• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Individual Review Review: Smith Chromapop Storm Lenses

MattD

aka Hobbes429
Skier
The Storm lens is excellent. I've found it better for me than the Sensor Mirror, including night skiing under not great light conditions. I never found myself wanting the lens to be brighter.

Thanks for the notes on the Storm lens. I am definitely going to try these for my Smith IO goggles ... if they ever get them back in stock!

Yo Momma

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Another vote for switching from Smith blue sensor mirrors to "StormPops". Bought the new lens for some older Prophecy goggles (in my avatar pic). Lovin' the new StormPops! Wanted to switch back just to check but nah........ much better clarity ........... almost too clear! A little awkward at first........ actually made me slow down.....like I had too much information for my brain to process!

Scruffy

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I bought my wife Smith ChromoPop I/O goggles with Storm and Sun lens. I put the Storm lens in for her as she has lots of trouble with low light conditions. She has various eye ailments that complicate the matter. She immediately saw a difference in the ability to see the surface and contours of the snow in challenging light. She has tried and purchased many a goggles that were purported to be the best for low light, but these CromoPops, so far, have been the best.

She lent them to a female friend who has her own challenges with seeing through goggles ( also various lenses and makes and models tried ) to the point that she usually skis with her goggles off in low light - which no one who skis with her can understand, since to anyone else, the wind produced tears and would seem to make it harder to see than any fault of the goggle lens - but that that's what gets her through. She took a couple of runs with my wife's CromoPop Storms and she kept the goggles on, which is a testament right there. She asked how much they cost, and when I told her she stated: "Worth every penny". She bought a pair

I got a chance to try them last weekend myself in various conditions, from fog, to low light, to sun. I usually do not have a problem seeing in all but the foggiest of days. No matter what the lenses, or the conditions, I usually see the snow surface fine enough to ski uncompromised. With the ChromoPop, I saw a difference in clarity and the ability to see the nuances of the snow surface. I bought myself a pair even though I wasn't in the market for new goggles.

See is believing, apparently.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
almost too clear! A little awkward at first........ actually made me slow down.....like I had too much information for my brain to process!
That made me :roflmao:
Perhaps your brain needs a POP!

laine

I ski like a girl. Fast.
Skier

Yo Momma

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Bringing this back up.

I'm assuming this is a review for the regular Chromapop Storm Lens. It looks like they now have one called a Chromapop Storm Yellow Lens:
http://www.smithoptics.com/us/Root/Men's/Accessories/Lenses/I-OS-Replacement-Lenses/p/IS7CPY2

Anyone have any experience with the yellow lens?

Thanks!

Edit: Don't really know why I/O S replacement lenses fall under the "Men's" category.
Nice find............. and smart move by Smith 65% VLT up from 50% on the current Storm........

laine

I ski like a girl. Fast.
Skier
Nice find............. and smart move by Smith 65% VLT up from 50% on the current Storm........

Yeah, that's why they seem appealing. Also, the current Smith low-light lens I have has a rose tint and I think yellow or gold would be better.

Yo Momma

Making fresh tracks
Skier
The ONLY issue is that...just not a fan of Yellow tint other than maybe night skiing (rare up here Brrrrrrr!!!!) if no clear lens available .......... would sacrifice 5% VLT for some sort of persimmon or rose..........

TheArchitect

Working to improve all the time
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Bringing this back up.

I'm assuming this is a review for the regular Chromapop Storm Lens. It looks like they now have one called a Chromapop Storm Yellow Lens:
http://www.smithoptics.com/us/Root/Men's/Accessories/Lenses/I-OS-Replacement-Lenses/p/IS7CPY2

Anyone have any experience with the yellow lens?

Thanks!

Edit: Don't really know why I/O S replacement lenses fall under the "Men's" category.

I switched to the Yellow Sensor Mirror last season and it was an improvement over my Blue Sensor Mirror. If the Chromapop is an improvement over the YSM I'll buy one, assuming they add it to the I/OX line. It's not listed yet but I expect they will.

What I found with the switch from blue to yellow was an increase in contrast. It wasn't a massive increase but just enough to make it so I could see more definition in the snow and was more comfortable at higher speeds during a storm. I'm not a huge fan of yellow lenses but I make an exception for snowy days.

graham418

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I see the original Chromapop Storm is now a Chromapop Rose Flash. How do they differ , Rose and Yellow? Has anyone tried them both?

Sponsor

Staff online

• Dwight
    Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid