• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

RFID passes and and race suits

Johnny V.

Half Fast Hobby Racer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Our home hill switched to RFID passes this year. In past years I've always had my picture pass either in a elastic holder on my leg or in a goggle strap holder. With the RFID normally carried in the pants pocket or jacket holder (which are left at the start) what is anyone else doing to hold the RFID pass so they can get back on the lift after the run? Happy to steal an idea rather than coming up with something on my own. I'm thinking something on the left forearm under the suit.

ScotsSkier

USSA Coach
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
I usually just stick it under the sleeve of my race suit determines the suit and my thermal top. However you do need to remember it is there when pulling your suit off to avoid losing it! Other approach is to use a plastic pass holder on a lanyard under your suit

TS
Johnny V.

Johnny V.

Half Fast Hobby Racer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I usually just stick it under the sleeve of my race suit determines the suit and my thermal top. However you do need to remember it is there when pulling your suit off to avoid losing it! Other approach is to use a plastic pass holder on a lanyard under your suit
Thanks everyone!

The sleeve idea seems the best, since the readers are at arm/waist level although I may try to find a holder to put it in. The lanyard is a good idea except for having to fumble with unziping the suit to pull it out. I could use my helmet holder except not sure how far down you'd have to duck to get it to read.

One more thing to keep track of on race night.........................

davjr96

Getting off the lift
Skier
I used to put mine on the back of my hand under my gloves. Obviously depends on the size of your hand compared to the pass but for me with LEKI WC racing gloves I still had full range of movement. I rarely remove my left glove, generally only my right when I need to pull my phone or whatever so as long as you remember it is there then its not a huge hassle.

pchewn

Skiing the powder
Skier
Mine goes in the left glove. (My gloves have a small zippered pocket just right for a credit card, hand-warmer, or RFID card.) The sensors at the lift are on the left. I find I can come into the sensor gate with some speed/momentum, reach forward with the RFID gloved hand, activate the gate to open and ski forward without even stopping.

Seldomski

All words are made up
Skier
What about a wristband or armband wallet? I have not used these myself, so don't know if they are any good for this application.

Number of products out there with some sized just big enough for a credit card/ID badge.

S.H.

USSA Coach
Skier
Mine is on a lanyard around my neck, pass under the suit; in the lift line, I just lean forward with my chest towards the reader without unzipping and it seems to work fine.
This is my method for RFID passes as well (and the one I see most people using).

AlpsSkidad

Buying more gear
Skier
A lot of suits seem to have a super thin cloth pocket built into the left chest area next to the zipper, for the pass. If yours doesn’t have that, it seems like something super easy to replicate.

Karl B

USSA L100
Skier
When I raced at Steamboat a few years ago, I slipped it inside my suit, upper left chest. Never had an issue. I didn't use the glove or the forearm as I have tendency to get close and hit the gates occasionally.

hbear

Out on the slopes
Skier
Lots of suits I've seen have a small pocket at chest level for the RFID. those that don't as posted will stick in their sleeve as it's tight and doesn't fall out (especially given thumb straps on suit and then of course wearing gloves).

TS
Johnny V.

Johnny V.

Half Fast Hobby Racer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Thanks everyone for a bunch of good ideas. I'll try the lanyard first and see if it reads it-if not something in the arm or the suit (all before the first race! )

Occasionally someone would forget their pass wasn't on their arm or leg after the first run and the liftie would give them a hard time. Yeah, sure I'm freeskiing in this freakin' cold race suit in 20 degree weather just so I can look cool...............................

Last edited:

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Some folks stick it outside their helmets.

Or, I stick mine in the zippered ear flap of my helmet.

I think it's intended for ear buds or speakers or something else I don't understand why people would use while skiing.

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
A lot of suits seem to have a super thin cloth pocket built into the left chest area next to the zipper, for the pass. If yours doesn’t have that, it seems like something super easy to replicate.
Off-topic, but is that what the strange tiny pocket on the Ski-talk branded base layer/long-sleeve t-shirts are for?

Sponsor

Staff online