• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

motogreg

A liftie once told me I was an okay skier....
Skier
Dunno if it would count as vintage, but I would love to buy a "new" pair of Volkl Carver Plus skis in a 184 ish from the late 90's. Couple decent looking mounted sets on Ebay, no rush though, waiting for the right skis....Thanks for any leads!

ScotsSkier

USSA Coach
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Dunno if it would count as vintage, but I would love to buy a "new" pair of Völkl Carver Plus skis in a 184 ish from the late 90's. Couple decent looking mounted sets on Ebay, no rush though, waiting for the right skis....Thanks for any leads!

Would you like a really nice pair of snow rangers instead. ? Sitting in my pole for the dump. Really clean….

TS
Bill Talbot

Bill Talbot

Vintage Gear Curator
Industry Insider
Would you like a really nice pair of snow rangers instead. ? Sitting in my pole for the dump. Really clean….

Snow Rangers were a nice ski. Volkl started giving us some useful underfoot real estate and the softer snow/junk became easier to play in!
The Snow Ranger was 80mm and then the Explosiv 3 was 94mm. This was later '90's stuff ('97-'98?). I've been on both in the last few years and they always surprise me for the better.

TS
Bill Talbot

Bill Talbot

Vintage Gear Curator
Industry Insider
I'm still looking for both Orange and Yellow Spaldings'...

Just say'n.

pair.PNG

Spalding.jpg

Last edited:

Andrew Read

Booting up
Skier
Heads up if you're in Chicagoland area. Somebody selling a pair of NOS Hexcel Comps 180.
A little short for my taste but a great addition to any collection.

Attachments

• hexcel.jpg
    hexcel.jpg
    92.5 KB · Views: 14

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
Heads up if you're in Chicagoland area. Somebody selling a pair of NOS Hexcel Comps 180.
A little short for my taste but a great addition to any collection.
I hope they have the mounting epoxy to go with it. I don't know if any OTC epoxy will do the job.

Andrew Read

Booting up
Skier
Dunno if they'll ever get bindings on them. Sounds like a pain to source bindings and mount them yourself. Definitely a lost art for somebody my age. They'd make a nice wall hanger though.

Seller said there was some interest in turning them into shot skis, so I'm just hoping they don't turn up on marketplace a month later with 2 inch holes drilled in them.

Uncle-A

Skier
Dunno if they'll ever get bindings on them. Sounds like a pain to source bindings and mount them yourself. Definitely a lost art for somebody my age. They'd make a nice wall hanger though.

Seller said there was some interest in turning them into shot skis, so I'm just hoping they don't turn up on marketplace a month later with 2 inch holes drilled in them.
A good shop could mount them with the correct epoxy. BTW you would have a lot of trouble drilling 2 inch holes in a Hexcel because the Honeycomb core would just tear apart.
Not sure if it is the photo but my 200 CM Hexcel Competitions were a very dark navy blue and the ones in the picture look purple maybe it is the age of the ski.

dan ross

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I hope they have the mounting epoxy to go with it. I don't know if any OTC epoxy will do the job.
West system G-flex 650 ( toughened) epoxy works in Hexcels. It’s thick enough so it stays put when you turn them upside down to form the epoxy “nut”.. Excellent stuff.

Uncle-A

Skier
West system G-flex 650 ( toughened) epoxy works in Hexcels. It’s thick enough so it stays put when you turn them upside down to form the epoxy “nut”.. Excellent stuff.
Thanks, I will keep that in mind.

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
The temperatures of the epoxy will affect is viscosity. I warm up the resin and hardener before I mix it to make it flow better into thin cracks. There are additives you can mix in to make epoxy that will hold shape while setting.

dan ross

Making fresh tracks
Skier
The temperatures of the epoxy will affect is viscosity. I warm up the resin and hardener before I mix it to make it flow better into thin cracks. There are additives you can mix in to make epoxy that will hold shape while setting.
I do the same- about 8 seconds in a microwave on a piece of wax paper , makes mixing easier and more thorough.
I use the 650 to plug holes , especially if they are close to new ones as not only is it tough , it’s flexible and sticks to everything except HDPE. I generally don’t bother with fillers unless I’m trying to fill a big gap .I don’t mean to sound evangelical about West System but I’ve used it for years from everything from laminated boat stems and booms to everyday household
repairs and it’s never let me down.

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
I used some total boat flexible epoxy recently. I looking forward to hear how it worked out. The leftovers on the mixing sheet were very flexible.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Big vintage sale starting tomorrow in Jamestown NY. He has some Siderals for $50. Shown on FaceBook 'Cowboys legends & Icons' page
I was at that shop back in 08 or so. I have seen many of those ski. I really would like the Rossi reproduction but not in budget.

Sponsor