• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Returning skier, aspiring ski instructor, looking for advice on gear

TooNice

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
Hi everyone!

I am a snowboard instructor, aiming to obtain basic (NZSIA L1) ski instructor licence this season to become more versatile.

I've skied 6 seasons as a kid but that was so long ago I am just going to assume that I am going to have to start off again as a beginner again.

At the time, I was using whatever equipment my school would lend me, so I never had my own gear or learned anything about the gear, so I am hoping to get some expert advice here :)

The first thing I would like to ask is about boots. I am a guy, with small but wide feet measuring 24cm, and after plenty of trial and error and pain, find that for snowboard boots I need boots that are not only have a wider toebox, but also measure 24.5cm. 24cm simply doesn't work.

1. As far as snowboard boots go, most men's boots start at 25cm and above (and even when the manufacturer make smaller size, retailers may not stock them), so I often end up buying stiffer women's boots. Is this something I would need to deal with when it comes to ski boots? And if so, I have a question about flex. Is a 100 rated boot for men the same as a 100 rated boot for women when it comes to skis assuming they are from the same manufacturer? (I am asking this because in snowboard they aren't, given equal rating, women's boots tend to be softer)

2. I will consider myself a beginner at this point, but given that spend entire season in a resort and am not teaching this season, only training, I expect to progress reasonably quickly. At the very least, I am hoping to reach the level expected of a rookie ski instructor. I am also likely to play a little in the small park during spring (for personal enjoyment). Keeping this in mind, what kind of flex would you recommend? If it helps, about 66kg when fully clothed.

3. Any thing else important I need to know when picking boots? Thanks!

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Any thing else important I need to know when picking boots?
The usual (and best) advice is find a good bootfitter and let them pick for you. Ski boots are much different from snowboard boats, and much more important to try for a perfect fit. And everyone's foot is different. The usual additional advice I give, is make an apppointment, wear very thin socks and pants you can pull above your knees, and expect to spend a couple hours getting fit, trying different boots, etc.

Last edited:
TS
T

TooNice

Skier
The usual (and best) advice is find a good bootfitter and let them pick for you. Ski boots are much different from snowboard boats, and much more important to try for a perfect fit. And everyone's foot is different. The usual additional advice I give, is make an apppointment, wear very thin socks and pants you can pull above your knees, and expect to spend a couple hours getting fit, trying different boots, etc.

Thanks for the input. I do not doubt for a second the importance of having perfect fitting boots. I nearly gave up snowboarding early on because the smallest rental boots for men were too big and I couldn't apply any pressure on my toes because my heel would lift very high!

That said, I suspect that the second question at least is something better answered by someone who skis a lot / with experience teaching dedicated students. Comfort is of course important, but I also want to make sure that is something I can enjoy using past one season (my "season" being 90-150+ days on slope).

(TBH, finding a good local boot fitter is a challenge in itself where I am. There is a reputable one, but when I went to shop for snowboard boots, they simply did not have my size; having wide yet unusually small feet for a guy do makes things tricky)

James

Out There
Instructor
We don’t know where you are, so skis are tough to suggest. I would think about getting a bunch of stuff used. Except boots.

If you want to learn quickly, go short and narrow on the skis for groomers. Short forces you to deal with fore/aft balance, lets you really feel what the inside foot is doing, and things happen quickly. Narrow lets you feel the effect of tipping movements in the feet right away.

Or, just go long and fat with tons of rocker and just slash around everywhere getting good at that. Plenty of people will be impressed but not those examining.

For soft 3-d snow you’ll need something else.
(If you torture yourself and learn to ski that short narrow thing in some of that stuff, you’ll surpass the vast majority)

I know it’s tempting to get 1 ski for everything. The problem is then you’ll go like in the high 80’s or fatter, like 100mm, and everyone will tell you how 100mm makes a great all around ski. (Standby…)

Before the explosion of fat skis and differently profiled skis, most people had one ski, not fat. This is why powder lasted much longer, because people couldn’t ski it. Then maybe they gave up, and got a snowboard. ogsmile

If you’re doing 150 days in a season, you’re going to need good boots, and your liners will likely be shot in one season, boots in two. (That’s pushing it also) Skis will kind of be done in one season.

Last edited:
TS
T

TooNice

Skier
We don’t know where you are, so skis are tough to suggest. I would think about getting a bunch of stuff used. Except boots.

If you want to learn quickly, go short and narrow on the skis for groomers. Short forces you to deal with fore/aft balance, lets you really feel what the inside foot is doing, and things happen quickly. Narrow lets you feel the effect of tipping movements in the feet right away.

Or, just go long and fat with tons of rocker and just slash around everywhere getting good at that. Plenty of people will be impressed but not those examining.

For soft 3-d snow you’ll need something else.
(If you torture yourself and learn to ski that short narrow thing in some of that stuff, you’ll surpass the vast majority)

I know it’s tempting to get 1 ski for everything. The problem is then you’ll go like in the high 80’s or fatter, like 100mm, and everyone will tell you how 100mm makes a great all around ski. (Standby…)

Before the explosion of fat skis and differently profiled skis, most people had one ski, not fat. This is why powder lasted much longer, because people couldn’t ski it. Then maybe they gave up, and got a snowboard. ogsmile

If you’re doing 150 days in a season, you’re going to need good boots, and your liners will likely be shot in one season, boots in two. (That’s pushing it also) Skis will kind of be done in one season.

Thanks for the tips!

Yeah sounds very much like I would tell a new snowboarder on limited budget: get the best fitting boot possible, and second hand everything else to begin with. On my side, I will see if I can get some hand-downs from family (I am the only snowboarder in the family and I have some nephews who outgrew me so I am sure there must be some skis / poles that will get things done for now).

And yeah, when I was skiing as a kid, I don't think fat skis were really much of a thing (or helmet for that matter), and I couldn't ski powder at all. Guess I will stick to shorti-sh narrow skis for now, I will probably grab my board on a pow day anyway since that is what I am most comfortable at the moment anyway.

How wide are park skis typically? I imagine they would be a bit shorter, so if a park ski can also be used to pick up the fundamental then it would be nice.

BTW, I am based in Japan. I do move around quite a bit, ranging from pretty quiet local resort to better international known places. Right now I am in Niseko, so I do have access to a well known boot fitting shop.. but the location also make it expensive, and last time I went there looking for snowboard boots they did not have my size, so it's still not a given that they will be able to sort me out. Then again, I don't know, maybe ski boots are simply more customisable than snowboard boots *shrug*.

TS
T

TooNice

Skier
Well, went to the only boot fitter at the resort I am at. After mentioning what I said in this thread, he measuring my feet (about 24cm, but with left feet a few mm more but under 24.5cm, on the wide side) and gave me 3-4 pairs to try on.

I think I was started off with K2 and a Dalbello with a flex of 100 and a last of 100. They were definitely comfortable, to the point where I wondered if they might have been *too* comfortable. Next I tried a pair of Salmon with a last of 98. A lot more snug, at first I thought that they were good. But after wearing them for 10min or so, I noticed that they pinched at my calves. And a few more min later, I noticed that it's snug but borderline cutting off blood flow. Reminded me of the first two seasons I used Salomon boots for snowboards. They locked my feet down well, but they are a touch too small for my wide feet (even after heat moulding etc.). I didn't ask what model the first boots I tried were - I didn't want to give the impression I just wanted to try stuff only to buy stuff online later (not the intention). At the same time, I also didn't want to rush my decision. But I know the first three were men's boots.

Finally he asked if I was fine trying one more, a women's boots. Since I wear women's boots 80% of the time when I snowboard, I am perfectly fine with it. I don't care if it's pink or purple, as long as the fit was good (some of my earlier snowboard boots definitely looked girly/flashy). Besides, for snowboard boots they tend to be a little cheaper than men's boots for the equivalent range. He came back with another K2 with a last of 98. But the fit was tighter than the first two pairs, but also less than the Salomon, the calves area felt okay, it felt like a good starting point for my first pair of boots. Up until this point, I didn't ask about the price since it's pretty irrelevant, but I was expecting, for my aspirations to get boots in the upper-mid range of the manufacturer, and pay in accordance to that.

It turns out that the pair I tried was a K2 Anthem Team, which is a new top of the range model with a price to match. Ouch. Pretty stiff flex too (125?), but I don't mind that, I spend enough time on snow that I am sure I'll acquire the strength and skill to handle it.

Before pulling the trigger on that though, I would like to ask a bit more about some of the other K2 offerings, and I may ask to try them next time when I make my final decision.

1. The K2 Anthem Team and K2 Anthem Pro look like pretty much the same boots, but with the Team version having a "Tech fitting", that, I quote "allowing for compatibility with both tech bindings and alpine DIN bindings". I am not really familiar with ski binding tech, so can someone explain if this tech is potentially useful to have?

2. The Anthem Team doesn't have a "walk mode". The boot fitter seems to prefer boots without walk mode for performance reasons.. is this something that is generally shared here? Or should I ask to try the Mindbender Team too?

pchewn

Skiing the powder
Skier
I have wide feet and thick calves. I just got new boots this season. K2 BFC 120 (they also offer in 100, 90, 80 flex mens, 105 95, 85,75 women's). This is the K2 boot with the widest last and most open calf fitting which might be what you want.

See if your shop can get a pair for you to try on. (I'm assuming your feet and calf are very wide for the length of your foot, based on your description).

See here: https://www.skitalk.com/threads/k2-...-wide-as-in-dirigible-hangar-c130-wide.28348/

Last edited:

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
1. The K2 Anthem Team and K2 Anthem Pro look like pretty much the same boots, but with the Team version having a "Tech fitting", that, I quote "allowing for compatibility with both tech bindings and alpine DIN bindings". I am not really familiar with ski binding tech, so can someone explain if this tech is potentially useful to have?

2. The Anthem Team doesn't have a "walk mode". The boot fitter seems to prefer boots without walk mode for performance reasons.. is this something that is generally shared here? Or should I ask to try the Mindbender Team too?

Tech bindings are skinning/backcountry so the heels can be free, and the toes can pivot when skinning uphill on skis. If you don't plan to do that, there's no advantage. Alpine DIN bindings are typical downhill skiing bindings.

A lot of folks don't care about walk mode, but opinions seem to vary.

James

Out There
Instructor
Walk mode for alpine- don’t bother.
If you want that get an AT boot oriented to downhill- If you’re ever going to skin, or stand around a lot like a race coach.

TS
T

TooNice

Skier
Thanks for the replies.

@pchewn The description is accurate. I have short legs but pretty big calves. I'll ask about the BFC, I remember reading they were comfortable boots with a walk mode.

@James Do you know if the K2 Mindbender are considered a downhill focussed AT boots? AFAIK, they are not made to be super light like some touring boots, I figured they are either downhill oriented or 50/50. On my end, I am obviously going to have to make sure I can handle varying terrain inbound on skis before anything, but I do enjoy quite a bit of sidecountry on a board, and have done 30-120min hikes on soft snowboard boots. Not sure if it warrants looking into something with walk mode?

James

Out There
Instructor
Thanks for the replies.

@pchewn The description is accurate. I have short legs but pretty big calves. I'll ask about the BFC, I remember reading they were comfortable boots with a walk mode.

@James Do you know if the K2 Mindbender are considered a downhill focussed AT boots? AFAIK, they are not made to be super light like some touring boots, I figured they are either downhill oriented or 50/50. On my end, I am obviously going to have to make sure I can handle varying terrain inbound on skis before anything, but I do enjoy quite a bit of sidecountry on a board, and have done 30-120min hikes on soft snowboard boots. Not sure if it warrants looking into something with walk mode?
Don’t know. Weight is generally the way to tell.
Since you’re in Niseko, you’ll need more than one ski. Otherwise when there's pow, you’ll change boots and get a snowboard? :nono:

jimidut

Skier since Rope Tow days
Skier
Get two pairs
One pair or two pairs for you to free ski on, and one pair of used short skis (140-150) for teaching the brats. You will be teaching brats as an FNG instructor. They ski across your skiis all day and you need short skiis for maneuvers amongst the little darlings.

jimidut

Skier since Rope Tow days
Skier
Forgot to add Boot Heaters. Often times busy days do not allow proper thaw out after lessons. After suffering for years I finally got a Hotronics set up for my old Boots. What a difference that made.

TS
T

TooNice

Skier
Thanks for the replies!

I have decided to borrow a relative's set up after she quit skiing following an accident.

The skis at 153cm / 74mm likely for beginners and the boots are on paper a whole size bigger and likely soft. So this is really a very temporary set up (though I may keep the skis for teaching - might need to change the bindings as I doubt it is compatible with grip walk) just to get me on the snow and see what it is going to be like to be on two planks again.

Assuming that the boots will be too big as I suspect they will be, I have narrowed down to two options I will buy during end of season sales: K2 Mindbender 130 and K2 Mindbender W 115 (they seem to fit me well).

And this is where I am having a bit of difficulty deciding. I am small for a guy at 163cm / 62kg, but I am athletically built especially on the lower body. I ride average an average of 5.5-6 hours without break, having done 7+ hours without break mostly off-piste..

The 115 will most likely get me started fine, but I am not sure if I will find myself "outgrowing" them if I use them a lot. On the other hand 130 is near the stiffest boots make. The shop staff told me that the Mindbender are a bit on the soft side of their rating, but.. do you guys think it is a bad idea to start this stiff even assuming that I tend to really push myself on snow?

(And no, I can't really buy both - I am spending far, far too much on snow gear lately lol)

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
...do you guys think it is a bad idea to start this stiff even assuming that I tend to really push myself on snow?
Stiffer is not necessarily better or more advanced... depends on you and your skiing. I've skied 100 and 110 flex boots for the last 8 years (and I'm 182cm and 82kg). There are different schools of thought on this, and stiffer boots also tend to come with the best buckles, straps, features, etc. (and be more expensive). But I'd say get something good for you now, per the bootfitters recommendation (you are going to a good bootfitter, and not picking boots yourself, right?) and not worry too much about outgrowing them.

I'm not familiar with those particular boot models either, so maybe someone here more familiar with them can comment.

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
The 115 will most likely get me started fine, but I am not sure if I will find myself "outgrowing" them if I use them a lot. On the other hand 130 is near the stiffest boots make. The shop staff told me that the Mindbender are a bit on the soft side of their rating, but.. do you guys think it is a bad idea to start this stiff even assuming that I tend to really push myself on snow?
A good fitter can soften boots pretty easily if they're really too stiff. The other way round, no go. I wouldn't get too fixated on those flex numbers; there is no absolute scale on which they mean anything. Get the ones that fit best.

Nobody

Out of my mind, back in five.
Skier
Ditto what @dbostedo says.
I have been skiing in stiffer and softer boots. I am currently skiing in 110 Dalbello boots for everyday skiing (won't comment about the GS boots I am using since it is not needed by you at the moment). Keep in mind that the F.I number is just that, a number. It is not an absolute, industry standard. It is relative. E.G a 110 F.I. K2 might be (feel) stiffer or softer than a 110 F.I. Dalbello. For sure my BackCountry boots (1st gen Tecnica ZGGP) "rated" somehow 130 F.I., are not a stiff as a "pure" downhill 130 F.I. boot from the same brand.
Now, walk mode or not? It depends if you are going mainly to instruct in those boots or "just" skiing (and skiing back country as well). It boils down to personal preference.
And that comes with a lot of skiing under the belt.
E.G: there are ski instructors, at the area where I ski, that ski on Tecnica Cochise 130 (an hybrid boot, which has walk mode and grip walk soles too). Others ski in "pure" downhill boots...and that is only two types, there are some skiing in AT boots as well...It also depends who will be your students. Going to spend lots of hours/days at the magic carpets with kids and/or complete beginners (and maybe going in and out from the lodge)? With your skis off ? Boots with GW soles and walk mode might be the ideal setup. Intermediate advanced adults? Spending most of the time on skis? Doing steeps? Pure downhill boot might (and yet it might not, any decent hybrid boot can handle this as well) be a better choice.
I wouldn't worry if your initial boot of choice says F.I. 115. Very likely you'll need to change them within 2 seasons (assuming you will now half ski and half board those 90-150+ days) at most.

mister moose

Instigator
Skier
I wouldn't worry about a 130 flex until you start racing. Far more important is fit. If you want to advance, you need to be precise. If you are going to achieve precision, you need to have every twitch and noodge transmitted to the ski. Focus on eliminating all slop, slide and heel lift with a decent quality boot and boot fitter.

Last edited:

Sponsor