• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Road Bike Pedals?

coskigirl

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I’ve been riding SPD-SL pedals since 2009ish but I need new shoes so considering new pedals as well. Looking at Speedplays but open to suggestions. I am not a lightweight cyclist so they need to be hardy in that respect.

tch

What do I know; I'm just some guy on the internet.
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I have been a Look fan for a long time. For me, easier to get into/out of, and I really like the fact that the pedal provides much more of a platform for the foot than either SPD or Speedplay. Some users of Speedplay have said that they can feel like "pedaling on a walnut". I don't have personal experience, and YMMV, obviously.
And...they are carried in almost every store/catalog so getting cleats, etc. is easy.

babanff

Out on the slopes
Industry Insider
Ditto on Look. Can’t pretend I’ve used anything otherwise on my roadie to compare to, but I have incredibly sensitive soles and the larger platform seems to prevent hotspots on long rides (which I sometimes get with the spds on my mtb). Cleats seem to wear out quick, but whatever, they’re cheap. And I guess if you’re the type that needs a double-sided pedal you might not like them.

luliski

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Also a fan of Look pedals (I have the KEO). The large platform makes them much more comfortable for me than SPD pedals.

Reactions: Ron
TS
coskigirl

coskigirl

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
The Look Keo doesn’t look that different than the SPD-SL which are very different than SPD. I’ll have to look into the advantages of the Looks.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
The Look Keo doesn’t look that different than the SPD-SL which are very different than SPD.

They're both massively popular derivatives of the old Look Delta - meaning you can get cleats and screws at just about any bike shop.

I take it you don't have any particular geometry issues that you know of? Things like Q factor sensitivity, float preferences, pedal stack height sensitivity?

Most who change away from popular systems do it for one of those fringe reasons - or a strong feel preference.

luliski

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
The Look Keo doesn’t look that different than the SPD-SL which are very different than SPD. I’ll have to look into the advantages of the Looks.
Oh, sorry. I was thinking mountain bike pedals when you said SPD. I got the Looks because that's what my favorite LBS recommended, and I've never had a reason to switch.

Erik Timmerman

So much better than a pro
Instructor
I've been running Times for the last couple, um, decades. If I needed new pedals today, I'd probably get Shimano DA or Ultegra. I like that you can get them with long axle or short.

TS
coskigirl

coskigirl

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
They're both massively popular derivatives of the old Look Delta - meaning you can get cleats and screws at just about any bike shop.

I take it you don't have any particular geometry issues that you know of? Things like Q factor sensitivity, float preferences, pedal stack height sensitivity?

Most who change away from popular systems do it for one of those fringe reasons - or a strong feel preference.

I'm familiar with the Look Delta because that is what is on the Peloton. I'm not a huge fan of them but I think that's unique to the particular pedal on the Peloton. For whatever reason I really struggle getting my right foot unclipped which isn't a safety issue in my living room but could be on the road.

I originally ended up on the SLs because that's what I found a good deal on at the VeloSwap. But with looking at new shoes it occurred to me that my pedals are that old and given the safety factor it might be time to get a new pair. New pair means consider options. I don't have anything that particularly draws me away from the SL, just looking to see if there's a better option. Sounds like it makes sense just to get a new pair of SLs.

KevinF

Gathermeister-New England
Team Gathermeister
I've been running the same SPD-SL pedals for at least 15 years now. Do the pedals themselves wear out? Cleats certainly do, but I've always treated pedals as a "once in a lifetime" type purchase. It's never occurred to me to service them.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
I don't have anything that particularly draws me away from the SL, just looking to see if there's a better option. Sounds like it makes sense just to get a new pair of SLs.

Sounds good to me.

I'm familiar with the Look Delta because that is what is on the Peloton. I'm not a huge fan of them but I think that's unique to the particular pedal on the Peloton. For whatever reason I really struggle getting my right foot unclipped which isn't a safety issue in my living room but could be on the road.

I am assuming you have the red 9 degree float Delta cleats, and not the black zero degree ones. Check the Q factor of the Peloton - the distance between cranks. I suspect it's on the wide side - like MTB triple wide.

TS
coskigirl

coskigirl

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I've been running the same SPD-SL pedals for at least 15 years now. Do the pedals themselves wear out? Cleats certainly do, but I've always treated pedals as a "once in a lifetime" type purchase. It's never occurred to me to service them.

Perhaps I'm being paranoid but if they were to break due to metal fatigue or whatever I could be in a real pickle. Getting stranded somewhere, especially during social distancing, would be a real issue and since I've decided to train for a longer ride this summer I expect I'll be out in areas that would not be friendly to a one legged ride home.

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier
As far as servicing, depends on the pedal. Loose-ball pedals can certainly self-destruct and should be looked at occasionally, especially if you're riding in poor conditions. Better pedals have sealed cartridge bearings that last a lot longer. I would not consider them to be maintenance-free.

Rudi Riet

AKA songfta AKA randomduck - a USSS coach, as well
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Frankly, I've found SPD-SL pedals to be easy to maintain because of the ball bearings. Shimano makes a rock solid axle and bearing system.

To @KevinF's query: yes, SPD-SL pedals can (and do) wear out. If yours have the plastic cleat board on the pedal face, that wears down and creates excess play in the pedals - that's why Shimano switched to a medal cleat board over time. The sweet spot for SPD-SL pedals were the all-metal 105-5700/Ultegra-6700 and 6800/Dura-Ace-7800 pedals, all of which are (sadly) discontinued. The newer, all composite models are great, but the longevity of the surfaces for an all-plastic pedal is less well known. There's a reason that the metal Ultegra and Dura-Ace units are still sought out by pro racers: they're solid!

And the bearings need servicing at least once a year - simple process, can be DIY if you have the right tools.

Look Keo pedals will be similar. The cleats are less walk friendly, if that's a concern to you, but they are similar to the SPD-SL (which was Shimano's answer to needing a Look-esque pedal for Lance Armstrong in his USPS Pro Cycling days).

Speedplay is a different system, entirely. They have the most rotational float of any pedal, which works better for some than the more locked-in track of SPD-SL, Look, or Time's road systems. The cleat has all of the retention springs in it and will likely need an adapter to work with and three-hole screw pattern shoes (Speedplays use 4 screws). This increases stack height a little bit if that matters to you - it will affect bike fit. The Speedplay cleat is not very walk friendly - bring covers if you need to enter a store or walk more than a few steps. And when the bearings wear out they tend to do so destructively. If you go with Speedplay, annual bearing service is a must.

Time makes great road pedals, but they have an almost non-existent distribution channel in the U.S. these days. They also used to have (and may still have?) 4-hole screw patterns that will require an adapter. Stack height increases will also be in play here.

Whew! I hope this doesn't confuse too much! @coskigirl: if the SPD-SLs work for you, stick with 'em! Replace the cleats regularly (fun fact: the Exustar SPD-SL compatible cleats are half the price of Shimano and wear twice as long). Service those bearings every year.

jt10000

步步高升
Skier
I’ve been riding SPD-SL pedals since 2009ish but I need new shoes so considering new pedals as well. Looking at Speedplays but open to suggestions. I am not a lightweight cyclist so they need to be hardy in that respect.
I don't think you should change pedals unless there is a strong reason too. Your connection to the bike is very important, and if SPD-SL is working, stick with it.

TS
coskigirl

coskigirl

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Thank you for the comprehensive review @Rudi Riet! I know my dad and stepmom are on Speedplays so I'll have to ask them about the walking issue. I don't walk around a lot but I do sometimes stop for breakfast with my run group friends so it is something to think about. The new Speedplays work on both 3 and 4 screws. I like the idea of the two sided entry as I sometimes get frustrated with flipping my pedal around at busy intersections to get going. As far as the SPD-SL cleats, I do replace them usually annually but sometimes more often.

CalG

Out on the slopes
Pass Pulled
I run Speedplay FROGS, No issues at all, and lots of twist accommodation. (Knee friendly)

Mostly I just like how CLEAN they are, No moving parts, and the shoe fittings don't ammount to much at all.

I never warmed to SPDs.

Rudi Riet

AKA songfta AKA randomduck - a USSS coach, as well
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
I run Speedplay FROGS, No issues at all, and lots of twist accommodation. (Knee friendly)

I know at least one ex-UCI pro cyclist who swears by Speedplay Frogs. Nice pedal, spare parts are more of a challenge to find than their road pedals (tho easily ordered by your local bike shop or online). Same need to stay ahead of bearing issues with the spindles.

Larry

Out on the slopes
Skier
If anybody has speedplay x1 titanium for sale in good condition, I might be interested. They're selling used on ebay between 60-100. I'm interested if around 65-70

martyg

Making fresh tracks
Industry Insider
If anybody has speedplay x1 titanium for sale in good condition, I might be interested. They're selling used on ebay between 60-100. I'm interested if around 65-70

I have a drawer full of Speedplays. Let me see what is in there.

Sponsor

Staff online