• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Rewrite the Skier's Responsibility Code

4ster

Just because you can doesn’t mean you should!
Instructor
this is a sad story- a few yrs ago i was staying at a Rutland hotel, adult nastar league skiers were staying there too- first morning at breakfast everyone all happy and pumped up for training, the next morning the tone was somber- all visibly upset- i asked what happened. Told that one of the group was done skiing and going down bunny buster when she was hit from behind by a snowboard instructor. he did stop- she got up shaken and skied to base and went to hotel, was bruised and hurt, a bit later she complained of head ache and then went down fast and hard. Emt's called- she was airlifted to Dartmouth with severe brain bleed- she was wearing a helmet- Sadly she died- I have no idea if the guy that hit her has any clue she died-how horrible to go out to have fun and get killed, sadly it is a reality of our sport.

I think everyone should report Incidents to the Mt or stay until a patrol person can at least write up the incident. with the information they can monitor and hopefully make changes via 'slow zones', more signage or other measures in danger zones- Perhaps cameras could/should be in High incident areas? My Dad was early ski patrol- at Royal they had a cork board that every incident got a pin/flag so they could see the danger zones- they used the info to make the mt safer. trees were cut back for better sight for skiers at cross overs- slow signs placed in the middle of the trail and trail crossing signs. Perhaps having an online map of collisions would wake people up? Or at least raise awareness?
My sister-in-law had a very similar experience except she survived. We think she was actually stopped near the bottom off to the side of the run when a snowboarder blindsided her. Apparently the snowboarder stopped briefly but my sister-in-law really didn’t know what had happened as she was probably briefly unconscious. The culprits were gone by the time my brother arrived and all my sister-in-law knew was that she had a sore hip.
They took her to the hospital to get checked out when my brother noticed that her helmet had been smashed.
Long story short, they rushed her to the head trauma center at Renown hospital in Reno where a CAT scan revealed bleeding on the brain. She remained under observation until it seemed OK to release her. A lifelong skier, she has never been the same. She still skis occasionally but no longer has the passion that she once had. Not sure if it is related but she also needed a hip replacement a few years after this incident.

SkiBam

Putting on skis
Skier
Oh yeah I knew that but the mechanics and presentation of the brain injury seem almost identical. It's a reminder that ski slopes are a warzone and any one of us can be taken out by a stray bullet. With that in mind why turn excessively on a busy slope if it just increases your time exposed to danger?
Except it wasn't particularly busy and these were very small "curves". It was definitely not "excessive" turning. He truly had nothing to complain about. I only mention this as I thought his description was so amusing. Believe me, I'm very wary on the slopes and try to avoid busy ones when I can. And am very careful about my turns, where I'm going, etc. In fact, as I age I fear I might be getting too cautious and worried - to the point it's sometimes becoming less fun. Oh dear.

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter

David

"Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati"
Skier
Except Natasha Richardson wasn't hit. She was in a lesson on a green run when she fell (helmetless) and I guess hit her head. Claimed to be ok despite the fact the instructor wanted her to get help or be seen or something. I understand she refused any help, then later collapsed and was rushed to hospital. I think this case did more to promote helmet wearing than anything else I've heard of.
Who of us hasn't hit our mellon hard enough to see stars or be out cold and then get up go back at it without even a second thought? I'm surprised I'm still alive!

Wait...what were we talking about?

Racetiger

Getting on the lift
Skier
Safety is important to me and would like to see the safety code reflect the danger that those like me are more likely to confront while skiing. Accordingly, here is my new suggested skier safety code:

1. Do not share your expertise in handling ski slope bear attacks with snowflakes that think they know more than you. You will get a headache.

2. Do not brandish your concealed firearm on the chair lift on the busier days. You never know what kind of whako you will be sharing the chair with.

3. Do not pretend you are hearing impaired just because you want to listen to your headphones uninterrupted. Respect the disability and just be rude.

4. Do not slap a good buddy hard on the back without the safety bar down. If you just met them … eh, they probably should have had the bar down. Lesson learned.

5. Do not tell your instructor that his instructions are opposite from your last instructor with a higher cert. Or, whisper to other students in a lesson that your last instructor with a higher cert told you the opposite instructions and that if they secretly reverse everything that this teacher says, they will get it right. If you are bored, however … eh.

6. Do not ski slowly after one too many at lunch, as it will increase the amount of time that you could get caught skiing drunk. In this condition, traveling twice your normal speed will cut your chances in half.

7. Do not call in a bomb threat just because the lift line is too long. Eventually, they will catch on to you, forcing you to up the ante every time and until an FBI, US Homeland Security, and INTERPOL task force come knocking at your door at 3:24 in the morning and then don’t even let you smoke a cigarette.

8. Do not pass anything important to someone on the chairlift with cold fingers. Especially if it is your last one. Ugh! … what a jerk.

9. Do not call ski patrol to report out of control skiers on one side of the mountain just so you can ski footloose and fancy free on the other side. If you do that, you might need ski patrol.

10. Do not discretely pass a note to the liftie in the booth informing them that they are being robbed. At that pay, they probably already know.

Scruffy

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
this is a sad story- a few yrs ago i was staying at a Rutland hotel, adult nastar league skiers were staying there too- first morning at breakfast everyone all happy and pumped up for training, the next morning the tone was somber- all visibly upset- i asked what happened. Told that one of the group was done skiing and going down bunny buster when she was hit from behind by a snowboard instructor. he did stop- she got up shaken and skied to base and went to hotel, was bruised and hurt, a bit later she complained of head ache and then went down fast and hard. Emt's called- she was airlifted to Dartmouth with severe brain bleed- she was wearing a helmet- Sadly she died- I have no idea if the guy that hit her has any clue she died-how horrible to go out to have fun and get killed, sadly it is a reality of our sport.
Wow, that hits close to home; she was a friend of mine. Very sad. I was skiing Killignton that week, but I had chosen not to participate in the race training week. I don't believe the story ever made the news.

Thanks for posting this, Mel, made me thing of her again.

ADKmel

Skiing the powder
Skier
Wow, that hits close to home; she was a friend of mine. Very sad. I was skiing Killignton that week, but I had chosen not to participate in the race training week. I don't believe the story ever made the news.

Thanks for posting this, Mel, made me thing of her again.
I'm sorry for your loss-

ADKmel

Skiing the powder
Skier
Warzone. I like that term. It describes much of my New England skiing in the last few years.

I call it Combat skiing- it's why I only went to Okemo 3x this past winter- it was a total warzone and combat skiing- and I was there midweek! for my 5hr drive for barely 2hr skiing all the while risking my life, nope.

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
4. Overtaking A skier or snowboarder may overtake another skier or snowboarder above or below and to the right or to the left provided that he leaves enough space for the overtaken skier or snowboarder to make any voluntary or involuntary movement.
We all can see the skiers/boarders who aren't comfortable. They move stiffly, locked up. We can tell the ones who *think* they are comfortable but, really, aren't. I leave a LARGE zone around those folks. They usually go in a straight line until they don't then all bets are off. Many, many times I just stay behind them until they turn off or tip over. No use in startling them and making things worse for both of you.

ADKmel

Skiing the powder
Skier
We all can see the skiers/boarders who aren't comfortable. They move stiffly, locked up. We can tell the ones who *think* they are comfortable but, really, aren't. I leave a LARGE zone around those folks. They usually go in a straight line until they don't then all bets are off. Many, many times I just stay behind them until they turn off or tip over. No use in startling them and making things worse for both of you.

For sure- there are people I know how they ski (dangerously IMO) I always keep them in front of me- and I warn new friends joining us :)

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I still Yell ON YOUR LEFT (or right) and often have to yell "THE OTHER LEFT (or right)
Funny.

The problem with this - same on bikes - is that when you're still far enough away for it not to be too late, people are unlikely to be able to hear and absorb your actual words. Instead, as often as not they'll just turn their head, wondering "why is there shouting?" (Raises hand as a poor hearer, especially with a helmet on.) This is especially true of people who are unaware of the "On your x !" convention. In the process they'll naturally turn into your path, producing the opposite outcome of what you wanted.

On a bike, the loud but cheerful bell solves the problem better than voice because everyone knows that a bell has a single meaning: "Watch out! Coming up!"

François Pugh

Skiing the powder
Skier
Great White North (Eastern side currently)
Getting by slower skiers on narrow trails is a problem.

As I get older and more patient, I now have no problem just shutting it down and waiting until the next run to open it up.

Too bad there isn't a system where one can "request" (not demand) to be let by safely.
Kind of like flashing headlights when behind someone in the passing lane, comes to mind, although some folks abuse that or misinterpret it, and it can escalate from a polite request to road rage.

Lack of rear-view mirrors is a problem. That, combined with poor hearing makes it a hard problem to solve.

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Yeah, it is a pet peeve on mine and sometimes I can be a [polite]curmudgeon[/polite] about but its not a problem until its a problem and then it is usually a big problem.
I've been in clumps when you reminded us not to block the trail. And of course you were right, and we needed reminding. It is a bit embarrassing how often we forget.

LiquidFeet

instructor
Instructor
Funny.

The problem with this - same on bikes - is that when you're still far enough away for it not to be too late, people are unlikely to be able to hear and absorb your actual words. Instead, as often as not they'll just turn their head, wondering "why is there shouting?" (Raises hand as a poor hearer, especially with a helmet on.) This is especially true of people who are unaware of the "On your x !" convention. In the process they'll naturally turn into your path, producing the opposite outcome of what you wanted.

On a bike, the loud but cheerful bell solves the problem better than voice because everyone knows that a bell has a single meaning: "Watch out! Coming up!"
We need the ski pole manufacturers to put a loud but cheerful bell on one pole grip.
Come to think of it, I think I'll put bells on my poles this summer.
Why Use A Bike Bell - 5 Of The Best - I Love Bicycling

David

"Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati"
Skier
Funny.

So what I'm reading is we should screw a bike bell on top of a ski pole! Ringy dingy...lol

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Or simply tap the dude on the side of the helmet with your pole as you approach. :ogcool:

Seldomski

All words are made up
Skier
I still Yell ON YOUR LEFT (or right) and often have to yell "THE OTHER LEFT (or right)
I gave up on this a while back. I click the poles together repeatedly as I pass to give others an indication that I am behind and then passing on one side. Though this is generally on a cat track where I pass like this. Out on the slopes, if they can hear me, I am already too close for safety.

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I click the poles together repeatedly as I pass to give others an indication that I am behind and then passing on one side. Though this is generally on a cat track where I pass like this.

Used to worked real well with aluminum poles. Not so much with the new fangled composite pole nowadays.

Sponsor

Staff online