• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Report from the Snow: 2021 Waterville Valley Demo

James

Out There
Instructor
CD843858-2ED4-4042-8AA5-FFD0FD348F8E.jpeg

I don’t get why everyone is gaga over these. To me it looks like the Oslo airport, all grey in a grey land. Pretty boring. But, still better than the snakes and barbed wire graphics of 10yrs ago.

Tony Storaro

Glorified Tobogganer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I don’t get why everyone is gaga over these.

Scratches will be much less visible on the raw metal topsheet compared to the painted tails of the current SRs and these will retain their look longer.

I guess...

Brad J

Out on the slopes
Skier
I for one would not care if they were all white, grey or whatever as long as they still skied like a Stockli. Graphics are only to catch your eye in the store or on line . Not once has graphics contributed anything to my skiing enjoyment

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I was told that the SR88 has a slight change on construction. @LindseyB please confirm.

LindseyB

Stöckli
Industry Insider
Manufacturer
I was told that the SR88 has a slight change on construction. @LindseyB please confirm.

Mathieu added what he calls Freeride Tip Technology. He didn't really explain much about it other than to say it is a bit lighter and a bit less chatter. Other than that the ski is identical in build.

Cantankerous

Putting on skis
Skier
Mathieu added what he calls Freeride Tip Technology. He didn't really explain much about is other than to say it is a bit lighter and a bit less chatter. Other than that the ski is identical in build.

R u seriously telling me this is one season product cycle--that stinks!

I bought the 2020/2021 version of the 88 and quite frankly I cant believe they're changing it 1 season. When you buy a premium priced product, like Stockli, you expect the pinnacle of both craftsmanship and build and forethoguht. The improvements to the tip sound ideal--and I can see how it will help improve the ski's performance. There's a reason someone shells out premium $'s for a product; because they want the pinnacle of technology and performance--and they'll pay for it. Turning a premium priced product out-dated in one season--sucks. Mathieu--should have thought of this earlier. I feel cheated.

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester

I bought the 2020/2021 version of the 88 and quite frankly I cant believe they're changing it 1 season. When you buy a premium priced product, like Stöckli, you expect the pinnacle of both craftsmanship and build and forethoguht. The improvements to the tip sound ideal--and I can see how it will help improve the ski's performance. There's a reason someone shells out premium $'s for a product; because they want the pinnacle of technology and performance--and they'll pay for it. Turning a premium priced product out-dated in one season--sucks. Mathieu--should have thought of this earlier. I feel cheated.
This is where I will stand up (a bit) for Stockli. This is not the first time they did a one year construction, a few years back the tried a bamboo core with the 88 and it went over like a fart in church. How it made it to production is subject for another talk show but I digress. Liberty just did something similar with the skis with VMT in the constructions, 76/82/92 all had two VMT sheets the first year, the second year they went to three. The same with the Evolv 90/100 two then three.

Cantankerous

Putting on skis
Skier
For any one reading my previous post--it may help to know the Stockli 88 had a new shape and dimensions in 2020/2021 season..that may have been an important point--so this was a one season product-cycle. I understand that change this may represent a refinement rather than a new version--but again my point is that at the premium price points--refinements should come in one season.

Since Phil is a car guy--I will say that for the most part, i find, that when luxury manufacturers especially like BMW and Mercedes introduce new cars--it takes some time to get used to--my theory is that they're anticipating design trends--not reacting.

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier
Since Phil is a car guy--I will say that for the most part, i find, that when luxury manufacturers especially like BMW and Mercedes introduce new cars--it takes some time to get used to--my theory is that they're anticipating design trends--not reacting.
I dunno...MB hung onto the 15,000 button design philosophy for years after other manufacturers realized most drivers don't know the difference between P and N and need big, simple ergonomics....

Cantankerous

Putting on skis
Skier
Phil--I thought you were in favor of multi-year product cycles--there's a reason that someone forks out the extra dollars for a premium ski..because they want the phycological knowledge they're getting the pinnacle of performance--I think the larger point is that its wrong to have what amounts to one year product cycles for a premium priced ski--even if the improvement are relatively minor.

Any way--what the hell--I'll buy a Bode's ski next year! Here's the good news--its snowing in Park City! Sadly--I can't be out there today--but this is just what we needed! It's all good. Thank you for letting me vent about bullshit--when the world is so challenged...it helps!

DanoT

RVer-Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Sun Peaks B.C. in winter, Victoria B.C. in summer
There are some things that are worse than changing a ski to fine tune it. I'm talking about taking a very good and popular ski and changing it just to stimulate sales that might have started to lag and it gets real bad if the new version isn't as good as the old.

I have been known to buy a second pair of skis that I really like before the first pair wears out and while it is still being manufactured without changes.

Jersey Skier

aka RatherPlayThanWork or Gary
Skier

I bought the 2020/2021 version of the 88 and quite frankly I cant believe they're changing it 1 season. When you buy a premium priced product, like Stöckli, you expect the pinnacle of both craftsmanship and build and forethoguht. The improvements to the tip sound ideal--and I can see how it will help improve the ski's performance. There's a reason someone shells out premium $'s for a product; because they want the pinnacle of technology and performance--and they'll pay for it. Turning a premium priced product out-dated in one season--sucks. Mathieu--should have thought of this earlier. I feel cheated.

This is great for shoppers like myself always looking for last years latest and greatest at a bargain. Those that need the latest will always dump the old model cheap. Hell, I'm still on the blue and yellow AX78's that I bought here for 50% of new and barely used.

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Phil--I thought you were in favor of multi-year product cycles--there's a reason that someone forks out the extra dollars for a premium ski..because they want the phycological knowledge they're getting the pinnacle of performance--I think the larger point is that its wrong to have what amounts to one year product cycles for a premium priced ski--even if the improvement are relatively minor.

Any way--what the hell--I'll buy a Bode's ski next year! Here's the good news--its snowing in Park City! Sadly--I can't be out there today--but this is just what we needed! It's all good. Thank you for letting me vent about bullshit--when the world is so challenged...it helps!
I am totally in favor of multi year cycles. But if something isn't working and it needs improvement, do it.

François Pugh

Skiing the powder
Skier
Great White North (Eastern side currently)

Before you get too upset, consider this. When I hear Free Ride tip technology, I think more ready to smear and pivot and less eager to start cutting a groove. If that's not your goal for these skis you might be better off with the unchanged version.
BTW, I still haven't gotten a chance to try my new "free ride" type skis for their first run. Nor my new warm boots. Damn you Mr. Ford!

GregK

Skiing the powder
Skier
@Philpug If they have the 185cm Dynastar MFree 99 there, I’d love to see the specs-dimensions esp turning radius. Thanks!!!
(Hear they are doing 171cm, 179cm and 185cm versions)

Reactions: Ron
TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
@Philpug If they have the 185cm Dynastar MFree 99 there, I’d love to see the specs-dimensions esp turning radius. Thanks!!!
(Hear they are doing 171cm, 179cm and 185cm versions)
I didn't get on it there. I planned on getting on it back here in Tahoe with our local rep. Much of what the focus was to get on product that was either brand new, eastern biased and not completely available to me here.

Sponsor

Staff online