• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Road biking 2018

Rainbow Jenny

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
@luliski ran me into the ground Saturday on a road bike after skiing Alpine Meadows. We might as well start a new thread and remind everyone about Pugski club on Strava.
https://www.strava.com/clubs/pugski

Thanks, @luliski for showing me Donner Lake from Tahoe City and for making me chase after you.

4979840C-9CF8-44D4-B028-55F38405139E.jpeg

I’m also thrilled to reconnect with my San Francisco to Mexico border trip leader from 4+ years ago who lives near Mt Rose. Looking forward to riding with him again soon. That septuagenarian has not slowed down one bit...

luliski

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
@luliski ran me into the ground Saturday on a road bike after skiing Alpine Meadows. We might as well start a new thread and remind everyone about Pugski club on Strava.
https://www.strava.com/clubs/pugski

Thanks, @luliski for showing me Donner Lake from Tahoe City and for making me chase after you.

View attachment 44680

I’m also thrilled to reconnect with my San Francisco to Mexico border trip leader from 4+ years ago who lives near Mt Rose. Looking forward to riding with him again soon. That septuagenarian has not slowed down one bit...
Really, I think we were well-matched and equally beat by the end. Seeing the cyclists on Mt Rose Hwy yesterday made me want to climb that!

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
Colorado ride.

In flatlander news, in two weeks you can have the joy of riding with the ospreys*, fighting oyster shard flats**, and flattening as many crab hatchlings*** as you conceivably can. All in an unseasonably chilly**** sand-laden headwind :P

*The rumour that they prefer red bikes is false, that's turkey buzzards
**Hooper's island route
***white, hoppier than roaches, and simply all over everywhere
****nope, no tailwind, either sheltered stillness or misery

http://www.6pillarscentury.org/pdfs/6Pillars100_8x11.pdf

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier
Colorado ride.

In flatlander news, in two weeks you can have the joy of riding with the ospreys*, fighting oyster shard flats**, and flattening as many crab hatchlings*** as you conceivably can. All in an unseasonably chilly**** sand-laden headwind :P

*The rumour that they prefer red bikes is false, that's turkey buzzards
**Hooper's island route
***white, hoppier than roaches, and simply all over everywhere
****nope, no tailwind, either sheltered stillness or misery

http://www.6pillarscentury.org/pdfs/6Pillars100_8x11.pdf
Now THAT is flat... :D

tball

Unzipped
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Yep. It's revamped a bit for this year. Now there are 3 starting points including Copper. What is shocking to me is registration is still open. Usually the Sat. ride sells out pretty quick.

Interesting. Looks like it's only one day and no more of that crazy Double Triple (Evergreen -> Avon on Sat, then Avon -> Evergreen on Sun). I like the approachable options where folks can join their more fit friends in route:

Home_-_Triple_Bypass_2018_-_30_Years_-_Bicycle_Ride.jpg

@scott43 it's a well-run event on a fantastic course. Here's a little section of the Vail Pass bike path, Copper to the summit:

I submit Vail Pass as the coolest bike path in the world. Any better out there?

scott43

Skier
I submit Vail Pass as the coolest bike path in the world. Any better out there?
I haven't done the Vail pass..but they got some cool stuff in the Alps... :) Is the route generally the hiway route? ie 8% grade more or less?

The total lack of people on that path is both awesome and disappointing..

coskigirl

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I've not done the Triple Bypass but know a few who have. Are you considering doing it @scott43?

I've been on my road bike as much as possible this year balancing with skiing and running. Now that it's light later I've managed to get in post-work rides fairly regularly and I'm hoping for one tonight.

scott43

Skier
I've not done the Triple Bypass but know a few who have. Are you considering doing it @scott43?

I've been on my road bike as much as possible this year balancing with skiing and running. Now that it's light later I've managed to get in post-work rides fairly regularly and I'm hoping for one tonight.
A work associate is contemplating going again. He sent me the KML of the route which seems doable..seems like long uphill but not too silly aka 14%. I don't think I'll be going anywhere this year but perhaps for the future. Looks like a lot of fun. I seem to always go skiing in the mountains but never actually riding in the mountains, which is strange because I'm a much better cyclist than skier!! :)

tball

Unzipped
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
A work associate is contemplating going again. He sent me the KML of the route which seems doable..seems like long uphill but not too silly aka 14%. I don't think I'll be going anywhere this year but perhaps for the future. Looks like a lot of fun. I seem to always go skiing in the mountains but never actually riding in the mountains, which is strange because I'm a much better cyclist than skier!! :)
Do it when you can! It's totally approachable. On any given day on the front range, I think half of the cyclists are wearing a Triple jersey. I've only done it once, but I'm a bit self-conscious about wearing my jersey cause it seems so passe. ;)

The course diverts from I-70 quite a bit taking Sqaw Pass from Evergreen to Idaho Springs, and Loveland Pass and Swan Mountain Road from Loveland Ski Area to Frisco.

Nothing is too steep, just long climbs. Idaho Springs to the top of Loveland Pass is like 30 miles up. Thankfully there are two aid stations on that section. Here's the profile:

2018CourseProfile.png

That said, 120 miles and 11,000 feet of climbing are much more difficult than a normal century, especially given the altitude.

tball

Unzipped
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I haven't done the Vail pass..but they got some cool stuff in the Alps... :)
Are there any bike paths with no cars in the Alps? All I know is what I've seen on the TDF which is all roads I believe.

I love road biking but hate cars. Fortunately, I'm able to road bike almost exclusively on bike paths both in the mountains and on the front range.

It's totally worth a summer or fall trip to the CO high country to road bike. An enormous amount of money has been spent on bike paths that make it a wonderful experience.

scott43

Skier
I think there's no way I can do the 120 miler. I'd be happy with the one pass and done! Just too out of shape right now. Maybe in the future.

And a good point..for paved stuff, maybe the Alps are not so good. Sometimes the roads turn to dirt higher up and it's not wonderful. I suppose the thing is, if you know where you are going, local knowledge, there are a lot of routes that are not well traveled, if at all, that you can use. The average tourist wouldn't find them probably. The other thing with the Alps is the tourist traffic on the well-known cycling routes..the Galibier, Stelvio, Alpe d'Huez..

mikel

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Interesting. Looks like it's only one day and no more of that crazy Double Triple (Evergreen -> Avon on Sat, then Avon -> Evergreen on Sun).

I'm not a member of Team Evergreen so I don't know current status but a couple of years ago the discussion was to alternate every other year for the 2 day. Then I heard there was talk of dropping day 2 all together. I like day 1 going to Avon a lot better than day 2 going back to Evergreen. Seems like by the time I got back to Idaho Springs it was always raining/thunderstorms or even hailing.

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
Do it when you can! It's totally approachable. On any given day on the front range, I think half of the cyclists are wearing a Triple jersey. I've only done it once, but I'm a bit self-conscious about wearing my jersey cause it seems so passe. ;)

The course diverts from I-70 quite a bit taking Sqaw Pass from Evergreen to Idaho Springs, and Loveland Pass and Swan Mountain Road from Loveland Ski Area to Frisco.

Nothing is too steep, just long climbs. Idaho Springs to the top of Loveland Pass is like 30 miles up. Thankfully there are two aid stations on that section. Here's the profile:

View attachment 44722

That said, 120 miles and 11,000 feet of climbing are much more difficult than a normal century, especially given the altitude.

Just the climb from Bergen Park to Juniper Pass is brutal. The sustained downhill only really starts just before Echo Lake. The climb up L L Pass is more broken up but can be really tough with a headwind. Everything else is pretty easy but with tired legs not so much. At my weight (185 lb) if I dont get my FTP up to 250-300W its a very very long day. That said, its an awesome route and a special day with so many cyclists doing it! Only happens once a year.

I would suggest a compact crank (50t-34t) with a 11-32t cassette if you power to weight is not very high.

Sponsor

Staff online

• Andy Mink
    Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January