• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Road bike shorts

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
This thread is like a curse. The day after I post about liking Endura bibshorts the pad rips away. :rolleyes::doh:
Oh sure blame us for your padding issues. I think there may be something else going on there ;)

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I wasn't going to talk about the white hot fury they're forced to contain

... but since it's been brought up...
Maybe cut back on the spicy food :duck:

Ron

Seeking the next best ski
SkiTalk Tester
keep I mind that each brand has different levels of bibs/shorts. Rapha, for instance has several, each has different materials, varied chamois and straps, leg openings, etc. MAAP pro's are amazing and Rapha' Pro's as well. MAAP is a PITA to order with if you need to make any adjustments to your order. Rapha is the easiest to order from and make reurns/exchanges and they stand behind their products. The best way to start on your journey is to buy a few different pairs (that can be returned) and see what fits well. do the leg openings fit properly? is the length correct? does the chamois fit properly? does the leg and chamois fit your shape well? Are the straps comfortable and long enough? Is the stomach opening comfortable and not too tight? Chamois are a personal thing, super thick is not good and of course some "pro-use" chamois are thinner. It should conform well to your body and cover the areas needed. Some will ride up terribly or shift too far back.

You will most likely buy some you end up liking more than other but its a process. If you ride a lot, 4+ days a week, make sure you have 3-4 pairs or you will end up doing laundry too often

TS
Nancy Hummel

Nancy Hummel

Ski more, talk less.
Instructor
SkiTalk Supporter
Love the Assos H.laalalaishorts. Very nice.

Ordered Pearlizumi Pros and will try those out as well.

May try a pair of Castelli also.

I don't need variety. Once I find what I like, I will order several pair and hope that is it for awhile.

I appreciate all the input.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester

I don't need variety. Once I find what I like, I will order several pair and hope that is it for awhile.

I know how you feel. I loved my Dakine Comps until they changed them and wish I had bought more when they were available in the old style.

Ron

SkiTalk Tester

good idea on these 2, they are really different brands overall so it should give you a good idea of what you like. Again, each has differing models so try to order parallel items as far as their product quality level. for bike bibs/shorts, variety is not your friend. Once you find a chamois that fits and performs for your body/riding style just stick with it.

TS
Nancy Hummel

Nancy Hummel

Ski more, talk less.
Instructor
SkiTalk Supporter
good idea on these 2, they are really different brands overall so it should give you a good idea of what you like. Again, each has differing models so try to order parallel items as far as their product quality level. for bike bibs/shorts, variety is not your friend. Once you find a chamois that fits and performs for your body/riding style just stick with it.

I agree.

I may need to return to Steamboat for some adjustments on my bike fit. Will let you know. We can do dinner! Love the pizza place.

Reactions: Ron

Rudi Riet

AKA songfta AKA randomduck - a USSS coach, as well
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
No one wearing Wiggo's stuff?

Le Col doesn't have great mail order speed from what I've encountered with friends who own their stuff. And I don't know any female friends who use their shorts - their jerseys are more common. And their jerseys are quite nice and the build seems good, so the shorts should be good as well.

That said: don't have friends who own them, so...

I should be able to speak to the speed of their distribution as I have one of their jerseys being shipped from the UK on Tuesday, the 10th, so we shall see...

keep I mind that each brand has different levels of bibs/shorts. Rapha, for instance has several, each has different materials, varied chamois and straps, leg openings, etc. MAAP pro's are amazing and Rapha' Pro's as well. MAAP is a PITA to order with if you need to make any adjustments to your order. Rapha is the easiest to order from and make reurns/exchanges and they stand behind their products.

More shops are starting to carry MAAP - a local brick-and-mortar shop here in DC is now carrying their stuff, as well as Rapha, Café du Cycliste, Eliel, and Pedal Mafia. It makes trying these brands on a lot easier, as well as returning/exchanging. Said shop is also looking to carry some lower-cost-yet-still-well-made shorts and jerseys because all of the aforementioned brands are pricey, especially for those whose pay scale is modest and frugality isn't optional.

Rapha used to be a lot easier to order in the DC area as they had a brick-and-mortar store which was awesome. But the company over-extended their Clubhouse system and shuttered quite a few of them during the pandemic, instead arranging to have other retailers carry their wares and act as official resellers. It's not as smooth as buying direct, but it works.

(And my $0.02: Rapha's stuff is ridiculously overpriced for what it is. Luckily their semi-annual sale is often chock full of good deals on their stuff... if it fits you well.)

Ron

SkiTalk Tester
Rapha's Core line is a great value. $80.00 for a jerseys (on sale now for 72$) and their "classic" line is also excellent quality. slightly higher price point but their bibs are a great value here. When you buy certain bibs and jerseys, they discount by 20%. FWIW, MAAP's Pro Bib are hands down, the best out there (for me) a unique fabric is used that is highly breathable, very supportive and incredibly durable. I went down at about 15 mph going around a corner and slid over 30' and the fabric didnt tear or fray!. I cant say the same about me though. :).

One of the best unknown brands in the USA (besides MAAP) is Sportful. A small, Italian brand, owned by Castelli that makes some fantastic gear at great prices. Order from their site for the lowest prices. I wear their jerseys for gravel riding.

Last edited:

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
One of the best unknown brands in the USA (besides MAAP) is Sportful. A small, Italian brand, owned by Castelli that makes some fantastic gear at great prices. Order from their site for the lowest prices. I wear their jerseys for gravel riding.

Interesting. I'll check that out, Ron.

Reactions: Ron

Rudi Riet

AKA songfta AKA randomduck - a USSS coach, as well
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
I wish Rapha's Core stuff actually fit me. It has a U.S. cut (read: more relaxed) and just kinda drapes on me rather than provide any compression. And it's not meant for tall folk, either. Don't get me wrong: it's great stuff but the fit is not for me.

As noted before: shorts are a very personal thing, as is any contact point on a bicycle.

Agreed about Sportful. Backcountry/Steep & Cheap used to stock a lot of their stuff.

Ron

SkiTalk Tester
Westernbikeworks carries a bunch of Sportful stuff

the Rapha Core stuff is OK (meaning its good), its not a "club fit" but it is a touch more relaxed. I wear XL in all Race cut jerseys but can wear a Large in the Core and classic Rapha line and they fit me very well. But now that I am riding much more, I do prefer higher quality stuff.

Another brand that is not cheap but incredible quality is 7Mesh. I believe they are owned by Arc Teryx. I have one of their jerseys and its incredibly comfortable and durable. https://7mesh.com/ashlu-merino-jersey

its not designed to be the lightest, but for longer rides, this is my go-to for comfort and well-designed storage. the pockets are free-floating. the Merino fabric wicks incredibly well (for hot arid climates) and is just very comfortable. I have my eye out for end of season deals on this jersey but its mostly sold out. I have the "76 Jag" green. Best name ever for a color.

Last edited:

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
Agreed about Sportful. Backcountry/Steep & Cheap used to stock a lot of their stuff.

They've had a booth at both the MCM and Seagull expo since the early 2000s - 2003 for sure.

They also did a bunch of crossover running/winter gear with some XC ski duty and womens' fits - but quite oriented to the ah, slenderer womens' side. Which is why herself is running mostly mens' gear from them (and Pedal Mafia, but that's a different story).

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
It's funny how it can be with clothing brands, my daughter's favorite and also her most hated pairs of bib shorts are both from Castelli.

Yup. I remember a time in the distant past that a lot of us in my circle of friends swore by PI's top of the line short. Then one year they totally revamped the chamois without changing the name, and it was disastrous. The local PI store manager said she'd never processed so many returns.

The worst was a close friend that bought a brand new pair for his dream trip to France. He ended up shorts shopping over there on Day 3......but the damage was done. :(

Sponsor

Staff online