• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Non Region Specific RFID is not created equally

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier
Not a great analogy, as there are laws involved, whereas pass handling is completely up to the resort. That said, they wouldn't cancel my driver's license and keep me from driving for the season. And I think they'd look it up and see that you have a valid driver's license, and maybe ticket you, but most likely just give you a warning.

Seems silly to pull someone's pass for the season if they simply grabbed the wrong one off the table or something. The presumption here is that they HAVE a pass, and can be seen in the system - it's just not on them. I don't see why that's a real problem.
I would completely expect my day to be over if the pass was person specific and I had the wrong pass. I would consider it a favour if they let it slide. Next time I'd be a little more careful.

MissySki

Rogue Assassin of Bad Puns.
Ski Diva Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
I didn’t think anyone was saying that your pass would be pulled for the entire season. But you should be done for the day. Not the responsibility of the lifties to see if you have a pass in the system each time they scan your incorrect pass. Maybe if you go to the ticket window they would be able to print you a new pass, for a small fee. Again, it would probably depend on how you handle the situation.
I agree with this.. explain what happened and get out of line. It is not the liftie’s job to verify your claim, and certainly there isn’t a lot of room without backing up lines to stay there. Off to customer service to print a new pass for a fee, or you are done for the day.

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
For an Ikon pass, the first replacement is free. I believe subsequent replacements are $35 each.

TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
True, but it's much easier to accidentally pick up someone's pass. Or poles for that matter - since they are much less obviously different compared to the other things you mentioned. (And FWIW, there are many stories on here of people having their skis accidentally taken from the rack.)

Are you saying you'd be on favor of canceling/pulling someone's pass that they paid for and just don't have on them, if they accidentally used someone else's?
I could see us sitting at a table getting booted up, rallying for the day and picking up each others passes. But we'd be skiing together presumably and could share/swap back if/when caught.

On the other hand, if I forgot my pass I'd never consider using someone elses. They make it so easy to get a day ticket if you forget your pass at home.

DanoT

RVer-Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Sun Peaks B.C. in winter, Victoria B.C. in summer
My ski jacket has a small zippered pocket on the left forearm. ogsmile

Sun Peaks has a fixed grip quad chair with fairly close spacing on the chairs. After you go thru the RFID gate there is a second gate the opens up and all 4 people step onto a short conveyor belt, the chair coming around the bull wheel scoops everyone up before they run out of conveyor.

Lake Louise has this system as well. I am ok with it; I wonder what others think of it?

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
I didn’t think anyone was saying that your pass would be pulled for the entire season.

I did... but maybe I'm reading too much into @pchewn 's "not an excuse" comment. I was thinking he meant they should treat it the same as if you didn't buy a pass, and were just trying to use someone else's. (i.e. treat it as theft, rather than an accident).

But you should be done for the day. Not the responsibility of the lifties to see if you have a pass in the system each time they scan your incorrect pass.

I think even "done for the day" is WAY, WAY too extreme. I've had the wrong pass on me... in that case it was because I grabbed the wrong one out of my boot bag. Got out of line, went back inside, and straightened it out. Seems like that's what should always happen, if you have a pass.

I'm not suggesting you should be let up the lift. Of course, in my case, it was the wrong pass for the resort, so I couldn't get through the gate anyway. But I could definitely see being in a rush in the morning, and grabbing someone else's by accident. And if they're going to pull the person's pass that you used, they could certainly take a moment to see if you have a pass in your own name before doing that, and let you head back inside to take care of it in that case.

Last edited:

sparty

Out on the slopes
Skier
Given the number of times I've seen racers accidentally swap bibs, swapping passes--particularly ones that don't have a photo printed on them--seems fairly likely to happen at least occasionally, whether they were out at lunch time or just being grabbed from a bag or locker. I'd fully expect that it would be a situation where it takes a bit of time to clear up but doesn't result in anyone getting penalized, as it should be easy enough for a supervisor to verify that everyone involved does actually have a pass.

Of course, it does also help if your photo is current. I got pulled out of line a few years back because my pass has been printed with a previous photo that was in the system...from well over a decade earlier. Turns out 39-year-old me can't get away with skiing with 23-year-old me's pass photo.

TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
FWIW, I witnessed someone boldly steeling from Mt Rose last week.
I thought it was strange that a guy behind us had to scurry up ahead to be with one of his buddies. Other buddies were behind us. They were bantering back and forth and at one point he said, "Na Brah, I gotta go through with him(pointing to his other buddy)"

Phil got hung up behind these two guys who went through the same gate instead of side by side, but I got through my gate quickly and saw guy #1 scan his pass for himself then reach back and scan it again to let his buddy get through.

Needless to say, we reported it.

sparty

Out on the slopes
Skier
I thought it was strange that a guy behind us had to scurry up ahead to be with one of his buddies. Other buddies were behind us. They were bantering back and forth and at one point he said, "Na Brah, I gotta go through with him(pointing to his other buddy)"

Phil got hung up behind these two guys who went through the same gate instead of side by side, but I got through my gate quickly and saw guy #1 scan his pass for himself then reach back and scan it again to let his buddy get through.

I've seen ski instructors scan their passes to get the children they were teaching through, in a similar manner; I assumed it was probably easier than picking the kid up and waving them around at the gate until it read their pass. Uniform jackets with a pass pocket near the wrist work rather well for that.

Bill Miles

Old Man Groomer Zoomer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter

Good thing they weren't in the Mafia.

DanoT

RVer-Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Sun Peaks B.C. in winter, Victoria B.C. in summer
I got through my gate quickly and saw guy #1 scan his pass for himself then reach back and scan it again to let his buddy get through.
I'm pretty sure the scanner at Sun Peaks has some sort of timer that won't let you immediately successfully scan a second time. If they don't, then they should.

TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I'm pretty sure the scanner at Sun Peaks has some sort of timer that won't let you immediately successfully scan a second time. If they don't, then they should.
When asked about this they said they have to allow it to scan more than once because some times people (me included, so I'll use me as an example) slide in behind someone and it scans too quickly before the person in front of me can get forward enough for me (with skis on) can get through the gate so it will have to scan my pass again so the gate will open when I can get through.

MissySki

Rogue Assassin of Bad Puns.
Ski Diva Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
When asked about this they said they have to allow it to scan more than once because some times people (me included, so I'll use me as an example) slide in behind someone and it scans too quickly before the person in front of me can get forward enough for me (with skis on) can get through the gate so it will have to scan my pass again so the gate will open when I can get through.
I’ve had that happen too, makes sense.

4ster

Just because you can doesn’t mean you should!
Instructor
Snowbasin: Stop & show your pass “EVERY SINGLE TIME!” & the human ticket checker who has likely known you for years will scan a barcode on your pass. NO EXCEPTIONS! It is a slow inefficient, cumbersome, archaic process. Infrequent visitors & Ikoners don’t expect this & never have their pass out & ready. Empty chairs actually go by on busy days! Sacrilege!

Powder Mountain: RFID hand scanner which works without a hitch. Only used randomly on a few access lifts if there aren’t more pressing matters for the employee to attend to. Even then, after they scan once & usually remember, a nod becomes sufficient. Super efficient system & l bet they are rarely if ever ripped off.

Last edited:
TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Snowbasin: Stop & show your pass “EVERY SINGLE TIME!” & the human ticket checker who has likely known you for years will scan a barcode on your pass. NO EXCEPTIONS! It is a slow inefficient, cumbersome, archaic process. Infrequent visitors & Ikoners don’t expect this & never have their pass out & ready. Empty chairs actually go by on busy days! Sacrilege!

Powder Mountain: RFID hand scanner which works without a hitch. Only used randomly on a few access lifts if there aren’t more pressing matters for the employee to attend to. Even then, after they scan once & usually remember, a nod becomes sufficient. Super efficient system & l bet they are rarely if ever ripped off.
Pally Valley only has scanners on the lower mountain. I mean, once you're up, you're up.
Deer Valley has scanners everywhere, likely because they have so many homes and other lodging options all over the mountain

The situation I described is a very rare thing at Mt Rose. I do believe most people who frequent the area don't scam like that. At this point MR was the only place open and this group of dudes stuck out like a sore thumb....not the norm for Rose. (I didn't say all the other stuff they were doing in line, including language around families)

** When we ski Sun Valley and Snowbasin we have actually said...dude you can give me a marble bathroom that's fit for kings but you can't figure out the whole RFID scanner thing??

Last edited:

James

Out There
Instructor
What would happen if you were pulled over while driving and you accidentally had some else’s license?
As long as you’re not trying to pass it off as you, almost nothing would happen. If you had a valid license they can look up. You don’t absolutely have to have your license on you. Though rules are state by state.

TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
As long as you’re not trying to pass it off as you, almost nothing would happen. If you had a valid license they can look up. You don’t absolutely have to have your license on you. Though rules are state by state.
Recently I was prompted to "add these items to my apple wallet"
One of the items I could add is my driver's license. It had not occured to me to do that.

jt10000

步步高升
Skier
In practice that depends on other circumstances. The point of a lot of traffic stops - at least of certain types of drivers - is not about whether or not they can legally drive but rather to search cars, look for outstanding warrants, and other reasons.

Sponsor

Staff online

• Andy Mink
    Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
  • Dwight
    Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid