• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

johnnyvw

Out on the slopes
Skier
I picked up the Bluelights I found in Virginia. 180cm, same exact as I had back in the 80's. The seller turned out to be the orginal owner, and they were in excellent condition. For a few seconds I considered using the bindings, but a flashback to one of my sX-91s breaking made me think better of that LOL Interestingly, they have the same exact bindings as these. i plan on getting them set up for a few runs at the end of next season.

Dave Petersen

Graphic Designer/Social Media Manager
Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
IMG_1680.jpeg

Let me know if you have what Peter Senn wants and I’ll pass your info on to him.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
Gotta get the "Side of Fries" ski poles to go with them

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
Has anyone done more modern mounts on vintage skis? With the boot more forward (boot sole center nearer chord center), not the toe at chord center?

TS
Bill Talbot

Bill Talbot

Vintage Gear Curator
Industry Insider
Has anyone done more modern mounts on vintage skis? With the boot more forward (boot sole center nearer chord center), not the toe at chord center?
Where ever the ski maker said to mount is where I put them. Center of boot sole at top sheet line or ^ on sidewall., etc.
Of the six pair of skis currently in front of me, here are some rough numbers.
Toe of boot v chord length.
37" on 70" Rossi Smash 2" forward (of chord center)
38.5 on 74 Ohin Mk IV Comp 1.5" forward
39.5 on 76 Ohlin Extreme Comp 1.5" forward
40 on 79 Dynastar Course Slalom 0.5" forward
39 on 77.5 Dynamic VR17 0.25" forward
41 on 82 Spalding Starboards GS on chord center

So 'Freestyle' skis have always been forward, at least back to the early 70's.

Last edited:

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier

How vintage? I've gone as much as +6cm on early 80s Elans BUT don't recommend it.

Turn in is zippy and quick but the tail is slow. Very strong in flex but zero pop.

The only things I remember being OK quite far forward are gold Coupe du Mondes, S9000s and old Saltos.

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
The position of the toe on the Cheeseburgers got me thinking. Out loud.

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
I was unimpressed by the skis in the table.

Spending money on things that bring you joy is not all bad, but $10K for that table wouldn't bring me joy like the thought of 10 new pairs of skis. 20+ on shop form.

James

Out There
Instructor
The original table was going to be $32k. The walnut slab alone he estimated was going to be $15-16k. You still need all the other wood for the base, plus labor.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
I was unimpressed by the skis in the table.

Me too. Of course that also makes them easy to sacrifice. I am however continuously impressed with and inspired by the video maker's attention to detail in the epoxy work and the polishing, and find that several of the things he does there can totally apply to our own epoxy/shiny work.

Just his point on how much actual air was within the cores - and escaped to bubble into the epoxy- was eye opening.

As to 20+ pairs, you're downsizing, remember? ;)

Last edited: