• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Road trip safety

BS Slarver

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Hey all ! First big road trip of the year, 5k miles from BS to east coast and beyond coming up and have some concerns about safety / thefts while out on the road this summer.

Posting this after reading @coskigirl road trip and didn’t want to hijack her topic but @Ken_R has me thinking about bike safety and safety in general.

@Jim Kenney, to the travel courtesy phone ?

Bikes and SUPs will be living outside of the van. Obviously those things will come into the van at night if a hotel is needed. This trip has us mostly campsite stays but do I need to start worrying about things even at a rest area or while going into a store ? I’ve been reading about a rash of catalytic converter thefts nation wide even while people are going into pay for gas and this just after my daughter called a few weeks ago to tell us her car was stolen in broad daylight in Philadelphia. Most troubling with that was her car was a piece of crap Chevy cruise and it was in a very nice section of town, right outside of her workplace.
So any suggestions ? Leave the extra gear home and rent at the 3-4 places we will ride and paddle ? Are areas of the country really needing one of use to stay with the van while at certain spots ?
We just had the sprinter windows completely tinted BLACK - yes legal here in MT especially with the mrs. eye issues and a dr. note so I doubt anyone will be brazen enough to try to break in to the van or screw with it with the chance someone is in side. Thoughts ?

Jim Kenney

Travel Correspondent
Team Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
I have not taken extra security precautions in my long road trips in 2020 and 2021. I don't carry anything especially valuable in the car and my nondescript Outback is 8 years old. Last summer we did the car camping thing at state parks and NRAs for three nights as we made our way across the US. Our recent trip to Zion NP was only a one-nighter and I brought a crummy old hybrid bike kept inside the vehicle. I have also driven from Wash DC area to Utah, Utah to Wash DC, and Wash DC to Utah this winter. :doh: All these trips were made without incident, knock on wood.

We are about to embark on a one week trip from UT to Wash DC via Arches NP and parts of southern CO. Our vehicle will be loaded with misc. household goods, none of it particularly valuable. We'll be staying in motels each night.

I think you will be fine in your situation. Putting valuables inside vehicle on nights you stay at a motel sounds like a good plan. I have no evidence to suggest you might be at extra risk for theft while doing normal recreational travel this year.

PS: Sprinter vans are super popular and considered highly desirable in recent years. Have you seen any reports about Sprinter vans being targeted for theft because of their high profile these days??

Last edited:

Tony

tseeb
Skier
Does your Sprinter have a catalytic converter? I assumed it was diesel and and does not. Our truck camper is more than 10 years old, diesel and does not have one. But at least one of the campgrounds we go to on CA coast <40 miles away warns about portable generator and other thefts.

My son had his catalytic converter stolen while visiting girlfriend who lived in sketchy area of LA. They thieves also damaged two O2 sensors so total cost to get it repaired was ~$2K. It's a Honda Element which has a lot of clearance so it's easy to reach under it from the passenger side and cut the converter. His solution is to only park against curb so nobody can get under it.

wooglin

Making fresh tracks
Skier
At gas stations and other short stops I’d just worry about opportunistic snatch and grabbers. I assume you’re going to run a cable lock through things, which should be plenty.

coskigirl

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
At gas stations and other short stops I’d just worry about opportunistic snatch and grabbers. I assume you’re going to run a cable lock through things, which should be plenty.

Lots of bikes have been stolen from racks with these types of locks in Denver. I know of a couple that happened while people were checking in at hotels.

My bike is traveling in my car with an Otto lock on it and covered by a moving blanket. It comes inside my hotel or AirBnB at night. For camping we have a locking system for the 6 bikes we’ll have. I’ve also put an AirTag on mine.

François Pugh

Skiing the powder
Skier
Great White North (Eastern side currently)
Don't carry large amounts of cash; the police will steal it from you. They have laws that allow them to do it, forcing you to sue to get it back (if you win your case) or settle you suit for partial refund of confiscated cash. The burden of proof is on you in this case; they don't even need to prove you came by the money illegally.

TS
BS Slarver

BS Slarver

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Thank you for the replies and I'll be looking into the Otto lock for a second lock to replace the back up cable, looks intriguing. I'm fairly certain there isn't a catalytic conv. on the diesel with the DEF, the point was just how quick ones stuff can be removed with a battery operated saw or grinder. Perhaps some fool will check if there is one as we are driving off.

Looking to avoid lawyers guns and money on this trip, hoping its a wee bit more chill.

Thanks for the reassurance Jim K. forgot you were based out of DC ( when you home ) We will honk on the way by.
Middle legs of the trip will include Catskills to Annapolis, blue ridge parkway to Charlottesville and of course wintergreen, the old stomping grounds.
Itinerary is a bit ambitious, national and state parks, BF daughters wedding, biking, paddling and many aging family members to see.

TheArchitect

Working to improve all the time
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I made the mistake of buying an Otto lock before seeing that video. It's never been used and can be yours for really, really cheap!

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Make sure your insurance is up to date and you know what's covered and by which insurance, either auto or homeowners. Thieves suck and need to be eradicated.

Seldomski

All words are made up
Skier
Thieves go after the easiest targets.

Don't leave stuff in car where it can be seen. Especially if that stuff is easy/inconspicuous to smash, grab, and carry (ie purse, laptop, jewelry, etc). Park in a well lit area with some traffic.

You could leave a battery powered radio on inside the van so it sounds like someone is inside.

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Always park next to an easy target. Trailheads are bad for thievery. They know you'll be gone for a while. If possible, park near a trailhead in a neighborhood or store and ride/walk to the trailhead.

Park near a better/easier target.

Jim Kenney

Travel Correspondent
Team Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Another strategy: pack your car full like the Beverly Hillbillies to make a thief feel so overwhelmed they choose a more straightforward target;)
full car may 2021.jpg

We completed our cross-country trip in late May/early June without incident.

coskigirl

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
There are no locks that aren’t defeated by a driven thief with the right tools. I would never use to Otto lock to lock up long term, only when I stop for coffee with friends or inside my car or garage as another delay tactic.

Sponsor

Staff online