• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Report from the Snow: 2021 Waterville Valley Demo

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
You know that feeling when you're demoing skis and you think one is pretty amazing, but you know there's other amazing skis out there. Then throughout the day you seem to compare all of the skis to that one...for me, that was the Wildcat 86.
That ski was really engaging!!!

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
First time on Stöckli

:geek: :geek: :geek:

there's a reason that someone forks out the extra dollars for a premium ski..because they want the phycological knowledge they're getting the pinnacle of performance-

Clearly there are differing views on this. I couldn't care less when a ski changes again (and they will always change). I buy a ski - including my Stocklis - because I liked that ski. If they changed it two days later, why should I care? There is no "pinnacle" or they'd still be making the same ski from many years ago. Progress and change are fun! :) Of course, YMMV, but not all buyers are in your camp.

LindseyB

Stöckli
Industry Insider
Manufacturer
177-180 is the reference size for a 88-90mm ski. 175 to 184 IMHO does not make sense. I also think 7-8cm are better breaks.
I definitely agree that 7-8cm breaks are great and that's where I would like to see the Nela (7cm) and Stormriders (7 or 8cm)in the future.

Last edited:

LindseyB

Stöckli
Industry Insider
Manufacturer
What was the idea behind the change to a 175? It changed a lot of skiers minds from jumping on the 88. a 177/178 seems to be the "right" length for that middle length ski.

The thinking was that the 186 was too long for so many people and getting rid of the rocker would keep the running length similar.

I would like to see a slight adjustment for both the 88 and 95 sizing. It is already being discussed. 4 sizes in each with a tighter break would be a more precise fit for a greater number of people.

My selfish wish would be 5 cm breaks like old school skis.

Last edited:

DanoT

RVer-Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Sun Peaks B.C. in winter, Victoria B.C. in summer
We are seeing that from some brands like Völkl and Blizzard.
When they offer skis in 5cm incremental lengths, do they also incrementally vary width dimensions? If they do, I'm pretty sure that requires a separate mold for each length.

James

Out There
Instructor
You should see them in person, they are more like jewels. There are multiple tones and coloring in each ski and in the sun's reflection they are super cool.
Sounds good! Yes, the Oslo airport doesn’t do that.
My selfish wish would be 5 cm breaks like old school skis.
Now we’re talking!
Hey, at least you don’t do what Kastle did and make you switch models to get the length.
My Stockli is 192cm Sr95. Basically because no one wanted it at Killington, and it was an offer I couldn’t refuse.

Last edited:

Erik Timmerman

So much better than a pro
Instructor
When they offer skis in 5cm incremental lengths, do they also incrementally vary width dimensions? If they do, I'm pretty sure that requires a separate mold for each length.

Wouldn't you always need a new mold for every length?

LindseyB

Stöckli
Industry Insider
Manufacturer
Wouldn't you always need a new mold for every length?

For Stockli it would cost a fortune to build that many molds because of the complexity of the mold. There separate molds of each size of each ski.

The press system has to be reset for every length as well.

It gets really costly in both time and materials to do that many sizes. Stockli pressing of the special gluing system already takes longer and is more costly, but if Stockli keeps growing at the current rate it might become feasible in the not to distant future to see tighter breaks like 7cm on more of the freeride skis. Currently only some of the race skis are grouped at 5cm.

LindseyB

Stöckli
Industry Insider
Manufacturer
View attachment 121669
Right before that hidden slalom rut took my ski off. Ouch.

Reusch has glove leashes available if you contact customer support. I highly advise it. They only cost around 10 bucks.

Most of the gloves already have the leash, but some of the race don't. I wish they all came with leashes.

I think Reusch is starting to make a comeback in the U.S. Mostly because they have a really good Intermountain rep ;)

markojp

mtn rep for the gear on my feet
Industry Insider
Instructor
By the way--I'd like to shout out to Lindsey for being so responsive and engaged--it really adds so much value? Thank you!

... and if you like the current ski, what's the problem? Keep skiing it and smile! :)

Last edited:

Vaskung67

Booting up
Skier
Any more Intel on atomic and why they ditched servotec? Looks like the x9i will be a domestic release and replace the x9?

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Any more Intel on atomic and why they ditched servotec? Looks like the x9i will be a domestic release and replace the x9?
The RevoShock modules looked interesting unfortunately, the sizing at the tent was not conducive to our testers.

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Anyone get on that Nordica HF 120 boot?
Really hoping this spurs Salomon to re enter the rear entry boot market. I confess I’m highly dubious over Nordica after their last attempts in the 90’s.
??? I am not sure I would judge any brand on what they produced 30 years ago.

James

Out There
Instructor
??? I am not sure I would judge any brand on what they produced 30 years ago.
True, but a big segment of the industry is still judging that whole category because of that.

Vaskung67

Booting up
Skier
The RevoShock modules looked interesting unfortunately, the sizing at the tent was not conducive to our testers.
Thanks. Just curious if you had a conversation with the reps about the new tech and why they went away from servotec.

Captain Furious

A ticking time bomb of fury
Skier
View attachment 121744
I don’t get why everyone is gaga over these. To me it looks like the Oslo airport, all grey in a grey land. Pretty boring. But, still better than the snakes and barbed wire graphics of 10yrs ago.

Agreed. Even worse, that looks like a rental fleet to me. What a bummer that Stockli went with this graphic scheme. BUT I'm glad to learn that they look great in person. Being that I'm a big Stockli fan, I'm willing to wait to see them in person before I pass judgment.

Bill

Last edited:

Sponsor

Staff online