• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Report from the Snow: 2021 Waterville Valley Demo

GregK

Skiing the powder
Skier
I didn't get on it there. I planned on getting on it back here in Tahoe with our local rep. Much of what the focus was to get on product that was either brand new, eastern biased and not completely available to me here.

I’m more interested in just confirming the turn radius of the 185cm version was in the 20m range I’m guessing/hoping for. Pretty good idea what it will ski like and happy to see a 185cm length available!

LindseyB

Stöckli
Industry Insider
Manufacturer
R u seriously telling me this is one season product cycle--that stinks!

I bought the 2020/2021 version of the 88 and quite frankly I cant believe they're changing it 1 season. When you buy a premium priced product, like Stöckli, you expect the pinnacle of both craftsmanship and build and forethoguht. The improvements to the tip sound ideal--and I can see how it will help improve the ski's performance. There's a reason someone shells out premium $'s for a product; because they want the pinnacle of technology and performance--and they'll pay for it. Turning a premium priced product out-dated in one season--sucks. Mathieu--should have thought of this earlier. I feel cheated.

The main reason is to create a uniform cycle and story with the 95 and 102. The three will now be updated every 2 years as a group, opposite of the Nela update.

The choice was either run both the 102 and 95 for one year, or run the 88 for one year with a goal to get them in sync for a consistent story and update cycle.

The reason the tip was ever so slightly modified was for the sake of using a uniform tip throughout the SR series.

If/when Stockli does a 1 year cycle from now on, it is to bring the fleet into more of a consistent story and update cycle for the future.

(You could also see it the other way around, not very many people have the 21 SR88 and it was limited in it's production.)

Bobalooski

Getting off the lift
Inactive
The main reason is to create a uniform cycle and story with the 95 and 102. The three will now be updated every 2 years as a group, opposite of the Nela update.

The choice was either run both the 102 and 95 for one year, or run the 88 for one year with a goal to get them in sync for a consistent story and update cycle.

The reason the tip was ever so slightly modified was for the sake of using a uniform tip throughout the SR series.

If/when Stöckli does a 1 year cycle from now on, it is to bring the fleet into more of a consistent story and update cycle for the future.

(You could also see it the other way around, not very many people have the 21 SR88 and it was limited in it's production.)
Makes sense. Do you know the sizes for the new SR102?

LindseyB

Stöckli
Industry Insider
Manufacturer
And let's not forget..there is a dollar motive for changing things up constantly...

Not offended, but want to make it very clear that Stockli doesn't consider this as a deciding factor.

Stockli would definitely not fall into this category. Stockli is the last of all brands to debut next year's product to the dealers. The only reason Brent was at this demo with next year's skis is because it may end up being the only industry demo this year.

Our launch isn't until Monday. Stockli has been very consistent in not prematurely releasing and that's one of the reasons we are respected by the dealers.

If Stockli was about the quick buck, it wouldn't consistently be telling a major online retailer "Sorry, we can't." when they ask to sell Stockli. I routinely tell several ski shops that we can't partner with them because of our limited distribution strategy. Our goal is to build the brand with our retail partners. We don't sell direct in North America, because we want to support ski shops who are the lifeblood of service in the industry.

Stockli's strategy is slow and patient, while letting the product speak for itself. That's one of the reasons why you don't see huge marketing campaigns and skis thrown at anyone that has a ski job for dirt cheap or free like so many brands.

I turned down a 160 pair ski order from a retailer two years ago, simply to protect our current dealer down the street.

While some brands are already selling '22 product, we haven't even introduced our line to our retailers. You guys are seeing these skis on this thread before they do on Monday.

I could go on for days about how Stockli isn't a "sell-out" brand, but this should be enough for now.

Last edited:

Erik Timmerman

So much better than a pro
Instructor
@Philpug If they have the 185cm Dynastar MFree 99 there, I’d love to see the specs-dimensions esp turning radius. Thanks!!!
(Hear they are doing 171cm, 179cm and 185cm versions)

i wanted to get on that ski, but the rep lives in town, so I figure it won't be hard to try a pair and report on them.

LindseyB

Stöckli
Industry Insider
Manufacturer
Makes sense. Do you know the sizes for the new SR102?

SR88 stays the same size run. 166,175,184.

It was mentioned some brands switch up graphics or the ski if it underperforms. This definitely wasn't the case with the 21 SR88 as it has been our #1 sell through ski this year. It was frustrating having so many buyers dial back orders last April only to have them reorder all our extra stock to make up for it in the fall. It turned out that because the covid orders were dialed back, that we didn't have nearly enough built and on hand for the high demand. We were out of Stock in the 175 in November and we were lucky enough to get a few more from Switzerland, they sold out quickly as well.

While on paper it may look blah, the in-person optics of the ski is beautiful, especially in sunlight. That's why the 102 stole a good bit from it's color tone.

And the SR88 really found it's stride in performance for most people this year compared to those who struggled to initiate the turn with it in the past while keeping performance for the hard chargers.

The 95 is 166,175,184,193

The 102 is 173,182,191.

LindseyB

Stöckli
Industry Insider
Manufacturer
View attachment 121744
I don’t get why everyone is gaga over these. To me it looks like the Oslo airport, all grey in a grey land. Pretty boring. But, still better than the snakes and barbed wire graphics of 10yrs ago.

You should see them in person, they are more like jewels. There are multiple tones and coloring in each ski and in the sun's reflection they are super cool.

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
You know that feeling when you're demoing skis and you think one is pretty amazing, but you know there's other amazing skis out there. Then throughout the day you seem to compare all of the skis to that one...for me, that was the Wildcat 86.
@elemmac, can you clear up some confusion lingering from up thread? Is the Wildcat 86 you're talking about a new "black" edition, or is this substantively the same as the 20-21 Wildcat? Pics? In any case it's validating that you liked it so much, since I'm such a fan of the sibling Wingman design. What I especially love about it is the combination of ease of use with technical precision and strength on edge.

I for one would not care if they were all white, grey or whatever as long as they still skied like a Stöckli. Graphics are only to catch your eye in the store or on line . Not once has graphics contributed anything to my skiing enjoyment
For those of you who aren't aware, @Brad J sleeps on a pallet, wakes at 4am, and jumps through a hole in the ice before tying a rope around the waist of his raw wool habit (albeit sporting a very discreet Arcteryx logo) and starting his day creating new designs for the Oslo airport.

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
View attachment 121744
I don’t get why everyone is gaga over these. To me it looks like the Oslo airport, all grey in a grey land. Pretty boring. But, still better than the snakes and barbed wire graphics of 10yrs ago.
James, you are a gas.

Lauren

AKA elemmac
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Is the Wildcat 86 you're talking about a new "black" edition, or is this substantively the same as the 20-21 Wildcat? Pics? In any case it's validating that you liked it so much, since I'm such a fan of the sibling Wingman design. What I especially love about it is the combination of ease of use with technical precision and strength on edge.

It is indeed an all new Black edition. I haven't been on this year's model, but with your description...I'd say this one holds true.

I didn't do so great with pics during the demo. @Tricia might of gotten a good one?

Ron

Seeking the next best ski
SkiTalk Tester
@GregK count me in too. I may be able to get on it via my LSS but this year makes it tough. I am sold, hook, line and sinker on the M-Free 108. I know you liked it as well. Review going up this week. I dont "need" a 100 ski but I could make and exception if they simply scale the ski but retain the same shape and flow of the ski.

Ron

Seeking the next best ski
SkiTalk Tester
SR88 stays the same size run. 166,175,184.

What was the idea behind the change to a 175? It changed a lot of skiers minds from jumping on the 88. a 177/178 seems to be the "right" length for that middle length ski.

GregK

Skiing the powder
Skier
i wanted to get on that ski, but the rep lives in town, so I figure it won't be hard to try a pair and report on them.
@GregK count me in too. I may be able to get on it via my LSS but this year makes it tough. I am sold, hook, line and sinker on the M-Free 108. I know you liked it as well. Review going up this week. I dont "need" a 100 ski but I could make and exception if they simply scale the ski but retain the same shape and flow of the ski.

Have heard reports from others it skis just like a narrower, lighter MFree 108 which makes sense as it’s just a few mm off tip/tail from being -9mm all around vs the 108. Same tip/tail shape too so I’m sure it will ski great.
Hoping the longest length in the MFree 99 is similar to the Menace 98 and MFree 108 with a little more “beef” behind it vs the length below.

Don’t need another 100mm either but if it has a turn radius in the 20-21m range like I’m hoping, it might be an even better fit for me than my Enforcer 104s and has better designed tips than my Candide 2.0 for skiing over crud at speed.

Reactions: Ron
TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
What was the idea behind the change to a 175? It changed a lot of skiers minds from jumping on the 88. a 177/178 seems to be the "right" length for that middle length ski.
177-180 is the reference size for a 88-90mm ski. 175 to 184 IMHO does not make sense. I also think 7-8cm are better breaks.

Bobalooski

Getting off the lift
Inactive
177-180 is the reference size for a 88-90mm ski. 175 to 184 IMHO does not make sense. I also think 7-8cm are better breaks.
I would agree. I also don’t quite see the sizing choices for the new SR102. I ski the current SR95 in a 175, but would hesitate to ski the SR102 in a 182 and not in the 173.

Sponsor

Staff online

• Dwight
    Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid