• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Popeye Cahn

Out on the slopes
Skier
Update for 2021: So they changed the juice, it's now just a one part.

I applied it to a new pair today and while I had clear skies all day I wasn't confident that they were fully cured. So I called my nearest REI and spoke with a gent there that confirmed some things I had noticed from the last time I used the product.

First off was that it doesn't dry out to a whiteish substance. Second was that it really should be cured in the DPS hotbox. So after 3 hours in the sun I took the skis to REI and had Matt cure them. I did the finish work after I got home. I will find out hopefully next month or so how well the new product works.

That said, I have been satisfied with how my other skis have glided in all conditions over all. Yes, hitting cat tracks and slush are going to slow you down (things mentioned prior) and yes, I weigh 135 lbs so that factors into it, but they glide well all things considered. I seem to be the perfect market for this product Here's to the 21/22 season!

David Chaus

Beyond Help
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I still have an unused Phantom 2.0 (the 2-part process) from a couple years ago. I was going to apply it to my Billy Goat powder skis 2 years ago after the original wax wore off enough, but the prep treatment from ON3P was so good (and relatively few powder days) I was able to go the whole season without needing to rewax, just brushed a few times.

Then last year I got my Woodsmans, same story though I have used them more than the Billy Goats. I’m thinking I might strip the remaining wax of the Woodsman, apply the Phantom and see how it goes, though I may wax over the Phantom as has been done with my Renoun Z90’s. Maybe have a shop that handles DPS do the Phantom since we’ve run out of sunshine and warm weather around here.

I was happy enough with the performance of Phantom with the exception of cold, dry snow I experienced at Big Sky, so applied a cold weather wax. They have since been waxed with more ”PNW” wax, and are due for a full tune (and core shot repair). I can live with the overall performance of Phantom most of the time, though having appropriate wax for certain conditions definitely makes a difference.

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
I still have an unused Phantom 2.0 (the 2-part process) from a couple years ago. I was going to apply it to my Billy Goat powder skis 2 years ago after the original wax wore off enough, but the prep treatment from ON3P was so good (and relatively few powder days) I was able to go the whole season without needing to rewax, just brushed a few times.

Then last year I got my Woodsmans, same story though I have used them more than the Billy Goats. I’m thinking I might strip the remaining wax of the Woodsman, apply the Phantom and see how it goes, though I may wax over the Phantom as has been done with my Renoun Z90’s. Maybe have a shop that handles DPS do the Phantom since we’ve run out of sunshine and warm weather around here.

I was happy enough with the performance of Phantom with the exception of cold, dry snow I experienced at Big Sky, so applied a cold weather wax. They have since been waxed with more ”PNW” wax, and are due for a full tune (and core shot repair). I can live with the overall performance of Phantom most of the time, though having appropriate wax for certain conditions definitely makes a difference.
Do it now when you still have a chance at at least a little solar!

Popeye Cahn

Out on the slopes
Skier
Cat tracks slow you down?
The flat ones? I want to say that I read this mentioned elsewhere in this thread and was referencing that, maybe I misread (very possible, I studied the Evelyn Woodhead sped reading method lol). Also I weigh nothing, so am very likely to be influenced by things that will slow one's ass down lol

tazdevl

Putting on skis
Skier
It’s slower than a good wax in spring for me. The best thing about Phantom is set and forget. I’m not a tinkerer, I want to use my stuff.

Any time I hear about infinite tune my first thought is “run”. There’s zero need for Phantom if you think there’s a best base setting for various conditions. It’s perfect if you don’t care, just get a spring wax on top once a year.

This… all our skis and boards have been phantom’d. Glides plenty fast in my experience and where I ski. Might lose out a bit in spring slush vs a warm weather wax, but I wouldn’t say the delta is yuuuuggeee. If it was noticeable on avg and cold days I would’ve gone back to obsessing over wax every weekend.

@Popeye Cahn Iirc Denver REI was using the single solution last year, so I wouldn’t say it’s new.

3 other upsides of Phantom based on my experience…
1) wax tends to last longer vs untreated base if you do run temp specific wax (I did occasionally first year I tried it). We deal with a fair amount of man made/blown snow in CO front range which is def harder on wax.
2) it doesn’t funk up your skins like a waxed base does.
3) when your wax does wear if you do wax over, especially in spring, it glides way better than a worn waxed base so when you hit that sticky spot and decelerate quick, it can save you from an injury.

If you are looking for wax, Purl released their new fluoro free Pro Series a week or so ago.

Last edited:
Applied last season (local REI has DPS machine). Went about 24 days without reapplying standard wax. I did notice some loss in glide after about 15-20 days and noticeable drag during the spring. I waxed at the end of season for storage. Hoping I can go another 15-20 days again.

DanoT

RVer-Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Sun Peaks B.C. in winter, Victoria B.C. in summer
I got 3 pair of skis treated with DPS at the start of last season, didn't use any wax, didn't figure there was any point to storage wax.

charlier

Fresh Tracks
Skier
Phantom wax - atf
Update for 2021: So they changed the juice, it's now just a one part.

I applied it to a new pair today and while I had clear skies all day I wasn't confident that they were fully cured. So I called my nearest REI and spoke with a gent there that confirmed some things I had noticed from the last time I used the product.

First off was that it doesn't dry out to a whiteish substance. Second was that it really should be cured in the DPS hotbox. So after 3 hours in the sun I took the skis to REI and had Matt cure them. I did the finish work after I got home. I will find out hopefully next month or so how well the new product works.

That said, I have been satisfied with how my other skis have glided in all conditions over all. Yes, hitting cat tracks and slush are going to slow you down (things mentioned prior) and yes, I weigh 135 lbs so that factors into it, but they glide well all things considered. I seem to be the perfect market for this product Here's to the 21/22 season!
Nothing wrong with DIY, but Phantom application is best done by a trained and experienced ski tech. I mostly ski in the PacNW and Phantom seems to work better in a maritime snowpack. My touring skis have the treatment, but I always apply a red/yellow lo-fluro mix during my late spring and summer volcano missions.

ScottB

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Phantom wax - atf

Nothing wrong with DIY, but Phantom application is best done by a trained and experienced ski tech.

I would disagree with this statement, but it all depends on the ability of the person doing the application, both DIY and ski tech. Trained and experienced ski tech's can be theoretical in some shops. I have done about a dozen DIY Phantom applications and have had ZERO issues. I will say that brushing the "crap" out of them as the final step is key to getting good glide right off the bat. I didn't do the best brush job on a couple of pairs and it took a few days for the glide to reach full potential. I have never had a shop do it, so I guess I don't have experience with the alternative, for what its worth. DIY and buying the Phantom on discount is a significant cost savings.

ScottB

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
They have a summer sale (dps) but I did better buying on Amazon with free shipping

tazdevl

Putting on skis
Skier
Applied last season (local REI has DPS machine). Went about 24 days without reapplying standard wax. I did notice some loss in glide after about 15-20 days and noticeable drag during the spring. I waxed at the end of season for storage. Hoping I can go another 15-20 days again.

Phantomd bases still need to be brushed or ground out after a while just like your average base. Glide restored… or it’s just time to rub, cork and brush some warm weather wax. If applied right it should permeate the entire base, so I don’t know why you couldnt go another 15-20 days or 100 days.

UV helps Phantom permeate the base... imo going somewhere that has a cure box that bombs the base with UV means (unless they don’t remove previous wax/grind the base a bit) you’ve got a solid application. Most folks I know that had issues did it themselves by either not removing wax and grinding the base or UV conditions were less than ideal when they applied it.

@pchewn if you’re an REI member, iirc I paid ~$122 vs $150 at most other shops.

Last edited:

charlier

Fresh Tracks
Skier
I would disagree with this statement, but it all depends on the ability of the person doing the application, both DIY and ski tech. Trained and experienced ski tech's can be theoretical in some shops. I have done about a dozen DIY Phantom applications and have had ZERO issues. I will say that brushing the "crap" out of them as the final step is key to getting good glide right off the bat. I didn't do the best brush job on a couple of pairs and it took a few days for the glide to reach full potential. I have never had a shop do it, so I guess I don't have experience with the alternative, for what its worth. DIY and buying the Phantom on discount is a significant cost savings.
At least in the Pac NW, I have yet to look at DIY application that was as good as an experienced ski tech that has worked with DPS and has substantial Phantom application experience (100's of applications). Or perhaps its too cloudy in the the PacNW.

DanoT

RVer-Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Sun Peaks B.C. in winter, Victoria B.C. in summer
@pchewn if you’re an REI member, iirc I paid ~$122 vs $150 at most other shops.

Last fall Mountain Equipment Co-op (Mec) was selling DIY DPS Phantom kit for $119 CAD +12%tax. I had a ski shop at Sun Peaks do it for $179CAD +tax.

nay

dirt heel pusher
Skier

I have an unused 2.0 as well - it’s going to go on a new set of Bent Chetler 120’s. We have plenty of solar in CO at 7,400’ this time of year to get a cure and my results have been exactly what everybody here reports so I’m not going to overthink it.

Worst case with this stuff is you wax your skis.

Sponsor

Staff online