and definitely not with an extra pack on top.

Wendy

Resurrecting the Oxford comma
Admin
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter

I have a nice Jack Wolfskin puffy. It's not a performance jacket, but rather a casual wear-around-town jacket. It's well made and I love it.

Sponsor