• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Ride the JOGLE!

RobSN

Out on the slopes
Skier
Well, times are tough. No skiing, and unlikely to be able to do too much bike touring, so I hope that maybe by posting my big bike ride from the top right of the UK to the bottom left, friends on Pugski/Pugcycle might get the same vicarious pleasure as I am getting reliving the ride. Many posts to come. If you don't like the first few, give up, 'cos it will be boring. JOGLE stands for John O'Groats Lands End, in that that the starting point is John O'Groats in the North East corner of Scotland, and the end point was Lands End in the South West corner of England. This is a sort of contemporaneous diary of a 1,015 mile bike ride taken by yours truly, the amazingly handsome suave sophisticated and erudite, not to say debonair, Rob, with his daughters, Hayley and Diane in June/July
Jogle_Map_approx.JPG
2017. Other characters are Rob's brother Tim, his wife Anne, his wife Susan, cousin Mike and wife Dee, and their daughter Lucy and husband Tim.

There are also trip reports from Hayley on YouTube entitled Jayley does Jogle, but strangely enough, MOI doesn't often appear.

TS
RobSN

RobSN

Out on the slopes
Skier
Day -1
Captain's blogle start date JOGLE -1, June 18, 2017. Time: 0600. Location: Rhu.

1584851080775.png
The bikes have been loaded onto the car and the luggage is almost ready to go in. Nonetheless there are already signs of mutiny by part of the crew. Diane has already purloined my handlebar bag announcing that there are things that are too heavy for me. While she may be right about the weight, it does mean that I no longer have a place to carry things like sunscreen and my collapsible teacup which would otherwise have been right at hand. Additionally I removed my passports from the handlebar bag as I am not letting Diane have responsibility for those.

Naturally the question arises as to why Diane is concerned about weight and of course I know the answer. When we cycled back from the train station yesterday, she was already doing about a 1 1/2 mile per hour pace faster than I would be comfortable cruising at all day. And when we got to Torwoodhill Road, which must have about a 15 to 20% grade at one stage, I had to stop half way up for a breather. The girls carried onto the top and looked back to find out where I was. I suspect they were concerned with my hill climbing ability and probably had a chat about taking over some of my luggage. However, what they don't seem to realize is that I was quite happy with my luggage even if it meant that I would ride just a little bit more slowly than they would. After all they both volunteered for the Jogle, and it was made quite clear that the Jogle speed would be my speed. Seemingly however and frankly as expected, these admonitions which were then accompanied by promises from both Hayley and Diane, have been forgotten.

Well it is now two hours before the off as Tim has requested that we will be ready engines running at 0800. We going to be taking a scenic route over the mountains to the east of Glencoe, and no doubt our knees will shake appropriately as we realize how far we will have to ride back.

TS
RobSN

RobSN

Out on the slopes
Skier
Captain's blogle, Jogle Day 0, June 19: Tim and Anne were good enough to drive us all up to John O'Groats. When we arrived we decided that we would ride to Dunnet Head which is the most northeasterly part of mainland Britain. By doing this we saved ourselves a few miles the next day. As it happens, thank goodness we did. We all had a surprisingly good meal at the hotel, the Seaview. Then it was time for a nervous sleep.

TS
RobSN

RobSN

Out on the slopes
Skier
1584851288080.png
1584851325536.png
The start, and Doom Ray.
Captain's blogle, Jogle Day 1, June 20: John O'Groats to Bettyhill. Jogle stats: 58.5 miles; 8:00 riding time; 3,383 ft ascent; 3,235 calories; 112/135 average/max heart rate.

We set off after breakfast into horrendous headwinds, which were good enough to last all day. I was so nervous at the beginning that I could hardly turn the pedals. It also became rapidly clear that the girls naturally cycled faster than me to such an extent that I could not stay with them all day. We did visit Duncansby Head, which is the most northerly part of mainland Britain. The weather, which had been overcast, cleared up and became sunny while we were there. We then cycled to Thurso, where we ate our lunch of sandwiches, chips and a juice in the carpark of the Co-op. After we set back out, we got about 10 miles along and therefore 40 miles into the ride and I said to the girls that they ought to ride on as I was going rather slowly but nonetheless I was confident that I could do another 20 miles. Famous last words. Shortly after the girls had gone on, I cycled past Doom Ray (really Dounreay, the fast breeder nuclear reactor being decommissioned) and met a cyclist coming the other way who had talked to the girls previously. He too was around my age and said that he didn't like riding with younger people as he would hold them back. Shortly after this, I hit the first big hill of the afternoon. Three quarters of the way up I took a breather in a parking area and had a cup of tea and a slice of cake. A lady cyclist came the other way and stopped to chat, which caused some social difficulty for me: should I share my cake, or should I keep it all to myself (which is what I rather wanted to do). In the end good manners won out and I shared some cake with Jane the lady cyclist. As I carried on, I hit hill after hill. In particular the one near Armadale was horrifying. I had taken to talking to myself and as I went up that hill I said to myself that I would have a cup of tea when I got to the top. As I got to what I thought was the top it took a right-hand bend and the road in fact carried on going up and was even steeper! No matter I said to myself I can still do this – I'll have my cup of tea at the top I can see. Regrettably, the gods clearly heard me, as the next left-hand turn repeated the problem of getting even steeper and carrying on. When I finally got to the top and had my cup of tea, my T-shirt was probably soaking wet. I had been going up this hill in my granny gear which only enabled me to go at a little bit over 2 miles per hour! I then carried on down into the next river valley and climbed up to a place near the Strathy Inn. The girls had been worried about me and had stopped and waited till I arrived. I said no trouble – only 10 miles to go. Yet there were another two very steep hills to climb, including the one at Bettyhill. I had actually forgotten that Bettyhill was on a hill (although there did seem to be a clue about it somewhere) and so when I finally got to the hotel, which of course was at the top of the hill, I don't think there was a great deal of gas left in the engine. I forgot to say – Hayley had announced when I saw her that her GPS was telling her that there was only another 50 feet of climbing to do – my estimate would be that it was at least 1,000 feet (964ft per ridewithgps.com). I wish Hayley had been right.

We had a very pleasant dinner at the hotel other than having to shade our eyes from the sun, which was streaming into the dining room from the north at 9 PM. Not surprising really as it was only one day before the summer solstice. For some reason we all had difficulty getting to sleep and I didn't get to sleep till after midnight. Hayley and Diane had decided that we should skip breakfast and have a packed lunch instead which we would eat as our breakfast while on the road. I was not particularly happy about this, but as it happened it was the right decision to have left early in the morning.

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
Riding in the UK has been of interest to me for a while. I look forward to reading your log.

TS
RobSN

RobSN

Out on the slopes
Skier
Captain's blogle, Jogle day 2, June 21: Bettyhill to Tain. Jogle stats: 71.4 miles; 8:59 riding time; 2,641 ft ascent; 3,025 calories; 102/123 average/max heart rate.

We left the hotel at about 7:30 AM and cycled through somewhat overcast early morning. We were going down Strathnaver (or Naver valley) which the girls had not seen before. It was truly spectacular! Again, the girls cycled on ahead by about midmorning. I finally met up with them again at Altnaharra, before the big climb of the day. I could not keep up with

Hayley filling up at Altnaharra
1584851528891.png
them so they cycled on ahead. Unfortunately, they took all the cake. When I finally finished up the hill and cycled past the Crask Inn, I got a text from Diane indicating that the girls were carrying on to Lairg where we would all meet for lunch. However, I had a problem. I was utterly out of calories and I had nothing to eat. Although the ride from the Crask Inn into Lairg is net downhill, I could hardly push the pedals round. Ultimately, I was sobbing and ready to call it quits. I texted the girls that I was 6 miles away but did not know how long it would take me as I had in the words of cyclists "bonked". Diane, bless her, had already arrived at the restaurant and had had a little something to eat. It turns out that both Hayley and Diane had also hit the wall shortly before getting to the restaurant. Diane agreed to cycle back with some cake and extra
Loch Naver
1584851552659.png
water to meet me. I couldn't believe the difference: from one moment I was a broken man, yet pretty much immediately I got something to eat and drink I felt better and could carry on. Having said that, when we got to the restaurant we had a pretty massive lunch of calories! By now it was about 3 PM and although we only had a further 25 miles to go, it took us almost 4 hours. One rather memorable part was when we discovered that the cycle path went across the river underneath the deck of the railway. We had to manhandle our bikes up steps on both sides of the river and then cycled down a tiny path with barbed wire on both sides, much to the surprise of a number of cows standing in the fields whose stared at us as if we were apparitions!

The last hill into Tain was on the A9 which is a high-speed road. Although we only had about 2 1/2 miles of this, it was deeply unpleasant. Finally we got to the hotel, where I discovered from Tim that my brother Kit was very seriously ill and likely would not survive very long. Not a fun end to the day, but thank goodness I saw him at the weekend.

TS
RobSN

RobSN

Out on the slopes
Skier
Captain's blogle, Jogle Day 3, June 22: Tain to Inverness. Jogle stats: 37.2 miles; 4:24 riding time; 1,555 ft ascent; 1,409 calories; 97/125 average/max heart rate.

As Pres. John F Esson said when announcing the Jogle project "we choose to go on the Jogle not because it is easy but because it is hard". I have become Katz in Bill Bryson's "Walk in the Woods" where he throws away half his stuff after a couple of days because it is too heavy, and I offer a mea culpa to Diane who had warned me of this. As you will see from earlier in the blog I had pooh-poohed her, and had been convinced that my kit was at the absolute minimum. Having arrived in Inverness however I undertook a major cutting down of my luggage using the question to myself "do I really need this? Is there an alternative?" – so for example my spare drive belt has gone – that's what Amazon is there for. My spare nuts and bolts are gone – that's what a bicycle shop is there for. Anyway the net result was that I packed an entire front pannier, took it to the post office and sent it to my cousin where Susan will pick it up in a couple of weeks. About 5 kg has been saved. The degree to which this helps will be discovered later.

Now on to the description of the day! I fell off my bike, we took a wrong turn resulting in the steepest climb of all time (due I believe to the failure to purchase a squirrel), and sadly my brother Kit died.

I was riding along a road with a steep grass bank on the side. There was a tiny rut between the tarmac and the grass verge. I looked up for a moment and saw a hiker walking towards me and with that moment of inattention my front wheel went into the rut. I keeled over into the grass still attached to my pedals much to the amusement of the hiker and myself! As we approached Inverness our GPS told us to take a route that seemed to go downhill, even though there was a different sign for Inverness which maintained our altitude. The problem was the better sign maintained the altitude at the height of the bridge across the river. The route we took took us down to the river and then forced us to climb up a very narrow and very steep track to get to the top. Hayley and Diane let alone me were exhausted by the time they managed that climb. As I finally struggled and reached them I said "we should have bought a squirrel", a reference to the movie the Rat Race.

Right at the end of the day just after I had taken half a sleeping pill (the light makes it difficult to sleep), I received a call from my brother Tim to let me know that my brother Kit had died. I then spent some time informing family, but it was a dreadful end to the day.

TS
RobSN

RobSN

Out on the slopes
Skier
Captain's blogle, Jogle Day 4, June 23: Inverness to Crubenmore. Jogle stats: 59.2 miles; 7:07 riding time; 3,235 ft ascent; 2,670 calories; 109/136 average/max heart rate.

Today we conquered the Cairngorm mountains (or a part of them), although in my case it was a Pyrrhic victory! There were something like 3,200 feet of climbing, a few parts of which seemed almost vertical. However overall I was moving faster no doubt due to the lower weight and I suppose possibly increasing fitness, although my body doesn't really accept that that could possibly be happening yet as I feel very tired at the end of the day. Our lunch stop for the day was a bit of a disaster as it transpired that the only food available was various forms of cake. Unfortunately, Diane doesn't eat sweet things and consequently did not eat there. I sent Hayley on to find a place with Diane and I carried on behind. A little while later Diane sent me a text saying that there was not too much climbing but the headwinds were very strong. I replied "what headwinds?" and indicated that I was in Aviemore (which was about 10 miles behind me as if I

Ruthven Barracks
1584851784460.png
had been blown backwards from the cake shop). It was not in fact that much of an exaggeration. At one stage when near a place called Ruthven Barracks, the wind was so strong in the gusts that I would estimate it was about 40 miles per hour. During the afternoon, the average headwind was probably around 20 miles per hour. Not surprisingly, this slowed us down significantly! We were fortunate to arrive at one of the best hotels or bed and breakfast establishments I have ever been in: it was called Crubenbeg House. They served us a truly fabulous dinner which helped with our recovery.

TS
RobSN

RobSN

Out on the slopes
Skier
Captain's blogle, Jogle date 5, June 24: Crubenmore to Bankfoot. Jogle stats: 56.9 miles; 5:57 riding time; 2,352 ft ascent; 2,012 calories; 100/128 average/max heart rate.

Delicious kippers for breakfast this morning, so much better than the ones that we get in the States. Regrettably, however, the winds had not abated. It became rapidly clear that we were not home on the range. Yes, surprisingly, one or two discouraging words may have been heard. These were along the lines of "goodness gracious me", "goodness!", and "dearie me", but tended to be just a fraction more pithy. The day started out with truly massive headwinds, and the girls were good enough to ride in front of their dad to try to help him along. But at times we were crawling at perhaps 3 to 4 miles an hour in the face of winds that were probably on average 25 to 30 miles per hour with gusts that were greater. I remember one particular gust was so great that we were all very nearly blown off the road – thank goodness it was a very quiet road without much traffic. In amongst all this struggle, I did at one stage see a grouse running beside the road next

Drumachduar Pass
1584851885237.png
to me! After about an hour and a half, Diane got a puncture and told me to carry on, with Hayley staying behind to help Diane. I was wearing my rain gear, not because it was raining but because the wind chill was significant. As I climbed up to the summit of Drumachduar Pass, which apparently is the highest level of any rail line in Britain, I had to stop and change my socks for the waterproof ones again merely to keep warm. Thank goodness, after the summit the wind changed somewhat and was not directly in our faces. Indeed at times we got short periods where the wind helped – but on average it very much didn't!

One of the interesting things today was that the cycle path was at times right next to the main A9 dual carriageway. This is a 70 mile per hour speed limit road. It was clear that sometimes the cycle path was the old A9 as one could still see some of the road markings and the cats-eyes. This old road was single lane in both directions and would have been the road that my father used when he took our family on vacation to the Highlands of Scotland in the early 1960s. Indeed, there were some old bridges that were marked as no longer suitable for motor traffic but fortunately were strong enough to hold three cyclists! We had one marvelous downhill section on this old road, which was dedicated to only cycle traffic. Fortunately, there were trees either side blocking the wind and I think we all managed to get at one stage to over 30 miles per hour! Certainly we were averaging something in the region of 15 to 20 miles per hour for about 5-10 miles. Having said this, unfortunately some of the cycle track was basically gravel and while my touring bike with its 2 inch tires was able to handle this easily, it was much more difficult for Diane with her racing bike tires.There was also one rather interesting bridge later in the day which was marked as "private bridge – cross at your own risk". During the afternoon we passed through the village of Killiecrankie which I thought was a very dangerous sounding place for cyclists to go through.

Some have asked about the quote from Pres. John F. Esson mentioned above. The full quote was "Before two months is out, we commit to sending Rob Esson from John O'Groats to Lands End and bringing him safely home in as few pieces as is commensurate with the undertaking. We choose to go on the Jogle not because it is easy but because it is hard".
[more to come, if people like it … if not, ah well …]

TS
RobSN

RobSN

Out on the slopes
Skier
Captain's blogle, Jogle Day 6, June 25: Bankfoot to Edinburgh. Jogle stats: 55.1 miles; 6:43 riding time; 3,350 ft ascent; 2,214 calories; 101/138 average/max heart rate.

The day started off partly sunny. I set off before the girls riding through beautiful wide-open fields with views over the mountains and hills. The most memorable part of the morning however was a hill near the village of Dron. I could see the elevation profile on my GPS as we approached but could see no hill. It turned out that it was hidden among the woods but my goodness what a hill it was. Our mapping software said that the maximum grade was 10.8% but the road sign said 12%. I think I'll go with the road sign! I had to stop three or four times on the way up. Once we had got to the top the girls said that they would go on to find a place for lunch and they in fact stopped in Kinross at a Co-op store. Diane told Hayley to look out for me but Hayley spent some time with her back to the window – it must've been at this juncture that I rode past. Much later I received a text asking whether I had passed through Kinross. I replied yes, and I had just stopped to see a man about a dog in a farm field and unbeknownst to me had stepped in a cow pat, which stuck to the bottom of my cycling sandal for the rest of the day as we discovered when we finally got indoors and I removed my sandals. The right one was then consigned to the bike shed. The girls were then going to catch me up with a sandwich for me for lunch, but as I carried on I came across the second large hill of the day near Cleish. I conquered it, again somewhat Pyrrhicly, and didn't stop at all as I would never have started again. The girls met me at the top and I had my sandwich and finished my tea for the day, eek! I was dripping with sweat from the climb, and my leather gloves were soaked from sweat running down my arms. Going back downhill, I got rather chilly, even though I had zipped my rain jacket up in anticipation of exactly this problem. I turned one corner at some speed, perhaps 25mph, and startled a deer in the road who twisted round in a manner that, were I a deer, I would imagine quite painful and ran off at high speed into the fields. During the afternoon the cycle path went along a couple of old railway lines which had been paved over - wonderful riding with no steep hills! Our crossing of the old Forth bridge was difficult as due to road works it wasn't clear where cyclists were supposed to go. Nonetheless, the views were spectacular. There were signs along the bridge from the Samaritans saying "talk to us". Most of the time I was cycling a few yards away from the railings, but one time I went up to them and glanced over and have to say that looking straight down it gave me the heebie-jeebies. The final part of the route into Edinburgh was along another of the rail trails and clearly it had originally gone to Edinburgh Haymarket, which is very close to Diane's apartment. It was of course traffic free and passed under and over main roads and alongside old platforms overgrown with vegetation. It was a wonderful way to cycle into Auld Reekie, as the Scots used to know Edinburgh. After we had showered we went out for a massive curry, which turned out to be the opposite of Noel Coward's vintage coconut wine*, and refueled ourselves. As we were walking back we were all cold and got the giggles when we saw a woman walking along with a big woolly hat and big woolly coat – noting to each other that thank goodness we were in Edinburgh a few days after Midsummer's day.

[*The lyric was from Uncle Harry "They served him yams and hams and human hands, and vintage coconut wine/The taste of which was disgusting but the after effects divine"]

TS
RobSN

RobSN

Out on the slopes
Skier
Captain's blogle, Jogle day 7, June 26, rest day: as some may have already heard, the good news is that on my rest day in Edinburgh the bottom did not fall out of my world. Regrettably, however, the opposite happened: we suspected that the prawn curry from the night before may have been bad. Consequently I was laid up in Diane's apartment at the time that I was supposed to be getting a massage to deal with my aching legs and aching shoulder – Murphy's Law!

TS
RobSN

RobSN

Out on the slopes
Skier
Soaked and frozen in the café
1584878965596.png
Captain's blogle, Jogle day 8, June 27: Edinburgh to Yarrow. Jogle stats: 41.8 miles; 5:25 riding time; 2,923 ft ascent; 1,988 calories; 108/133 average/max heart rate.

Although I was still not feeling 100%, I decided to risk it and do the day's Jogle cycle ride. The bad news was that it was pouring with rain and a cold rain at that, which lasted the entire day. I set off sometime before the girls for a relatively short days cycle ride of only 41 miles. We met up again perhaps around 20 miles into the ride, and shortly thereafter tackled a very long hill although the gradient was not too bad and we all managed to get to the top without stopping. However when we did get to the top we had a bit of a surprise – there was a strong wind blowing into our faces together with driving rain. The temperature seemed to be quite low and although the Garmin showed a minimum temperature of 43°F, we all thought that the rain felt like sleet – it certainly stung our faces like it. At my insistence, the girls rode on to the town of Innerleithen which was at 32 miles into our ride. They found a cyclist friendly café but began to become concerned when I had not turned up after 15 minutes – methinks they do not realize how slowly I sometimes cycle up long hills (there was another long hill before that town). When I arrived one of the ladies in the café said that the girls had been very concerned about me. They also told me to take my rain gear off which I did and immediately created a pool of water on the floor. It transpired that the girls and I were all thoroughly chilled and particularly Diane's feet were cold. We decided to stay in the café until we had all warmed up sufficiently to ride on again. I put sugar in my tea for the first time in a number of years – I needed the tea as I needed something warmer in me and I needed the sugar for energy. A German hiker came into the café and I asked him how he was enjoying the Scottish summer. He said that it was a bit strange as he was on his holidays, no doubt meaning that he was expecting better weather. Our cycling gloves were all soaking wet and the ladies in the café offered us disposable catering gloves to wear under our regular cycling gloves so that our wet gloves would not make us cold – what a kind thought that was, and effective too! After lunch we cycled the last 9 miles which included yet another long slow hill. Finally we got to our hotel, the Gordon Arms, where the people could not have been more helpful. We were able to store our bikes indoors in an unused part of the pub, and the rooms were well appointed. We turned the heating on, even though it is supposedly Midsummer, and all had hot showers which warmed us back up again. The staff also offered to wash and dry our wet things which was marvelous. We subsequently had a truly delicious dinner at the hotel so I would recommend it highly.

TS
RobSN

RobSN

Out on the slopes
Skier
The bridge at the border
1584879167546.png
Captain's blogle, Jogle day 9, June 28: Yarrow to Longtown. Jogle stats: 48.0 miles; 5:11 riding time; 2,172 ft ascent; 1,297 calories; 89/115 average/max heart rate.

At breakfast we tried to find a place that we could likely meet up for at lunch. However our route was pretty remote. There was strangely enough a Tibetan Buddhist monastery on the way with a tearoom, but it was closed on Wednesdays. Consequently, we asked the hotel to make us packed lunches. The girls were subsequently a little surprised to discover salad cream in their cheese sandwiches at lunchtime! On the ride out the weather was considerably more pleasant than the day before. It was dry and one could see out over the hills. The scenery reminded me strongly of the Yorkshire Dales. As we entered Dumfries and Galloway, there was a wonderful fast downhill that seemed to go on for ages: the only negative was that at one stage a very large cow was standing right beside the road. As I approached at speed I wondered what would happen if the cow moved into the road – consequently I braked a little as I approached and when I thought that there was no chance of it getting across the road before I got past, I accelerated quickly. Some way north of the Tibetan monastery, I met three people pulling a trailer with a notice saying that they were on the longest walk. One of the men seemed to be dressed in Buddhist type robes, although he didn't speak. Apparently they were going to walk to John O'Groats and up through the Orkney Islands and Shetland Islands and then somehow get over to Norway and continue on up north ultimately then turning around and coming back down through Estonia with an endpoint of Germany. Quite what this was all in aid of was rather unclear. I was keeping the girls updated by text as to my progress and I stopped one time in the middle of nowhere next to a tall bank of grass with a fence on it. As I was texting Diane, there was a loud wail right by my ear. I jumped a mile and dropped one of my gloves, and then turned around to discover that a sheep had come up the grass bank and was standing right by the fence and had decided to let out a loud baa right by my ear! In the last few miles of the day we crossed the Scottish English border at an unmarked location where apparently the border was a stream. I took a selfie by the stream to mark this momentous event. Our accommodation for the evening was a café, in Longtown, with two rooms which of course we filled. Yet again, the people there were very accommodating and helped us in a number of ways, including allowing me to bring my bike into the café overnight so that I could recharge the USB radar light on the back.

TS
RobSN

RobSN

Out on the slopes
Skier
Captain's blogle, Jogle day 10, June 29: Longtown to Ambleside. Jogle stats: 53.3 miles; 6:01 riding time; 2,956 ft ascent; 2,083 calories; 103/140 average/max heart rate.

Today we reached Ambleside, which marks the end of Diane's Jogle for this year. Hayley and Diane will be running a 55 km ultra trail marathon on Saturday after a rest day on Friday. Today was not such a fun ride. Although we had welcome tail winds for much of the day, we also had relentless cold rain until the early afternoon. Riding through Carlisle was not fun and both the girls and I were very glad when we were able to get back onto the national cycle routes and get away from the traffic. We stopped for lunch at a pub in Mungrisdale. The girls arrived before me but we were all extremely chilled and wet through at lunchtime. The people in the pub were excellent – they gave us towels to help us dry off and I was able to get changed out of one set of sodden woolly tops into my only other (dry) set in a spare room while in the pub. After a suitable amount of hot tea we thought that we might just about be able to tackle the final 20 miles. Regrettably it turned out that some public works had closed off the cycle routes into Ambleside, and we had to ride on a fast A road for about the final 8 miles. As always I find this to be extremely stressful and unpleasant. At dinner at a very pleasant Italian restaurant, Hayley and Diane said that they thought that I should leave Ambleside on Saturday and therefore only take one rest day. This will enable me to split the approximately 230 miles to Gloucester into four days of approximately 60 miles per day rather than the planned three days of 52 miles, 93 miles, and 89 miles. Hayley will do this latter routing by herself and she and I will both meet in Gloucester before the 72 miles from there to Bruton. We all agreed that this would be a good idea especially as I had been worried about the 90 mile days.

TS
RobSN

RobSN

Out on the slopes
Skier
Captain's blogle, Jogle day 11, June 30, rest day: replanning my route, a gentle massage, purchase of some more "chamois butter" to help with sitting in the saddle for many hours on end, and other fiddling about. Yet more so called "energizing" shower gel at the B&B: this has been supplied more than once, and I think it's a con. For example, when we arrived exhausted and cold at the Gordon Arms (end of day eight), the shower also had energizing shower gel. Darned if I felt energized after using it, although I did feel warmer. Diane has pointed out that we did not do a control experiment where one of us had energizing gel and one regular non-energizing gel. I am getting ready to ride off without my girls tomorrow: I'm not too concerned about riding on my own, but I will miss my family. Hayley will catch up with me in four days, after running her Ultra tomorrow.

TS
RobSN

RobSN

Out on the slopes
Skier
Captain's blogle, Jogle day 12, July 1: Ambleside to Chorley. Jogle stats: 74.7 miles; 8:39 riding time; 4,327 ft ascent; 3,121 calories; 110/148 average/max heart rate.

The day started off overcast but rapidly became partly sunny with wonderful riding conditions – until the very end! The first 4.7 miles were on an A road which as before I do not like. Fortunately it then changed to the national cycle routes and I rode through countryside and rolling hills, some of which were more rolling than others. Between the country villages of Ackenthwaite and Beetham, there was a misnamed 1½ mile section called Paradise Lane: although once it may have been fully tarmaced, there was a thick grass bank going down the middle of the lane, leaving two narrow tarmac strips either side. Regrettably, there were also stinging nettles sticking out by the zillion, meaning I had to cycle as close to the middle grass strip as possible to avoid the nettles, but if the wheel got onto the median, the bike was very unstable - I spent my time expecting at any moment to keel over off the bike into a hedge of stinging nettles! I stopped for lunch in Carnforth and chatted to a couple of cyclists with panniers and gear on the back of their bikes.

Today's rolling countryside
1584879499375.png
They were going to cycle up towards the lake district but were very interested in my bike. They watched over it while I popped into a sandwich shop and got a hot sausage roll and a sandwich for later in the afternoon. A strange thing happened in there – I asked them to fill my water bottle and I got the reply we only have hot water! Fortunately, a pub up the road was far more accommodating. I was stopped by another cyclist sitting outside a pub who was working on his tire and inner tube. He asked whether I had a good pump and I lent it to him. It turned out that he did not have a puncture at all, merely a faulty pump. While this was going on some people came out to the pub who were going to a wedding at the church next-door. One of them, a man named Dave Heaven, was also interested in my bike and took photos which he said he would add to his blog, and I gave him my email address so that I could see the results. At 44 miles into the ride, leaving 30 to go, I stopped at a bench by the side of the road, sat down and had my sandwich and a couple of cups of tea. There was even a large tree behind the bench with vegetation around it clearly made for seeing men about dogs. At this stage, I was somewhat surprised that I had completed so much climbing of the days total of 3,568 feet. It seemed that the rest of the ride would be very flat. Regrettably it turned out that RidewithGPS.com had miscalculated the days total climb and in fact I had approximately 4,300 feet of total climb – a record for me. I rode on and stopped a little outside Preston at the village of Inglewhite, sat on a bench in the village green and finished my tea. Riding through Preston, it was a mixture of very run down areas and wonderful old homes. I got onto a cycle route, NCN 55, to Chorley and only had about 10 miles to go. I spoke at length to a man walking his dog who wanted to do either the Jogle or Lejog (Jogle the other way round) himself. Unfortunately, as I was talking to him a light rain began to fall and I rode on so as not to get chilled. Unfortunately, the rain got heavier and I stopped under a bridge and changed into my full rain gear. From here on, the next 10 miles seemed to take an interminable time and were thoroughly miserable. The cycle route had gates to prevent non-cycle traffic getting through but was clearly not designed for touring bikes with panniers. Each time, I had to lift the entire bike over the obstacle, and there seemed to be about eight of them: I was muttering curses to the local council by the end. To make matters worse, my glasses and my GPS were covered with water which made it difficult to read the GPS – and to add more fun to the equation, my routing took me for a while on a fast A road which I avoided by continuing along NCN 55, but naturally that section was not as well signposted as other parts of the network leading me to stop on numerous occasions to try to find the way. Finally, I got to my hotel at about 8pm, where I was able to bring my bike into the room and strip off my wet gear. As I went into the hotel I met a young man, Jack, who was very impressed that I was doing the Jogle, and insisted on pressing a £10 note into my hand. I
My afternoon break
1584879579524.png
told him that I would donate it to prostate cancer in honor of Nick (another brother who had died of prostate cancer a couple of years previously) who originally would have accompanied me on this trip (which I subsequently did). Then, while at the restaurant next door to the hotel, an older couple found out what I was doing and insisted on buying me breakfast at the restaurant the next day! What unexpected generosity here in Lancashire – I didn't tell them that I was born in York. The hotel also provided me with extra towels to help dry off my clothes and a portable heater which I was able to put under them where they were hanging overnight – great service here at a Premier Inn.

TS
RobSN

RobSN

Out on the slopes
Skier
Jodrell Bank radio telescope
1584879819078.png
Captain's blogle, Jogle day 13, July 2: Chorley to Stone. Jogle stats: 74.6 miles; 8:25 riding time; 3,458 ft ascent; 2,295 calories; 95/129 average/max heart rate.

Although I arrived at the restaurant at 8:00:01, I was not the first customer. Two Australians, Grant & Joan, dressed in appropriate cycling gear were there ahead of me. They are doing LeJog, and a bit more relaxed than me - aiming for 40-50 miles a day. I recommended the Strathnaver Valley to them. I didn't set out until 9am, and immediately hit a problem: the routing was taking me across a field. Once I had extricated myself, and rerouted, I'd wasted a pile more time which wasn't so good as I had a long day ahead of me. A highlight of the morning was finding myself on the ROE rail to trail through Bolton - very fast - and packed with walkers, dogs, and cub scouts, who like little boys the world over were too interested in other things to listen to the adults asking them to move over for the cyclist. Two red attack dachshunds were taken off guard as I shot past them, so I escaped with my life. A little while later, I cycled through Manchester - England's second largest city - on a canal path and hardly saw a soul! Later a bit south of the city the route took me under the runways of Manchester Airport. Shortly thereafter, riding through the countryside I came across wave after wave of cyclists all with numbers on the handlebars so I assume they were in some form of cycling race or maybe a triathlon. Then I hit the Biddulph railway, which climbed at a gentle grade for many miles. I stopped for tea at 60 miles into the ride, looking over a wonderful vista. Unfortunately, about now I started to have problems with my Garmin. It kept saying that it had a low battery and it didn't seem to matter what I did. In the end the only thing I could do was connect it directly to the USB port and cycle extra fast! By now I was going through parts of England that had been the seat of the industrial revolution – one could see remnants of coal pits, canal machinery, and very memorably, Jodrell Bank, the steerable radio telescope although I think that it is still in use. Various of the cycle paths today had lunatic cycle gates, which were clearly not designed for touring bikes: I either had to lift the bike over the routing for horses or in one case push it under the gate – very annoying! The weather today was very pleasant and I found myself running out of water on two occasions. On the first I stopped by a man working near his garage and asked him if he lived there – he answered yes and I asked if he could fill my water bottle. He was very happy to do so and quite interested to learn that I was half way through the Jogle. The second time was near the end of the day when I met two cyclists on the canal path leading into Stone. They wanted to know what I was doing and during the conversation I mentioned that I was very low on water. One of them had a spare water bottle and poured it into mine. I finally reached my hotel after almost 8 1/2 hours of riding. It was a strange hotel, a mixture of an attempt to be very modern, and dilapidated. There only seemed to be three staff on duty, one of whom did not speak English very well. Nonetheless, I ate a good dinner to refuel and the bed seems adequate.

TS
RobSN

RobSN

Out on the slopes
Skier
Captain's blogle, Jogle day 14, July 3: Stone to Stourport-on-Severn, Jogle stats: 48.2 miles; 6:01 riding time; 2,097ft ascent; 1,348 calories; 82/129 average/max heart rate.

Today was a relatively easy day with abundant sunshine and was the first day that I rode for a substantial time in only a T-shirt (on top that is!). The first two thirds of the ride was relatively flat crossing beautiful countryside, along old railway lines and later on yet again along canal tow paths. At about 11:30 I cycled past a mown grass bank which I realized was perfect for sitting on. So I stopped, sat down and had a cup of tea and a packet of crisps which I had been carrying around for three days. While I was doing this an older cyclist on a 1980s bike (with leather toe clips!) came past. He stopped and chatted and it turned out that he was intending to do either the Jogle or LeJog next year with an older friend. A little while later I was cycling through a village on the outskirts of Stafford and had run out of water. I looked around for someone in their garden and shortly, noticed a house with its back door open. I figured that this meant someone would be around and parked my bike and went up and knocked on the door. The lady of the house was happy to refill my water bottle, with ice included no less! She had to do it a second time as I drank the first refill that she gave me immediately. It turned out that her son-in-law was an ultra marathoner and so I gave them the information about the Jayley does Jogle YouTube channel. During the afternoon I was approaching the village of Kinver and could not help but notice that its church was high on a hill. I thought to myself uh-oh I hope the route doesn't go up there, but of course it did: it was a definite catch the attention hill. It was interesting that when I got to my B&B the lady owner knew Prescott AZ. In fact she and her husband would like to retire to the US but will not be able to given the visa restrictions. An interesting development regarding my Jogle is that I am finding it less necessary to stop for food at lunch time or while on the road for a snack. In fact I now have to force myself to eat just to make sure that I have something on the stomach. Having said this, although I did not have lunch today, I did stuff my face with curry and therefore carbohydrates this evening.

Pub in Stourport where I had a pint
1584880079579.png

TS
RobSN

RobSN

Out on the slopes
Skier
The Tardis
1584880222685.png
Captain's blogle, Jogle day 15, Independence Day!: Stourport-on-Severn to Gloucester, Jogle stats: 48.8 miles; 5:57 riding time; 2,165 ft ascent; 1,226 calories; 81/130 average/max heart rate.
1584880242636.png

Hayley met up with me today, which was a great July 4 present! Although Hayley really dislikes canal paths, I have found them very interesting. Stourport was a centre for narrow boats and the "pool" has been renovated and the canals brought back into operation as tourist attractions. Originally though, they were the transportation miracle enabling the Industrial Revolution and the transport of heavy goods around the country until the railways became an even more efficient method of doing so. If one looks carefully, one can see innovation behind this original powerhouse - even though the "engines" were still horses, towing a narrow boat along the towpath was still a very efficient method of transport relative to the use of horses and carts. Early in the day a pleasant start changed when a narrow band of heavy rain came through, but it only lasted about an hour. I stopped at a coffee shop at about 11:30 on a towpath in Worcester where I chatted to the very personable young lady behind the counter. I told her that I was recommending that Hayley stop there, and she later greeted Hayley with a "Happy 4th of July!". Earlier in the morning, in a village competing for prettiest or similar, I came across a "Tardis" that had been put together with doors and painted convincingly, and with a "Doctor on call" sign - I could have wished to shoot a few days forward in time. Hayley & I celebrated our 4th with a pizza, and toasted confusion to the British* with a suitable laugh!
[* I am a naturalized US citizen originally from Britain. Hayley is a dual US/UK citizen]

TS
RobSN

RobSN

Out on the slopes
Skier
Captain's blogle, Jogle day 16, July 5: Gloucester to Bruton, Jogle stats: 72.8 miles; 8:06 riding time; 3,278 ft ascent; 2,019 calories; 90/131 average/max heart rate.

The beginning of the day started with a fast wide canal side route out of Gloucester, which rapidly deteriorated into some of the worst riding - a tiny maybe 4 inch track of broken tarmac which was purgatory for Hayley whose shoulder and bottom were hurting. After about 16 miles we had to take the A38, a 60mph A road, for 8 miles. Although it had markings on the left for bikes for much of the way, we both disliked it enormously. However, we escaped onto a route generated by Ridewithgps.com, and then had to walk up a hill for the first time (but I am not counting it) - like Paradise Lane, it consisted of two ruts with deep vegetation in the middle, but loose gravel/mud in the ruts. After a few yards of trying to cycle up it, our back wheels were spinning, and Hayley & I got off our bikes and pushed them along this sorry imitation of a road. However, after these tales of woe, we got on a couple of long rail to trail lines. We stopped at a pub just outside Bath, and refueled with a certain amount of dread: we had an extremely steep 500 foot hill to climb within the next couple of miles - we could tell from the elevation profile that it went up steeply, leveled off and then went up even more steeply and further. We rejoined the rail path and a glimmer of hope began to form when I saw that the trail was called the two tunnels trail - and indeed the tunnels cut out the big hills. The first tunnel was only a few hundred metres long, while the second tunnel was over a mile long: it was also wonderfully cool underground, and Hayley even got cold, while I simply radiated some of the heat from the day. Never before in the field of Jogle history has so much been owed by two Joglers to the countless 19th Century tunnel builders! Another complaint about ridewithgps.com is that it provides the maximum grade for the day, which was 8.5%, which is all very well, but we went up a 12% hill on their route! We were both absolutely exhausted when we finally got to my cousin Mike & his wife Dee in Bruton. They had hung bunting, and Susan and Mike were in the driveway cheering me as I cycled in. It was extraordinary how much dust and fine gravel had adhered to my suntan lotion, but fortunately a bath and an excellent meal enabled us to rejoin civilisation, however briefly.

Sponsor

Staff online