• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Rudi Riet

AKA songfta AKA randomduck - a USSS coach, as well
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
fullsizeoutput_6b29.jpeg

U.S. Ski & Snowboard Hall of Fame members. Suzy Chaffee, Bob Beattie and Chris Klug/Photo Credit: Pugski.com​

Say what you will about the man, but he's a legend of the sport. The FIS Alpine World Cup and the original World Pro Ski Tour have left huge marks on the sport.

From the Aspen Times:
Alpine skiing legend Bob Beattie, who had been dealing with various health ailments, died Sunday. He was 85.

Beattie's son Zeno said his father passed away on Easter at Zeno's home in Fruita. Bob Beattie, who was living in Woody Creek, adopted Aspen as his second home when he moved here in 1970. He later moved to Woody Creek in 1976 and lived there since.

Zeno said his dad, who was a legend in skiing and broadcasting, was a very determined man. Once he had up his mind that something needed to be done, he would figure out a way to accomplish it.

"The motto of our company is, 'It can be done,'" Zeno said.

The fiery, charismatic Beattie put U.S. skiing on the map on the international stage in the 1960s. He led the men's U.S. Ski Team to its first ever-Olympic medals in 1964. He also coached the men's team in the 1968 Olympics.

Beattie was well-known as a skiing and Olympics commentator for ABC Sports, where he started working in 1969.

In 1966, Beattie teamed with French journalist Serge Lang and Honore Bonnet to create the World Cup ski racing circuit as a way to build consistent interest in the sport. When the International Ski Federal, which governs the World Cup circuit, insisted on holding onto what Beattie felt was a "boring" format of skiers coming down the slopes one at a time, Beattie created the World Pro Racing Tour in 1970 to promote the dual racing format he loved.

Beattie was never afraid to ruffle feathers at the FIS or even the U.S. Ski Team, which he coached for nine seasons.

In March 2017, he told The Aspen Times, "It's fun to ruffle feathers. It really is." When he said it, there was a genuine twinkle in his eye.

Beattie was honored for is contributions to skiing during a ceremony at the Hotel Jerome in Aspen during the World Cup Finals in March 2017.

"It was amazing," Zeno said. "All his friend came."

Beattie moved to Aspen in 1970 after leaving the U.S. Ski Team. Along with ABC Sports, he also worked for ESPN for several years.

Beattie, who led the University of Colorado ski team to NCAA championships in 1959 and '60, was inducted into the National Ski Hall of Fame in 1984 and inducted into the Aspen Hall of Fame in 2004.

Despite all of his major accomplishments in ski racing, Zeno said his dad was especially proud of helping establish the program through the Aspen Valley Ski and Snowboard Club that gets Roaring Fork Valley kids out on the slopes at a low cost or free. More than 1,500 kids participate in the program.

Zeno recalled that his dad wrangled with officials at Aspen Skiing Co. and the ski club to get the program started.

"Every day he would go in there and argue about the costs being too high," Zeno said.

Bob was pleased with the deal that was arranged with the Crown family, owners of Aspen Skiing Co., and Skico president and CEO Mike Kaplan, Zeno said.

The family is working on a public memorial service for Bob, likely in the fall.

"He wanted something totally inclusive," Zeno said. "That's all Dad wanted."

This is a developing story that will be updated.

[email protected]

Link: https://www.aspentimes.com/news/local/aspen-skiing-legend-bob-beattie-dies-at-age-85/

Last edited by a moderator:

newfydog

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Good write up:

https://usskiandsnowboard.org/news/founder-us-ski-team-bob-beattie-passes

Bob Beattie, center, with Billy Kidd (left) and Jimmie Heuga at the 1964 Olympic Winter Games.
BobBeattie_2012-200.jpg

An icon of the sport of alpine ski racing and one of its most passionate pioneers, Bob Beattie passed away Sunday (April 1, 2018) with his family in Fruita, Colorado. Beattie, 85, was the founding coach of the U.S. Ski Team and one of the originators of the Alpine Ski World Cup. He was a driving force for ski racing his entire life and among sport leaders who built alpine ski racing into one of the pillar events at the Olympic Winter Games. Beattie, known often as 'Beats' or simply “Coach,” became well known as a commentator for ABC Sports and ESPN, working for ABC at four Olympic Winter Games.

Beattie, who moved to Aspen, Colo. in 1970 and lived for many years in nearby Woody Creek, was born in Manchester, N.H. January 24, 1933, later attending Middlebury College in Vermont where he was a multisport athlete. He was named acting ski coach for Middlebury after graduation in 1955, standing in for coach Bobo Sheehan who went on to coach the U.S. Ski Team for the 1956 Olympics. Beattie took his Middlebury team to the NCAA Championships at Winter Park, Colo. finishing third and attracting the attention of other college programs.

In 1957 he became the head ski coach at the University of Colorado, leading the Buffs to NCAA titles in 1959 and 1960. In 1961 the National Ski Association named Beattie as its first national team coach. He embraced that role, providing the formative direction to organize the first true national team with heavy promotion leading up to the 1964 Olympics at Innsbruck. The USA won an unprecedented four alpine medals including silver and bronze by the late Jean Saubert, as well as the first men's alpine medals in Olympic history for the USA with Billy Kidd taking silver in slalom and the late Jimmie Heuga bronze.

Beattie often credited NFL football coach Vince Lombardi as one of his most notable role models. "It was his strong will that made him successful - 'This is the way it is and the way it is going to be,'" said Beattie last summer while reminiscing about his own career. "He was sensational. He’s what made it work. I still feel strongly about that. I don’t know if I accomplished that, but I tried."

Among the heroes of the sport in that era was Steamboat Springs, Colo. native Buddy Werner, who became the first American to win the fabled Hahnenkamm downhill in Kitzbuehel, Austria in 1959. Recognizing not just his athletic prowess but also his leadership skills, Beattie recruited Werner to ski for him at Colorado and the two became close friends. Beattie accompanied Werner's body back to America after his tragic death in an avalanche in Switzerland just after the 1964 Olympics.

In his tenure leading up to the 1964 Olympics, Beattie often stirred controversy. But he also pioneered a new era of promotion and fundraising for the fledgling U.S. Ski Team. He partnered with the U.S. ski industry to raise funds and engaged with corporate America to support its national team at previously unheard of levels.

One of the sport's greatest promoters, Beattie partnered with journalist Serge Lang and French coach Honorė Bonnet in 1966 to align the leading ski races around the globe in the first Alpine Ski World Cup. The tour quickly earned the nickname of the White Circus as stars of the sport hopscotched the globe every weekend, quickly growing to become one of the most notable international sports tours. A half-century later, the tour continues to bring alpine ski racing to hundreds of millions of fans globally every year. Today, the World Cup tour concept is common among winter sports - all emanating from the Lang-Beattie-Bonnet concept.

After leaving his coaching career, Beattie started World Wide Ski Corp., pioneering the World Pro Ski Tour in 1970. Strong national television coverage prompted top international athletes to flock to America including triple Olympic gold medalist Jean-Claude Killy and American stars like Spider Sabich. The tour continued until 1982.

At the same time, Beattie also took over promotion of the relatively new NASTAR recreational racing program that had been started by SKI Magazine editor John Fry in 1969. NASTAR continues today, now under the leadership of the U.S. Ski Team, bringing the sport to thousands of new participants at resorts coast-to-coast.

Beattie made his debut as a television commentator in 1969 working for Roone Arledge at ABC. He was later paired with NFL football star Frank Gifford. Their call of Austrian Franz Klammer's gold medal downhill run became legendary. He went on to work Winter Olympics in 1976, 1980, 1984 and 1988, as well as the 1984 Summer Olympics in Los Angeles. He was a frequent host on ABC's Wide World of Sports as well as on ESPN where he produced Bob Beattie's Ski World.

He is one of the most decorated officials in skiing. The then U.S. Ski Association awarded Beattie its highest honor, the Julius Blegen Award, in 1964 for his leadership in forming the U.S. Ski Team. He was awarded the AT&T Skiing Award in 1983 for his lifetime contributions to the sport. He was inducted into the U.S. Ski and Snowboard Hall of Fame in 1984 and the Colorado Ski and Snowboard Hall of Fame in 1986. The U.S. Ski Team and International Ski Federation presented Beattie the FIS Journalist Award in 1997. He was honored with the U.S. Ski Association's Russell Wilder Award in 2000 for his contribution to youth through NASTAR.

In 2012, athletes from seven decades paid tribute to Beattie at an event organized by the World Pro Ski Tour Foundation at the Hotel Jerome in his adopted hometown of Aspen. During the Alpine Ski World Cup Finals at Aspen last March, he was the focal point of a 50 Years of Ski Racing tribute.

After retiring from his broadcast career, Beattie remained passionately engaged in the sport. He was ski racing's biggest, and its most outspoken critic. He continued to be an advocate for change. In recent years his passion led the U.S. Ski Team to create the Bob Beattie Athlete Travel fund, which is now funneling millions of dollars into an endowment to help national team athletes.

When Beattie reflected on what success meant, he always came back to focusing on the concept of team. "Winning was about discipline and physical conditioning," said Beattie. "It was about team, team, team - you have to have a team."

Looking back on the 1964 Olympics, Beattie said: "The pressure was severe. We had promised everything - rightfully or wrongfully - we had promised everyone the world. We loved each other. We were a team. They weren’t individuals. We were together as a team."

In 1986 Beattie drove negotiations with the Aspen Skiing Co. to provide affordable skiing for kids in the Roaring Fork Valley. The result was the ASK program (Aspen Supports Kids), now called Base Camp. The program thrived and today serves 1,800 kids with affordable entry into the sport.

Beattie married four times. He had a son, Zeno Beattie, daughter Susan, six grandchildren and eight great-grandchildren.

Among Beattie's credits are several books including My Ten Secrets of Skiing (Viking Press, 1968) and Bob Beattie's Learn to Ski (Bantam Books, 1967). He also had a cameo role as a German skier in the television series Combat with Vic Morrow in 1964 as well as in the 1987 Sylvester Stallone film Over the Top.

Details on a celebration of Bob Beattie's life are pending, but will likely be this fall in Aspen.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
When we attended the U S Ski and Snowboard Hall of Fame events in Aspen two years ago, it was extremely clear that he was highly revered by everyone in the room.
Even with all of the Hall of Famers in the room, he was the guy everyone wanted a picture with.

Jack skis

Ex 207cm VR17 Skier
Skier
My life and Bob's crossed paths from the late 50's to the 2000's. He certainly didn't know me, but I felt luck to have met him. The last time we talked was on a sunny day in CB when he was sitting on an Elk Avenue bench resting after hiking over from Aspen. We talked a bit, two 70+year old guys, enjoying the day.

Another one gone.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
When we attended the U S Ski and Snowboard Hall of Fame events in Aspen two years ago, it was extremely clear that he was highly revered by everyone in the room.
Even with all of the Hall of Famers in the room, he was the guy everyone wanted a picture with.
fullsizeoutput_60fb.jpeg

Bob with @Nick Sargent
fullsizeoutput_60f6.jpeg

Host Family
fullsizeoutput_60f1.jpeg

Hall of Famers Chuck Ferries, Suzy Chaffee, Bob, Chris Klug
fullsizeoutput_3fea.jpeg

@Suzy Chaffee and Bob​

Muleski

So much better than a pro
Inactive
He was a great guy. Big loss. He's been failing for some time, so sadly not unexpected at all. There was a lot of fight in the dog right up until the end. We have a very close mutual friend who saw him very frequently over the past couple of years. Having breakfast with him, while he asked for help in figuring our how to dial Tiger Shaw of the USST on his cell phone was a frequent thing. Then BB would "nicely" offer up plenty of advice.

Very sad day.

Dave Petersen

Graphic Designer/Social Media Manager
Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
Back in the 90s I would always set my alarm early Sunday morning to watch Subaru / Toyota SKI WORLD.

James

Out There
Instructor
Amazing he got the World Cup going. And head to head racing is back with Fis.

Will be remembered also for the call with Frank Gifford of Franz Klammer's 1976 Olympic Downhill run.
I can't find the abc version online. As far as I can tell, the IOC has taken it off youtube.
Here's a nice piece on Beattie done by the Aspen Hall of Fame in 2004.

Frank Gifford talks about Bob Beattie and the call of Klammer's Olympic gold run. What we hear was six hours after the race.

Bad Bob

I golf worse than I ski.
Skier
How can you "LIKE" the passing of such a central figure in the transition to modern American ski racing?

Never got to meet the man but grew up being exposed to a lot of his work and comintateing.

Wherever you are Sir, hope that the hill is prepared just the way you like it.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
@James thanks for the video clips. Now I can picture Frank and Bob sipping schnapps

Jim Kenney

Travel Correspondent
Team Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Maybe just a footnote in his long ski coaching and promotion career, but as a guy interested in ski places/travel I really liked Bob Beattie's Ski World tv show on ESPN back in the 1990's. That show put a picture/video to all the legendary ski resorts I'd mostly only read about in books/mags. Bob Beattie's Ski World show had a nice theme song too, at 29 mins in this video.

Last edited:

Viking9

Out on the slopes
Skier
Bob Beattie was awesome and like the other great tv guys added a texture to the broadcast that couldn’t be replaced.

Laurel Hill Crazie

AKA Rob Davis
Skier
Bob Beattie will always be for me the voice of alpine skiing. His passion for the sport was evident in every race he called or story that he told. I can think of few others who have popularized the sport and engrained alpine skiing within the popular culture of the United States as Coach has done. He is among the pantheon of people who are the founders and shapers of our sport. Another great one takes the ultimate run.

Muleski

Inactive
Just saying, the TV commentary was about 3% of what he contributed to the sport. Without Bob, there would be NO NCCA skiing, IMO, NO USST at this level, NO World Cup, would have been NO Pro Ski Tour, and on and on. The guy was a visionary, a hard worker, and a big personality.

He was also a hell of a three sport athlete at Middlebury, where he later began his coaching career. Not a lot of guys played football, skied, and played tennis at his level.

RIP.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
This press release from the U.S. Ski and Snowboard Hall of Fame hit my inbox this morning.
Bob Beattie | Hall of Fame Honored Member | Class of 1984
Screen Shot 2018-04-03 at 6.24.02 AM.png

Bob Beattie Passes Away at Age 85
John Meyer April 2, 2018 at 3:50 pm

Bob Beattie created the concept of the U.S. Ski Team while coaching at the University of Colorado in the early 1960s, co-founded skiing’s World Cup tour in 1966, enjoyed a successful career as a commentator for ABC’s “Wide World of Sports” and remained an influential figure in the sport well into his 80s as an outspoken member of the ski team’s trustees.

But one image from the 1964 Innsbruck Olympics stands out in the life of the longtime Roaring Fork Valley resident who died Sunday at age 85. It is a black-and-white wire-service photo of Beattie with his arms around the necks of Billy Kidd and Jimmie Heuga after they became the first American men to win Olympic medals in skiing, claiming silver and bronze in the slalom.

The man they called “Beats,” who simultaneously coached the CU and Olympic teams, had been promising American men would finally break through in Innsbruck. Europeans found the notion laughable until Kidd and Heuga made history in the final men’s race of the Games.

“I think he appreciated that moment more than Jimmie and I did,” Kidd, the longtime director of skiing at the Steamboat ski resort, said Monday. “We were too young, 20 years old, we didn’t realize how that was going to change our lives. Bob, at that finish line, in that black-and-white photo, he knew how significant that moment was. He was ecstatic. He was the guy that was bragging about us. He was telling everybody — the media, at fundraising events, when we were checking into hotels — that we were going to win medals. That grin on his face said it all.”

Beattie was more than a coach. He was a born promoter, a cross between Vince Lombardi and P.T. Barnum with a little bit of Howard Cosell thrown in. He would do everything in his power to bring attention to American ski racing.

Two years after the 1964 Olympics he co-founded the World Cup tour with French coach Honore Bonnet and Serge Lang, a journalist for a national sports newspaper in France. Beattie covered four Winter Olympics for ABC, including the legendary call of Franz Klammer’s death-defying gold medal run in downhill at the 1976 Olympics that made Klammer a national hero in Austria and even brought him a measure of fame in the U.S.

“I always question myself, did my run make Bob more famous, or (his) commentary made me famous?” Klammer said at a 2012 tribute for Beattie in Aspen. “I became a household name in America.”

Beattie was born in Manchester, N.H., and was a three-sport athlete (skiing, football and tennis) at Middlebury College in Vermont, where he later coached in the late 1950s. In those days the New York Giants football team held its summer training camps in Burlington, Vt., where Beattie would sneak under the fence to study practices and take notes. The offensive coordinator was Lombardi. The defensive coordinator was Tom Landry. Beattie was more like Lombardi and coached like him.

“I always wanted to be a coach,” Beattie recalled in an interview with The Denver Post in 2006. “That’s all I ever wanted to be. I never wanted to be a student. I can remember to this day how Vince Lombardi, he wasn’t the head coach, but he was running the program.”

In fact, when Beattie left Middlebury in 1957 to become the ski coach at CU, he insisted he would not take the job unless they let him coach football as well, and he coached under Dal Ward. In either sport he coached the way Lombardi did, driving his athletes relentlessly. But as the Green Bay Packers of the 1960s loved Lombardi, Beattie’s skiers loved him.

“It was incredible, how he pushed us in physical conditioning,” said Bill Marolt, a former CU athletic director who raced for Beattie at CU and at the 1964 Olympics. “I remember running around in a little training area just over the hill from the football stadium down by Boulder Creek that he’d cleared out where we trained, called The Pit. You’d hear him in the background, ‘We won’t be out-conditioned! We won’t be out-conditioned!’ Everybody would be going, ‘Gosh, is he nuts?’ ”

Beattie’s CU teams won NCAA championships in 1959 and 1960. He had a bitter rivalry with University of Denver coach Willy Schaeffler, a German immigrant who was drafted into the Nazi army, captured and tortured by Russians during the war and escaped to join the anti-Nazi resistance in Austria before emigrating to the U.S.

Schaeffler built his DU teams with European talent while Beattie focused on recruiting Americans.

“We were both very competitive, but we did respect each other,” Beattie said. “At one point, the athletic directors at both schools sat us down at a meeting in Boulder and they said, ‘We’re two schools of higher learning, we really should get along better.’ Of course we ‘agreed’ completely, and that weekend we just went right at it. We just disagreed on everything.”

For the top international racers in those days, there was a handful of European “classic” races such as the Hahnenkamm in Kitzbuehel, Austria, and the Lauberhorn in Wengen, Switzerland, but there was no World Cup. America’s top ski skiers only came together every two years for the Olympics or world championships and were on their own otherwise. Kidd recalls the U.S. racers being told when they went to Europe the winter of 1961-62 in advance of the world championships in Chamonix, France, that the U.S. Ski Association only had enough funds to send them one way, so they’d better get good enough results to pay for return trips home.

“Everybody on those teams came to Boulder and trained,” Marolt said. “We went to school, or if kids didn’t go to school, they had jobs. Beats went around to all the fraternities and sororities and asked them to put up one Olympic skier, give them room and board. You had the whole Olympic team living in fraternities and sororities on the CU campus.”

Beattie changed that model in 1965, creating a real team that competed together through the World Cup season under USSA auspices. Working with Lang and Bonnet, he created the World Cup by taking the existing classics and adding other races to create points-based competitions and crown season champions. Beattie insisted the World Cup include races in U.S., because it was all about promoting the sport.

“The idea was to link these competitions together in a way Americans would understand,” Beattie said. “The Hahnenkamm or Lauberhorn meant nothing to Americans, but the World Cup meant something.”

Beattie coached the Olympic team again in 1968 but left the ski team in 1970 and moved to Aspen, founding a domestic circuit called the U.S. Pro Tour and the citizens racing program NASTAR. In 1975 he moved to Woody Creek, 10 miles down valley from Aspen, where he became good friends with writer Hunter S. Thompson.

“He was crazy,” Beattie said of the gonzo journalist, “but he was a very, very loyal friend and he loved Woody Creek.”

In recent years Beattie remained passionate about the sport and the national team, regaling in the success of Mikaela Shiffrin, Lindsey Vonn, Bode Miller and others. He was a regular at World Cup races in Aspen and Beaver Creek.

He could be critical of ski team management and talent development, especially in recent years when the team began demanding less accomplished racers on the national team pay up to $30,000 to compensate the team for their travel costs. Beattie found it maddening because he said it prevented racers of modest means from reaching the top. He enjoyed acting out the role of irascible icon.

“Why do you want to get old if you don’t stir the pot?” he would say with a mischievous cackle.

For Kidd, news of Beattie’s death brought to mind a reunion with others from his era who have passed away. When Steamboat legend Buddy Werner was killed in a Swiss avalanche shortly after the 1964 Olympics, Beattie claimed the body and brought it home. Heuga died a few days before the 2010 Vancouver Olympics. Spider Sabich died of gunshot wounds in 1976 after being shot by his girlfriend, French singer-actress Claudine Longet. Beattie was supposed to have dinner with Sabich that night.

“Beats would not want us to be sad,” Kidd said. “He lived 85 years and very few people on the planet have crammed such an incredible life into 85 years. Now, just like Jimmie Heuga, he’s up in heaven. He and Jimmie and Buddy Werner and Rip McManus and Spider and a bunch of their friends are having a great time up in heaven. They’re all probably skiing chin-deep powder and yahooing and just having the greatest time.

“I think it’s not a time to be sad, it’s time for celebration of Beats and his life.”​

Dave Petersen

Graphic Designer/Social Media Manager
Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
Maybe just a footnote in his long ski coaching and promotion career, but as a guy interested in ski places/travel I really liked Bob Beattie's Ski World tv show on ESPN back in the 1990's. That show put a picture/video to all the legendary ski resorts I'd mostly only read about in books/mags. Bob Beattie's Ski World show had a nice theme song too, at 29 mins in this video.

I think I videotaped nearly every episode (and I still have them).

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
Sad news about a giant of our industry. I had the pleasure of meeting him once just for a short time up at Hunter when the Pro Racing Tour made the stop in NY. He did stop for a few words and was gracious when talking about friends that we shared. He was a person that you could not help but like and respect for all he did for skiing.

Muleski

Inactive
AVSC renames their community youth program, going back to the original name developed by founder Bob Beattie: Aspen Supports Kids {ASK}.

The press release was just published by skiracing.com. Great program, great legacy. I imagine many will support it, internationally. My family's all in! Nice way to remember and honor Bob, right in line with his wishes.

https://www.skiracing.com/stories/a...mes-base-camp-program-in-honor-of-bob-beattie

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
While we were at the Hall of Fame, they paused a moment to remember the Hall of Fame members who passed this past year, Warren Miller and Bob Beattie were among them.
We lost some great ones this past year.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
This just popped up.

Sponsor

Staff online