• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Non Region Specific RFID is not created equally

MissySki

Rogue Assassin of Bad Puns.
Ski Diva Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
I have actually had the gate catch my leg, but usually if that happens it’s because the sensor read my pass earlier than expected and there was not enough room to move all the way through the gate.

MissySki

Rogue Assassin of Bad Puns.
Ski Diva Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Rfid gates can have big line problems. The usual scenario is a small group has one person who gets stuck/can’t go through. They then block the entire access to the lift, and things back up quickly. This can happen with even one person.

This drives me crazy! If it happens in front of me I am definitely the person encouraging the rest of the group to go on and not hold up the line. There is no need to block the whole line or try and move out of line where there is no space at that point.. it WILL be okay to meet back up at the top. Unless it’s a kid stuck, keep it moving. The person who got stuck will catch up and have to ride another chair. Not a big deal and not worth having empty chairs go up on a busy day. Also, the lifties should be watching more closely and helping quicker in those cases to keep things moving.. sometimes they are on top of it, sometimes not..

TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Pally Valley has turn stiles at the Funi
Huh... I've been through there don't remember turnstiles. But then again, you're also carrying your skis at the point, so it's a little different than trying to ski through one.

Wendy

Resurrecting the Oxford comma
Admin
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
With the announcement that some resorts are getting new RFID systems this coming season I've been thinking about the differences in RFID gates.

NEW RFID ACCESS:

We've spent some time with the good folks at Axess Americas RFID during some of our industry travel, which I've found fascinating as I listen to what goes into developing a good RFID system.
View attachment 213732
Our home mountain Mt Rose uses Axess RFID gates which work pretty darn well unless human error is factored in with the pass/lift ticket being in a pocket with another RFID card of some sort or with your phone.

Mammoth also uses Axess RFID and works much the same as Mt Rose.

When at Palisades Tahoe I feel like I have to nearly dry hump the RFID gates to get my pass to work. Not sure what brand their gates are but I'd like to see them change to Axess.

Vail Resorts rip out RFID gates when they buy a resort in favor of their hand held scanners because its their belief that it ads a personal touch with face to face contact with an employee.

What does your home mountain use and what is your experience with RFID?
Blue Mountain in PA had pretty good RFID operation. There was the occasion blip but I didn't have to hump the gate in order to get in. :)

My new home mountain, Ski Santa Fe, announced, when they sent me my pass, that they were implementing RFID passes this year, as @Jerez noted above. However, since I'm not familiar yet with the mountain, I'm not sure how it will change things. Maybe @Jerez knows.

Lauren

AKA elemmac
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
My favorite place to carry a pass in in a sleeve so I can just wave my arm by the sensor.
However some of my jackets don't make that easy or even possible, so I put it in my chest or hip pocket which is when I rubbing my boob on the sensor or dry humping it to pass through the gate.
This spring when I was wearing just a sweatshirt, I used my back butt pocket when snowboarding...it actually worked really well; while keeping it interesting for onlookers when it didn't.

Last edited:

pchewn

Skiing the powder
Skier
This is the RFID gate system used at Mt Hood Meadows is "FreeMotion". It is a 2-prong turnstile type.

You WILL get caught/bumped if you try to advance before the detector releases the turnstile.

There is a slight (too long) delay between presenting the pass, the light turning green, the beep going off, and then the turnstile releasing. There is also the (not long enough) time for it to advance into the "prevent next person" position.

So, for me the best approach is to put the RFID pass into my glove. Approach the gate with arm extended. Allow arm to retract in coordination with body moving forward to allow the gloved hand with RFID pass to loiter at the gate sensor while the body keeps moving toward gate. Watch for the green light. Listen for the beep. If all goes well, continue through the gate. If not, use gloved hand to help stop body forward motion.

When all is working right, it is a slow-motion coordinated dance where you effortlessly and continuously move forward through the gate. When things go wrong it is a sudden stop with the turnstile bar at crotch level.

freemotion-gate-full-01-2a.jpg

James

Out There
Instructor
^ looks like some European ones. Horrible.

Also, the lifties should be watching more closely and helping quicker in those cases to keep things moving.. sometimes they are on top of it, sometimes not..
I think this is the delusion about gates. You can’t get rid of humans altogether. Someone needs to get the problem person through and check them out in the pull over space.
Are there fewer humans than rfid hand scanners? Maybe, maybe not.

wooglin

Making fresh tracks
Skier
^ looks like some European ones. Horrible.

I think this is the delusion about gates. You can’t get rid of humans altogether. Someone needs to get the problem person through and check them out in the pull over space.
Are there fewer humans than rfid hand scanners? Maybe, maybe not.
And where I ski, someone needs to manage the corral. And some lifties are better at it than others.

PinnacleJim

Out on the slopes
Skier

ThePeople'sLifty

Mountain Warrior
Skier
Rfid gates can have big line problems. The usual scenario is a small group has one person who gets stuck/can’t go through. They then block the entire access to the lift, and things back up quickly. This can happen with even one person.

The advantage to the gate system for the resort is that everytime you go through it takes a photo. So, if suddenly in the afternoon you have completely different clothes, you may get checked. That large pad they’re carrying can bring up a lot of info, and pictures of you.

I’ve been told by one of our main lifties that spouses are the biggest group caught for misuse of passes for epic. Aka theft. They’ll buy one and share.

The turnstiles are all over europe and they suck. It can be quite easy to get entangled in one. Or it traps your leg because you can’t move through immediately. You best not be squemish about your top sheets. At times it’s near impossible to not stand on the tails of the person in front of you.

They were way ahead on passes years ago. I remember in 1980 in Tignes our tickets had a magnetic strip. On a poma in the middle of somewhere, no lifty apparent, we just swiped it, got in, and somehow got a pole.
Be weary of use if other people’s passes, I can tell you that big sky (a boyne resort) fines the user of the pass the owner of the pass and makes the user of the pass buy a ticket for that day and until all three of those are satisfied you will be banned from the mountain. With that said sugar loaf Sunday river loon and pleasant will probably adopt the same policy’s. Our team is on the fence about it all but in the end corporate will always win. I work Aurora so no gates out that way but without saying to much and shooting myself the foot they WILL be gunning for people using other peoples passes this year, it is technically theft and by law could be considered a class d or c crime depending on the circumstances.
have fun be safe pay your dues and let us help make your memories magical!

Bolder

Out on the slopes
Skier
Mt Hood Meadows has the RFID gates. I put my pass card in the pocket on my glove. This way I don't have to "dry hump" the scanner. I just wave my hand in front of the scanner.

Timberline and Skibowl still do the barcode-read of tickets/passes by the lift-line attendant.

I wish the ski areas (or skiers) would solve the problem of not fully loading the chairs. A 4-person chair should never be going up with only 3 people when there is any lift-line at all.
"Dry hump" the scanner! Exactly.

fatbob

Not responding
Skier
Be weary of use if other people’s passes, I can tell you that big sky (a boyne resort) fines the user of the pass the owner of the pass and makes the user of the pass buy a ticket for that day and until all three of those are satisfied you will be banned from the mountain. With that said sugar loaf Sunday river loon and pleasant will probably adopt the same policy’s. Our team is on the fence about it all but in the end corporate will always win. I work Aurora so no gates out that way but without saying to much and shooting myself the foot they WILL be gunning for people using other peoples passes this year, it is technically theft and by law could be considered a class d or c crime depending on the circumstances.
have fun be safe pay your dues and let us help make your memories magical!
Just interested on what happens if you pick up a partner or housemate's pass by mistake. Same zero tolerance or do you get mercy if they can look up you're already a pass holder ( presumably after a check your pass isn't in use that day)?

ThePeople'sLifty

Mountain Warrior
Skier
Just interested on what happens if you pick up a partner or housemate's pass by mistake. Same zero tolerance or do you get mercy if they can look up you're already a pass holder ( presumably after a check your pass isn't in use that day)?
You will have to have your own pass. One of the main reasons they want everyone to have their own passes (aside from theft) because of the waiver. If you use someone else’s pass even if you have your own, and you get hurt the mountain could be held liable or the lift he could lose his job. I bagged three yesterday. One was a guy just being aggressive asshole scan his daughter through. We let him go because we have information once he came back down we lambasted him and had patrol make him feel really bad about what he did. I had another kid who lost his pass his buddy, tried to scare him through. And then there was a poor little girl I had to pull out of line who lost her pass and was using your mothers. that broke my heart. Needless to say at Sunday river we are pretty on top of it. We are very good at catching people, but we’re not gonna fine you. just make you get your own pass. Sunday river has added ticket booths to many locations, including a person at the Jordan 8 to help with any issues regarding passes.
Happy season!

Last edited:

pchewn

Skiing the powder
Skier

If I were running the ski area, this would not be an excuse. You don't "accidentally" pick up another helmet, or ski jacket, or skis, or boots, or long underwear--- Your pass is yours and other people have their own passes.

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
You don't "accidentally" pick up another helmet, or ski jacket, or skis, or boots, or long underwear
True, but it's much easier to accidentally pick up someone's pass. Or poles for that matter - since they are much less obviously different compared to the other things you mentioned. (And FWIW, there are many stories on here of people having their skis accidentally taken from the rack.)

Are you saying you'd be on favor of canceling/pulling someone's pass that they paid for and just don't have on them, if they accidentally used someone else's?

BLiP

Out on the slopes
Skier
Are you saying you'd be on favor of canceling/pulling someone's pass that they paid for and just don't have on them, if they accidentally used someone else's?
What would happen if you were pulled over while driving and you accidentally had some else’s license?

Like most issues in life, it probably depends on the circumstances. Act like a reasonable person and probably not much will happen. Act like an entitled jerk, your day may not end well.

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
What would happen if you were pulled over while driving and you accidentally had some else’s license?
Not a great analogy, as there are laws involved, whereas pass handling is completely up to the resort. That said, they wouldn't cancel my driver's license and keep me from driving for the season. And I think they'd look it up and see that you have a valid driver's license, and maybe ticket you, but most likely just give you a warning.

Seems silly to pull someone's pass for the season if they simply grabbed the wrong one off the table or something. The presumption here is that they HAVE a pass, and can be seen in the system - it's just not on them. I don't see why that's a real problem.

BLiP

Out on the slopes
Skier
I didn’t think anyone was saying that your pass would be pulled for the entire season. But you should be done for the day. Not the responsibility of the lifties to see if you have a pass in the system each time they scan your incorrect pass. Maybe if you go to the ticket window they would be able to print you a new pass, for a small fee. Again, it would probably depend on how you handle the situation.

Sponsor

Staff online