• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

SBrown

So much better than a pro
Skier
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
After testing the new Kästle FX85 last SIA, I told Mr. Davenport, “It’s like cheating!” — so quick and easy to ski, super fun in bumps yet handled both groomed and light crud with ease. I already own an MX83, so I felt the want but not the need for a similar ski. Except that they aren’t that similar, and as summer approached its end, I kept thinking about that black and red ski ….

kastlefx85.jpg

Fast forward to 2016, my willpower finally lapsed and I am the proud owner of a pair of 173s mounted on the line with Pivot 12s. I have had two full days on them so far. The FX85 was in its element on a lovely January chalk day at Copper Mountain. My concern back at SIA was how the non-metal ski would hold up to speed; I did need to keep it on edge — straight is not a strength — but I was able to open it up as fast as I’m comfortable. (Bear in mind, this is not exactly slow but also not as fast some of my ski buddies; I weigh about 140, so bigger and/or faster skiers will definitely want the HP, if not straight to an MX.) In a variety of off-piste terrain, including open bowls and trees, the FX85 was obedient and right at home.

Yesterday we went to Snowmass, which had reported a couple inches of new snow but on top of consistent snowfall over the past week, and a few more inches fell during the day. Normally I would ski something a little longer and wider in such conditions, but I was curious and took the FX85. Groomers were miles of wide soft cord, so … yeah, that’s not really a test because 2x4s work there. But we found plenty of untracked and lightly tracked but deep snow to work with in the trees and playgrounds around Snowmass. It took me a few runs in the morning to get it all figured out, but by the afternoon, I felt confident again.

Comparison with MX83: Not surprisingly, the FX retains much of the smooth, damp feeling of the MX, but not quite the same stability. It takes a touch longer to hook up and doesn’t track as powerfully, but it holds its own. While I was comfortable skiing at a good clip on the FX, the MX urges me to ski even faster than I really want to. The biggest difference, though, is in unconsolidated snow in trees, which is where I pretty much refuse to ski the MX83. The MX seeks the bottom — which is great, when there is a bottom. The FX is much easier to deal with at slow speeds, and the early rise tip helps avoid surprises underneath the snow.

Both my MX83 and FX85 are 173s. Yes, the FX skis a little shorter, but not that much. I want it to be a Western no-new-snow, off-piste-biased ski, which in Colorado means lots of bumps, chalky steeps, and tracked-out trees. After yesterday, I could see this as the narrow half of a Western two-ski quiver, or maybe even the elusive one-ski quiver, but for either of those, I would get the 181.
  • Who is it for? Anyone who wants a versatile ski with off-piste bias; lighter finesse skiers should love it, as will larger aspiring skiers.
  • Who is it not for? Big and/or fast dudes who want to straightline stuff.
  • Insider tip: The good-looking combination of ski and black chrome binding has elicited a few ooh’s and aah’s from ski geeks.

Ron

Seeking the next best ski
SkiTalk Tester
Great review. Can you comment on how the tail functions especially now that i has some early rise

Ron

SkiTalk Tester
Seriously though i liove my fx84. I wish it was a bit longer than the 176. I dont want any substantial tail rocker;

Bobalooski

Getting off the lift
Inactive
After yesterday, I could see this as narrow half of a Western two-ski quiver, or maybe even the elusive one-ski quiver, but for either of those, I would get the 181.

Why would you go longer here, Susan?

TS
S

SBrown

Skier
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
I tend to like a little longer ski for 3D snow... 177-180ish but not terribly stiff. I skied the 181 FX95 at SIA, as well, and it might have been my favorite all week. I think the FX85 is plenty quick that a little more length would not affect that too much but it would benefit performance in deeper snow.

Ron

SkiTalk Tester
I tend to like a little longer ski for 3D snow... 177-180ish but not terribly stiff. I skied the 181 FX95 at SIA, as well, and it might have been my favorite all week. I think the FX85 is plenty quick that a little more length would not affect that too much but it would benefit performance in deeper snow.

that's what I am thinking.

Bobalooski

Getting off the lift
Inactive
Was thinking the same, Susan. I've been skiing the 173 and 181 FX95hp and frankly like 'em both for my 5'8" 152. Tough decision!

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
I am wanting a mid-to-high 80's width all mountain ski (not for powder, unless it's less than maybe 6" of it) but something to give me more confidence in crud and overall off-piste conditions because I am skiing there more and more, but the Sambas are maybe a tad much for me in those conditions. I LOVE my Kastle LX82's but not so much in crud. These might be on my radar, and of course, I'd have to wait until I could find a pair on deep discount.
Great review! Thanks for writing it.

Ron

SkiTalk Tester
@AmyPJ that 85 could be the ticket for sure. I am reallly leaning that way myself as I am totally satisfied with the older FX84. I am not looking for anything different really, the extra length is really what I am after.

@dawgcatching can you comment on the difference in "feel" between the FX 84 with 2 sheets of metal vs. the Non-metal version and the hp?

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
@AmyPJ that 85 could be the ticket for sure. I am reallly leaning that way myself as I am totally satisfied with the older FX84. I am not looking for anything different really, the extra length is really what I am after.

@dawgcatching can you comment on the difference in "feel" between the FX 84 with 2 sheets of metal vs. the Non-metal version and the hp?
Yeah, I think the addition of a bit of rocker will make a big difference. I'll have to do a little more research. I love the LX82's and was so fearful of the two sheets of metal. Turns, out I LIKE that smoothness and predictability it provides.

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
@AmyPJ the regular fx85 is wood, no metal
I was just reading that. Sounds like they are still smooth, though. Need to decide if I want to go wider, since this is going to end up being my daily driver ski, I think, and this winter has been rather wonderful :yahoo:

WadeHoliday

Out on the slopes
SkiTalk Tester
you don't think about tail... I thought we all did!
this may be out of place, but it does comment on the magic of the Kastle FX tail design IMO. don't want to become a hijacker on this new site...

I have always thought I was a straight, square tail guy, until I found this FX (95 in my case), but may get 85 too...
I spent 5 yrs on the MX 98 and got along really well with it, it had the most clean of tails...
Screen Shot 2016-01-09 at 8.08.00 AM.png

FX pic on headwall...

Dawg and I were writing about our comparisons of FX vs motive 95, and while it's far from a full review, here's what I wrote today..

"I skied them both back to back today at mt rose, as well as scale again.

The FX is just so much easier. Both motive and scale want to follow their line (both are quite sharp, too), and I have to work to get them to drift, while FX will hook up or drift at will, maybe it's default is driftier (if that's a word), but because of that it's far more friendly to keep in the fall line, bump line, or wherever line I choose off piste. Different turn on the 2 others, more carved, yes, but also release is less relaxed. I skied them in soft bumps backside, (bachelor steep, little steeper then outback), then chutes (yellow jacket) steep, some big bumps, scraped, and some soft, then a mix of groomer and more moderate bumps back to car.

in the moderate bumps, the FX was more playful, not as strong, definitely looser then both others, but zero moments where I couldn't put the ski exactly where i wanted. others were more linear, liked to stay on edge longer, and not drift to the next bump, but liked the longer turns.

first 1/4 of the chute, fall you slide a long ways area, FX is so much more confident inspiring. so solid on edge, but so easy to release and drift when you want. The others I ski nervous there, w/ the fx I relax waay more.

yes, it's stiffer under foot, but that works well for that platform in steeps and quick hit on the face of the bump.

access trail carving, scale best, motive 2, fx 3. that is just to get to the next real skiing for me, so less important to me then someone who lives for prepared snow...

I like it!"

Anyway, I think the tail design is Magic, and idealistically, I hate it. Just hate to be wrong, but man does it work so well in 3D snow, especially where the hill is real, (where if you fall, you are falling down the hill and accelerating, not down to the snow and slowing down).

FX new design is just so friendly, while being solid and trustworthy.

cheers,
Holiday

Erik Timmerman

Instructor
Sometimes I really wonder about the tunes on the demo skis. I skied the FX95 HP last year at Stratton and all I could do was skid those things. I was left with the conclusion that Kastle had ruined the FX skis. For all I know, maybe it was just the Kastle rep that ruined one pair of FX95s. I'll have to try these skis again, I really got along well with the 94s and the 84s.

WadeHoliday

Out on the slopes
SkiTalk Tester
Definitely "driftier", then old FX, but more solid under foot.
what I like is how the 2 layers of metal create that solid platform, there is a sweet spot to get it to carve too.

stock tune was a bit too loose, I touched up the side edge myself to get it to have a bit more bite.

cheers,
Wade

Reactions: Ron

SkiNurse

Spontaneous Christy
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter

coskigirl

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
To be honest, I don't think about tail as much as you guys do. But I'll ponder and get back to you. ;)

Glad I'm not the only one.

I did a double take when I saw the length 173 for you.

Sponsor

Staff online