• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Accessories Review: Lab Austere Truck Roll-Up Kit

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
fullsizeoutput_7300.jpeg

Many outdoor enthusiasts need to transport their toys to and from trailheads and other playgrounds; quite often -- particularly with cyclists -- they have tools to consider as well.

Lab Austere is well aware of the cyclist's plight and have created a roll-up toolkit case called the Trunk Tool Kit. Roll-up designs have been around in one way or another; I recall a variation of those in European cars in years past when you wouldn’t dare leave the garage without tools because you might not make it home.
fullsizeoutput_72fb.jpeg

The Lab Austere Trunk Tool Kit is not cycling-specific; the website shows that it will work with ski tuning tools, but without spots for irons, rotobrushes, and drills, it could be limiting for some travel tuners. For bikes, though, it will hold a good amount of what one might travel with and leave in the trunk ... as the name suggests. I do like the fact that I can keep all tools together not only for traveling but also for accessibility when wrenching at home in easily visible pockets.

fullsizeoutput_7303.jpeg fullsizeoutput_7304.jpeg nefI8osIRPGsxrrV8cgkaw.jpg

What Is Good

The case is well designed with solid straps and snaps. It rolls up with ease; properly placed grommets along with a cover that flips out of the way enable it to be hung near or under a workbench when being used. When not in use, it rolls up nicely and fits well into most tool chest drawers. The carrying handle is stout and well balanced, so even when full, the kit is comfortable to carry.

What Is Missing

Lab Austere suggests that you might have two or three kits for different activities like cycling, skiing, and climbing. In that case, it would be nice to have a block on the outside of the kit where you could write your name and maybe phone number (we all have left something at a trailhead) and a spot to write which sport the kit is for: “cycling” or “skiing” and so on; that way you don’t have to open up a kit each time to see what is in it. Something small, but easily added when the case goes to the printer for the logo.​
  • Who is it for? Someone who likes to keep their core set of tools easily accessible and mobile.
  • Who is it not for? Someone who needs everything within reach at every moment; this is a medium-size kit to work for most people most of the time, not the unicorn that works for all the people, all of the time.
  • Insider tip: When the cover flap is opened, you can stand on it to change your shoes so you aren’t standing in the dirt or on hot or wet pavement.

Idahosnow

Putting on skis
Skier
These are built very well. I also highly recommend Lab Austere's hip pack. I have a variety of bike packs but almost always grab my Lab Austere. It just disappears when I'm riding.

Sponsor

Staff online

• Dwight
    Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid