• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

RFID passes and and race suits

skifastDDS

AKA doublediamond223
Skier
I put it between the suit and my thermal, nestled on inner forearm between the arm guard straps. We have to scan at the start house in my night league, helps to be able to easily reach the reader without doing contortions. However, I’ve lost the pass a couple times when taking the suit off. A neck lanyard might be smarter but is harder to scan. It’s all a trade off.

James

Out There
Instructor
Or, I stick mine in the zippered ear flap of my helmet.

I think it's intended for ear buds or speakers or something else I don't understand why people would use while skiing.
So, are you wearing a speed suit when you fo that or just an Iggy Pop fan?

This thread is making me think those kids who tape it to the belly aren’t that weird.
Pro tip- You can use stretch wrap instead of tape

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
So, are you wearing a speed suit when you fo that or just an Iggy Pop fan?

No, I missed the race suit part. I love having it in my helmet, since it's the one completely consistent piece of ski gear I wear. Never forget a pass.

BLiP

Out on the slopes
Skier
Silly questions: If this is during a race, don’t you have jacket/pant runners? When I raced, other members of the team or assistants would shuttle jackets and pants down the hill so that you could put them on once you left the finish area. If its during training, why not wear training shorts? Riding the lift in a speed suit with no cover sounds like a miserable experience. I’ve never raced beer league or masters, so maybe things are different and there is less organized support.

James

Out There
Instructor
That wouldn’t even work for the kids.
No, good way to get stuck while no one cares since you couldn’t be bothered to deal with your pass.

BLiP

Out on the slopes
Skier
Eh, worked with the teams I was on (as a kid and young adult). To each their own.

S.H.

USSA Coach
Skier
True, but in my case i also use a full coverage helmet for slalom as well!. Have tried a few slalom helmets but prefer to stay with the full version
eewwww

yeah of course

i don't think any "slalom helmets" would have a pocket in the soft ear anyway. But you *can* use any ski helmet for SL.

TS
Johnny V.

Johnny V.

Half Fast Hobby Racer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Silly questions: If this is during a race, don’t you have jacket/pant runners? When I raced, other members of the team or assistants would shuttle jackets and pants down the hill so that you could put them on once you left the finish area. If its during training, why not wear training shorts? Riding the lift in a speed suit with no cover sounds like a miserable experience. I’ve never raced beer league or masters, so maybe things are different and there is less organized support.

If you're lucky it may happen but not to be counted on. It's just easier to put a couple of extra coats at the finish-most of the racers in our beer league and Masters races do that. On warmer days or nights, just ride in the suit-the main HSQ at our home hill is only a 4 1/2 minute ride. Of course I've miscalculated on occasion and ended up with chattering teeth at the top..................................

S.H.

USSA Coach
Skier
If you're lucky it may happen but not to be counted on. It's just easier to put a couple of extra coats at the finish-most of the racers in our beer league and Masters races do that. On warmer days or nights, just ride in the suit-the main HSQ at our home hill is only a 4 1/2 minute ride. Of course I've miscalculated on occasion and ended up with chattering teeth at the top..................................
after you don't have a whole coaching squad and parents to fill out your support team ... you're on your own a bit. Extra clothes at the finish is usually a good move.

I never trust that I'll be warm enough on the ride up. Something about being stuck on a lift for 1:30 in just a suit when I was a J4 ...

Last edited:

Snuckerpooks

Getting on the lift
Skier
Last year the large training mountain near my went over to RFID passes. If I'm training I always have a light vest on with 2 zippered pockets. One for my phone and one for my pass. Pass is always on the RFID sensor side. If it's a warm day, light long sleeve shirt with chest zipper pocket. Slip it in there.

Race day, athletes can skip the RFID reader.

Hasn't failed me yet.

Rudi Riet

AKA songfta AKA randomduck - a USSS coach, as well
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
I do mine in a little zippered pouch on a lanyard. It'll fit in a speed suit or wherever, and the RFID readers will read it with ease whether it's arch/gateway style or a liftie with a gun.

I wouldn't store on a wrist or in a glove because it can get damaged or cause damage to the wearer. I don't like them on the goggle strap holders (and those may run afoul of USSS and FIS rules for protrusions from a helmet if a start referee is really picky and/or pedantic). The lanyard+pouch keeps the pass out of harm's way and easily accessible.

TS
Johnny V.

Johnny V.

Half Fast Hobby Racer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Had our first beer league race last night. Used an old elastic/plastic pass wallet on my wrist under the suit-worked fine with no problems reading it. Just have to remember it's on there when changing in the locker room after the race.

sparty

Out on the slopes
Skier
Anyone tried putting it between the comfort liner and the EPS foam in the helmet? I assume you'd have to duck to get into range, but it seems like it could work (I don't know how much the EPS foam would interfere with the reading, though).

Also, concern above about switching on GS vs SL helmet applies, of course.

Rudi Riet

AKA songfta AKA randomduck - a USSS coach, as well
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Anyone tried putting it between the comfort liner and the EPS foam in the helmet? I assume you'd have to duck to get into range, but it seems like it could work (I don't know how much the EPS foam would interfere with the reading, though).

Also, concern above about switching on GS vs SL helmet applies, of course.

I'm wary about puttin anything in or on a helmet, especially one that is designed to a specific standard (e.g. the FIS RH2013 standard used in hard-ear racing helmets). The card can become a blade within the helmet, and as the liner is designed to a specific relationship with the EPS foam and other safety bits (e.g. MIPS) it's best to not introduce anything to the mix.

Just my $0.02, YMMV.

TS
Johnny V.

Johnny V.

Half Fast Hobby Racer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Just a quick update............my daughter bought me a fabric "runners wallet" wristband off Amazon. Used it Wed. night and it was perfect. Under the forearm pads of the suit between that and the baselayers-the readers had no problem picking it up.

Sponsor

Staff online