• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Ripstick 96 Green and Black

Larry

Out on the slopes
Skier
Anyone here skied the Elan Ripstick 96 ub both the regular green and the black models. Thinking of new 21-22 Black but almost $1,000. Worth it ?
Thanks for asking this. I've been wondering too

Dwight

Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid
Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
I have the new green(proto before they painted them all green). Well I "own" them, but I can't get on them. Between my daughter, friend and son, I don't get much time on them. :)
I kind missed the opportunity to use them on fresh snow a few weeks ago. I stayed on the Renouns all day.

What we all like about them.
1. Light
2. Easy to carve
3. Flexy so you pop all over the hill with them.

Best friend of mine likes them a lot. He can ski longer on these than any other ski, because they do not bother his knees.

1615343852579.png

Fleece82

Booting up
Skier
I have the new Black. Coming off MX88. I was focused more on groomer/carving performance being an east coaster. I'm 5'11 190 lbs .... aggressive skier. So the black was the obvious choice for me.

I think it depends on how you ski and what attributes you are looking for most. The regular 21 ripstick has some carbon. Similar to 2020 black edition. Decent carver but not its strongest attribute... geared more for being playful and fun.... if you are a bigger or more aggressive skier, you will find its limits when carving. However if you are lighter, the regular ripstick could be all you need.

If your my size, ski aggressive, and like to carve and charge at higher speeds... the black is a little more serious and a must!

I absolutely love this ski! Is it worth 1000.00. To me... yes! It's everything I was looking for and more. Its brought a confidence and the kid side of me out that I haven't had in a while.

I did a brief review on the elan black series thread but the black have no speed limit that I have yet found. But they hide the speed well bc they are so stable, damp, and glued to the snow. Turning is very intuitive and all turn shapes can be manipulated rather easily. The ski itself is rather easy to ski as well. Edges will hold as long as you want them to but you can release tails with ease as well.

As I said in the other thread. My Kastles demanded confidence to ski well. The 96 Black Inspires confidence, which makes you ski well! And allows you to enjoy the ski instead on focusing and concentrating on your every move. Just my .02. But the 2022 has exceeded all my expectations.

Disclaimer- I have only skied it twice and both times conditions were very firm hardpack with a dusting of man made and some cruddy stuff. They absolutely ripped in those conditions. So I can't wait to see what they do with a few inches of fesh on the ground.

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
Anyone here skied the Elan Ripstick 96 ub both the regular green and the black models. Thinking of new 21-22 Black but almost $1,000. Worth it ?

The regular green is a VERY light ski that is pretty soft flexing. I think of it as a ski that would work great for touring and/or light skiers. Should be VERY good and easy in the bumps and funky terrain that you need to navigate slowly unless of course you are like me at almost 200 lbs.

Larry

Out on the slopes
Skier
Boy, I wish I could demo this year or next but at 5'8" 150 either the newer RS or the older version Black is my ticket. I for one Dig the all Black look

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
@Pete in Idaho, remind us a bit about your particulars. Do I recall correctly that you're a bit older (like me)? I know my knees have regrettably slowed me down a bit the last few years, and I've started mostly choosing softer skis.

If so, and I don't mean to presume, maybe the standard "green" version would suit?

For me, I'm done with the brand. I absolutely love my Wingmans, but of course got a tiny core shot on the inside edge on Day 3 or 4. It has resisted a fix that actually holds for more than a few days, and the Amphibio concept prevents me from simply making it the outside edge -- something that seems to happen eventually on every pair of skis I own.

Luckily, it's usually more like Year 3, rather than Day 3. :ogbiggrin:

TS
Pete in Idaho

Pete in Idaho

Out on the slopes
Skier
Thanks for the posts.

@Pete in Idaho, remind us a bit about your particulars. Do I recall correctly that you're a bit older (like me)? I know my knees have regrettably slowed me down a bit the last few years, and I've started mostly choosing softer skis.

If so, and I don't mean to presume, maybe the standard "green" version would suit?

For me, I'm done with the brand. I absolutely love my Wingmans, but of course got a tiny core shot on the inside edge on Day 3 or 4. It has resisted a fix that actually holds for more than a few days, and the Amphibio concept prevents me from simply making it the outside edge -- something that seems to happen eventually on every pair of skis I own.

Luckily, it's usually more like Year 3, rather than Day 3. :ogbiggrin:

Tom, 79yrs, 198lbs, 5'10, advanced skier. Here in the inland PNW ski a lot of 2-4 in days, groomers too, I would say 50/50 on and off piste. Just been reading about the 21-22 blacks 96 and thinking about spending some $.

justaute

Graceful Bowling Ball
Skier
I have the new Black. Coming off MX88. I was focused more on groomer/carving performance being an east coaster. I'm 5'11 190 lbs .... aggressive skier. So the black was the obvious choice for me.

I think it depends on how you ski and what attributes you are looking for most. The regular 21 ripstick has some carbon. Similar to 2020 black edition. Decent carver but not its strongest attribute... geared more for being playful and fun.... if you are a bigger or more aggressive skier, you will find its limits when carving. However if you are lighter, the regular ripstick could be all you need.

If your my size, ski aggressive, and like to carve and charge at higher speeds... the black is a little more serious and a must!

I absolutely love this ski! Is it worth 1000.00. To me... yes! It's everything I was looking for and more. Its brought a confidence and the kid side of me out that I haven't had in a while.

I did a brief review on the elan black series thread but the black have no speed limit that I have yet found. But they hide the speed well bc they are so stable, damp, and glued to the snow. Turning is very intuitive and all turn shapes can be manipulated rather easily. The ski itself is rather easy to ski as well. Edges will hold as long as you want them to but you can release tails with ease as well.

As I said in the other thread. My Kastles demanded confidence to ski well. The 96 Black Inspires confidence, which makes you ski well! And allows you to enjoy the ski instead on focusing and concentrating on your every move. Just my .02. But the 2022 has exceeded all my expectations.

Disclaimer- I have only skied it twice and both times conditions were very firm hardpack with a dusting of man made and some cruddy stuff. They absolutely ripped in those conditions. So I can't wait to see what they do with a few inches of fesh on the ground.

@Fleece82 ...what length are you on? I've read the actual measurements are short. I'm 6'1/2" and 210 lbs. Given the short actual measurements, 180 may be too short and 188 seem too long. My pow skis are Enforcer 104 FR in 186, but they have a lot of tip and tail rockers. Thanks.

Larry

Out on the slopes
Skier
@Fleece82 ...what length are you on? I've read the actual measurements are short. I'm 6'1/2" and 210 lbs. Given the short actual measurements, 180 may be too short and 188 seem too long. My pow skis are Enforcer 104 FR in 186, but they have a lot of tip and tail rockers. Thanks.
I'll try to look at mine tomorrow sometime. They're at REI now but I just bought the 96 black in 174. From just a quick visual look I DONT think they're short. If anything my 174 might be 173 but NO shorter. I actually think the 174 is 174. Let's see what others say.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter

These dudes spend way more time measuring skis than I do. The RS line IMO - ski short in all lengths and may be stepping up to the 188 - 106 next year. Let’s just say it’s in the short list :ogbiggrin:

3 cm short.

188 should rock the casbah!

justaute

Graceful Bowling Ball
Skier
In the comment section of Skiessential's reviews, Bob mentioned he measured the 2022 version of 188 to be ~1.5cm shorter, which is quite different from the previous version that's ~3-4cm shorter. Though, he also mentioned he didn't think the molds for 2021 and 2022 were different. Just called SE and they said they'll measure on Monday, FWIW.

Wendy

Resurrecting the Oxford comma
Admin
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I ski the 88 RS in a 180, the longest length ski I have ever owned, and it’s easy to ski. My AX’s are 168. I’m glad I didn’t go shorter on the RS.

graham418

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I have been wondering what size RS96 to get as well. I borrowed some wingman 86 in a 172 , and they skied quite short. Too short in fact. So, I'm thinking 180 as well. But yesterday I saw a couple of skiers well over 6ft on the 172s. I get so confused sometimes

Sponsor

Staff online