• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Road Tubeless Tire Recommendations

princo

Getting off the lift
Skier
Thanks @Wannabeskibum. After watching the videos, I figured how to use the tire levers as @Tom K mentions. Then I learned how to move the beads off the valve so air could inflate the tire. Right now the one tire is inflated and I'm gathering strength to attempt the second. After that, sealant will probably be tomorrow. It's been a long day.

Thanks again.

I had a hell of a time getting my Conti 5000s onto the rims as well. I've been mounting regular road and tubeless (MTB and gravel) tires for years and nothing comes close to the effort it took to mount these. Setting the bead was pretty easy though. Then I realized that these tires are directional and one was mounted the wrong way. I almost cried....

Last edited:

firebanex

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Do people have thoughts on a road-to-light gravel capable tubeless tire in the 28-32mm range? Currently running 28mm Teravail Ramparts on the CX as an off season tire, but they're kind of meh and heavy. I'm a fan of Vittoria tires, but don't want to step all the way up to Terrenos for road use.
I've been using a set of Donnelly Strada USH 32's tubeless for a good 800 or 900 miles so far last year and this year. I have no complaints and they roll fast with the center strip of packed chevrons, no issues with the heavy file tread on the shoulders even when descending at 40mph on pavement as I just did this morning. My main commuting route involves 2 miles of gravel of varying conditions before I hit pavement for the rest of the way in, which is the primary reason why I went with gravel tires rather something else.

Ron

Seeking the next best ski
SkiTalk Tester
if your rim has a center channel, move both beads into the channel when mounting, it effectively makes the rim smaller (reduces the radius) and work opposite of the valve. Its also much easier to set the bead with a compressor, the Porter-Cable (C2002) compressor can be purchased for about $100 and will change your life along with a Prestaflator :). Remove the Core on your valve to set the bead. Its takes a little practice, but you can set the bead with the compressor (I unscrew the top of the Prestaflator for better air flow and fit over the valve), by placing your finger over the valve stem (with air still in the tire) and then replace the core. (make sure your close the valve first to prevent air from escaping as you screw it back into place) KOM's sealant injection system is the best on the market for sealant. Make sure you clean it well after use.

tire too loose on the rim? Put a second layer of tape on it.

Porter-Cable compressor

Prestaflator

Best Stans/Orange sealant injection system

Last edited:

Ron

SkiTalk Tester
Those C24s can take a beating for being partially carbon and having so few spokes. I occasionally *ahem* forget and treat my road bike like my cross bike and I'm shocked that they're still rolling undamaged and true.

Do people have thoughts on a road-to-light gravel capable tubeless tire in the 28-32mm range? Currently running 28mm Teravail Ramparts on the CX as an off season tire, but they're kind of meh and heavy. I'm a fan of Vittoria tires, but don't want to step all the way up to Terrenos for road use.

its hard to beat GravelKing's (file tread) for the price. you can typically find them for $40 per tire. if your rim is wider than 19.5 internally they will inflate 2-4mm wider. They roll fast and are durable. And, they weigh about 310 grams. Also Challenge Bianca Strada's But they are substantially more $.

Plai

Paul Lai
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Thanks @Wannabeskibum. After watching the videos, I figured how to use the tire levers as @Tom K mentions. Then I learned how to move the beads off the valve so air could inflate the tire. Right now the one tire is inflated and I'm gathering strength to attempt the second. After that, sealant will probably be tomorrow. It's been a long day.

Thanks again.

First real-ish ride this morning, a flat 17 mile loop that usually takes me 1:15. Today, even with 15-20;(head) winds, 59.30min. What?!? 2-4mph improvement with just a change in rubber? I found myself hunting for another top gear on flats! Yes, I'm sure the last month of climbs, 2-5k each weekend, has helped with the conditioning, but not 4 mph avg improvement.

Now, is this worth the 2 days of installing the tires? My judgement is out. My question, would the tubed Conti 5Ks be good enough? I certainly won't know until I change tires, 3-5 years away, which makes the question irrelevant.
@Ron @Wannabeskibum @Tom K. I owe you one (or more) :beercheer:

Last edited:

Wannabeskibum

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
its hard to beat GravelKing's (file tread) for the price. you can typically find them for $40 per tire. if your rim is wider than 19.5 internally they will inflate 2-4mm wider. They roll fast and are durable. And, they weigh about 310 grams. Also Challenge Bianca Strada's But they are substantially more $.

I also have the Challenge Chicane Pro in a clincher for the other gravel wheels - great tire for mixed terrain.

Wannabeskibum

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
First real-ish ride this morning, a flat 17 mile loop that usually takes me 1:15. Today, even with 15-20;(head) winds, 59.30min. What?!? 2-4mph improvement with just a change in rubber? I found myself hunting for another top gear on flats! Yes, I'm sure the last month of climbs, 2-5k each weekend, has helped with the conditioning, but not 4 mph avg improvement.

Now, is this worth the 2 days of installing the tires? My judgement is out. My question, would the tubed Conti 5Ks be good enough? I certainly won't know until I change tires, 3-5 years away, which makes the question irrelevant.
@Ron @Wannabeskibum @Tom K. I owe you one (or more) :beercheer:

Well, the old tires were pretty hard and probably didn't roll very well and you have been doing a lot of climbing the past few weeks on those old tires so your "fitness" is better, so with the combination of fitness, at tuned up bike, and new supple road tires - I guess anything is possible!

As for the beers - that would be fun to do after a ride - maybe some beer over zoom after a weekend of ridiing.

Plai

Paul Lai
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Well, the old tires were pretty hard and probably didn't roll very well and you have been doing a lot of climbing the past few weeks on those old tires so your "fitness" is better, so with the combination of fitness, at tuned up bike, and new supple road tires - I guess anything is possible!

As for the beers - that would be fun to do after a ride - maybe some beer over zoom after a weekend of ridiing.
Fitness wise, this year has been about double the mileage and double the climb gain vs the effort in the previous three years. Didn't think it was that significant. That's why I think it's more the new tires than "fitness".

Hmmm... How often do people switch out tires? Didn't really think my previous sets were worn, tired, or "too hard". Time to look for another "educational" video.

Wannabeskibum

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Fitness wise, this year has been about double the mileage and double the climb gain vs the effort in the previous three years. Didn't think it was that significant. That's why I think it's more the new tires than "fitness".

Hmmm... How often do people switch out tires? Didn't really think my previous sets were worn, tired, or "too hard". Time to look for another "educational" video.

So, I do about 3000 or so miles a year on the road - I am usually changing my tubed tires (Conti 4000 s2) at about 1800 miles - at around 900 miles, I actually rotate the front to the rear as the rear takes more of a "beating' than the front. I ride in New England, so tires do take kind of a beating as our roads are not consistent - some are very smooth with fresh pavement, others are cracked. I always look for cuts and embedded stuff that can ultimately works it way through the casing to cause a puncture in the tube. As the tread on the tire wears, it will start to develop a flat spot all around the tire - that is generally a good indication that it is time to change the tire - but your mileage may vary as you live in a more temperate climate.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
and, if you are concerned over rolling resistance, once a tire hits about 50% wear, depending on the tire, its rolling resistance soars.

Tell me more, please.

I'm always interested in rolling resistance, especially as a 195 pound guy, with decent power, who "squares off" his rear tire profile depressingly quickly.

TS
Living Proof

Living Proof

We All Have The Truth
Skier

Riding 17 miles in 1.25 hrs. equates to 13.6 mph. Just saying, but, that seems like a very low number for a serious cyclist on flat ground. Also, weekend rides with climbs of 2-5k is something weaker riders would find very difficult, me included. Jumping to 17 mph, with wind, puts you in a much more advanced category. I'm sure the tires contributed, but not 3+ mph. Any tire that gets an automatic 3+ miles over average road tires would be flying off the shelfs.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I'll eat my hat if you got 4mph out of tires alone! ;):ogbiggrin:

4 mph out of a different set of tires would result in a VERY nice addition to that tire mfgs bottom line.

You're getting stronger @Plai!

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier
Riding 17 miles in 1.25 hrs. equates to 13.6 mph. Just saying, but, that seems like a very low number for a serious cyclist on flat ground. Also, weekend rides with climbs of 2-5k is something weaker riders would find very difficult, me included. Jumping to 17 mph, with wind, puts you in a much more advanced category. I'm sure the tires contributed, but not 3+ mph. Any tire that gets an automatic 3+ miles over average road tires would be flying off the shelfs.
Not that's I'm a good measure for a "serious" or "fit" rider... :roflmao: But yeah, I manage around 16-17mph generally for a 1 hr ride. I imagine most people in the top 50% of cyclists should be able to pull that off..

Ron

SkiTalk Tester
lets cut @Plai some slack here folks, he wasn't reporting this as if it was a scientific study, sounds like hes made some great fitness gains and yes, a tire could help out by 2 mph over a short distance. a lot of factors affect speed. a one-hour ride can be a lot of different things depending on how much climbing vs flat vs smooth tarmac vs chip n seal.

Wannabeskibum

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Tell me more, please.

I'm always interested in rolling resistance, especially as a 195 pound guy, with decent power, who "squares off" his rear tire profile depressingly quickly.

I am only about 150 lb - but that is why I rotate my tires before the rear "squares off". Alternatively, you just replace the rear tire when it is time. The front tire will generally last a while before showing signs of "squaring off".

Sponsor

Staff online

• Dwight
    Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid