• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Retro MTB

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I remember when we got one of these in the shop and we (all car and motorcycle guys..) looked at it and went..well that sucks... :ogbiggrin:

Rear suspension brought to you by a leveraged stack of rubber donuts?!

I don't think so!

Hard to believe this was the same company that designed the astounding rear sus on my Fuel EX and Slash......but everybody was feeling their way into things back then without any crystal ball.....hydraulic shock? Too heavy!

@Bill Talbot probably remembers that one of the earliest proponents of truly long travel mtbs was Brent Foes. The Foes Weasel was pretty roundly ridiculed by the cognoscenti for having a far-too-great five inches of travel.

I'm also beginning to see the idea of a gravel bike for all round riding. Got stuck on some gravel by chance recently and my 970mm wheelbase, 25c tire road bike is a bit..tricky. I don't think the "losses" of a gravel bike exceed the utility of the design. I can't do anything larger than 25c tires and to at least have the option of a 35 or 38c tire would be great.

Yup. On the cusp of selling my road bike -- even though it fits 30s. Just gotta be really sure, because replacement isn't an option.

Is this any worse than skiing? I plug in my boot bag, charge my boot heaters, Turbo fan goggles, bluetooth helmet and my phone.

Yikes! I'm in for the phone only. Even that sits in the car while actually skiing.

TS
Bill Talbot

Bill Talbot

Vintage Gear Curator
Industry Insider
A little history from 1953, what was called the 'Woodsie' bike

1953 woodsie-bike.jpg

TS
Bill Talbot

Bill Talbot

Vintage Gear Curator
Industry Insider
Here's two makers most folks would never think of building MTBs.

J P Weigle (Peter)
In this case it is kitted for ice racing!

1983WeigleIce.JPG

Colnago (with U brake)

Early 90's Colnago.jpg

Last edited:

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
One of my fondest memories of vintage bikes was the Fisher CR-7. CroMo rear triangle bolted to a carbon front end.

Financially unviable to me back then, I did manage to rent one in Santa Fe. Pedalled up the road to Ski Santa Fe, up to the top of the ski area, came down, then back to town on the epic Windsor Trail.

For a 29-year old kid skipping out on a day of a work conference, it was quite the adventure!

37342175_2496150080411136_3582823810941845504_n.jpg

TS
Bill Talbot

Bill Talbot

Vintage Gear Curator
Industry Insider
Jim Merz built prototype SJ Team bike for the Turin/Specialized team

Merz made SJ proto.jpg

Last edited:
TS
Bill Talbot

Bill Talbot

Vintage Gear Curator
Industry Insider
Before there were mtb's in California...

Here's Brandt and a very young Ritchie riding their bikes on the same dirt roads and trails mtb's would later follow. Only on 700c tubulars... and what looks like 42-19 low gears.

brandt and ritchey.jpg

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier
Bullmoose bars and straight blocks..those were the days... I'll never mount or patch another tubular...

dan ross

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Saratoga is still in New England's backyard!
You don't think the boys and girls @ Serotta know how to build a bike???
I worked Ben in college but Serotta cycles is no longer a business per se’- he has started something new but I do t believe they are U.S. made frames. And yes, you can be in Vermont ( New England personified) in 40 minutes from Saratoga- I did it many times including last week.

Sponsor

Staff online

• Andy Mink
    Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January