• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Resistance bands

Varmintmist

Bear, with furnture.
Skier
Since there are some more "seasoned" folks on here, I wanted to mention bands in lieu of free weights.

Using free weights I found that the joints would hurt after while at the gym. So when covid hit, I got the cheap tube bands online. They work OK, I found that there is a point where the stretch is done, so I got a set of Undersun, the orange ones. So far, I like them.
Pro
The resistance in on 100% of the time.
What that means, is there is no gravity drop at the end (think curls) where you band the elbow and no rest at the top to bang the wrist.
There is pressure in the negative and positive.
So far the joints are good with it.
You can change the resistance by changing your stance. Even half way through a set.
So far, curls, back, chest, triceps... seems to work
They fit in the bag with my PC so they go to work, no excuses

Cons
Still exercises I cant do. More shoulder and knee damage than the bands
Some exercises are a bit odd in the set up. That is the learning curve.
Rough on the hands. You need to wear mechanics gloves.

Steve

SkiMangoJazz
Pass Pulled
I’ve been using a TRX body weight suspension system. Similar to bands but more versatile. You completely control the resistance by how far from directly under the suspension point your feet are and how far you lean and pull.

Can be over a door but best to get a solid bracket in the ceiling to hang them from.

Jilly

Lead Cougar
Skier
Belleville, Ontario,/ Mont Tremblant, Quebec
Back in June we were allowed to exercise outdoors with the gym. So it was bands, TRX and other body weight exercises. I have bands at home for use. Hopefully we won't have to close the gym again this winter....

Steve

SkiMangoJazz
Pass Pulled
After I go to the Jim I go to the John

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
The Anabolic Aliens channel on YouTube has a resistance band playlist that really works for me - structurally and motivationally.

(The embedded video is the first of 15)

TS
Varmintmist

Varmintmist

Bear, with furnture.
Skier
With the tube bands, I put 4 threaded eyes in a wall in the basement. That gave me different attachment points. The latex I dont know will work with them, however since I have been doing it at work, a door or a rack are used as anchors, or nothing.
Not as big of a fan of the tubes. I was using all of them for curls and presses.
The work sched has been changed 4 times in the last year. It doesnt matter if the gym is open or closed, I wont be going.

I got the orange 5 pack https://undersunfitness.com/pages/the-best-resistance-bands-for-your-goals

Last edited:

TheArchitect

Working to improve all the time
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter

With glasses, mind.

The bar on the wall with the adj. hook. Is this better? :crossfingers:

RB.jpg

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Viva la revolución!

Lorenzzo

Be The Snow
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
The Anabolic Aliens channel on YouTube has a resistance band playlist that really works for me - structurally and motivationally.

(The embedded video is the first of 15)
Welcome to the gun club!

I made the switch from the gym and weights to resistance bands towards the beginning of Covid. On day one I snapped a door frame.

puptwin

good ideas, poorly executed
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
The bar on the wall with the adj. hook. Is this better? :crossfingers:

View attachment 141150
I built a similar thing. If I built it again I would add a hook at the bottom, just like the one at the top. The bands will sometimes slide up when doing upward presses.

Attachments

• A111015E-A2B1-41AE-AC70-E9696F81A337 (1).jpeg
    A111015E-A2B1-41AE-AC70-E9696F81A337 (1).jpeg
    58.5 KB · Views: 14
TS
Varmintmist

Varmintmist

Bear, with furnture.
Skier
This is a good overview for the undersun. Some I cant do, but the guns are starting to get some definition again. Squats are OK to, as long as I dont go deep. I still know I did something.

no edge

Out on the slopes
Skier
I have some band exercises that I do for my posture and alignment. When you meet me in person it will become apparent that I should do them more often.

I use a knot in the band to form a loop but I also tie off with a small piece of band in case it snaps.

These exercises are nice because it is not necessary to "max out" or over exert - just go through the motions.

Sponsor

Staff online