• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Individual Review Roam Robotics Elevate - how to ski like Ironman

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
I noticed a product ad for Roam Robotics Elevate, a robotic exoskeleton designed to remove up to 30% of your body weight from your knees and quads. I was intrigued by this sci-fi technology and looked up their web site to get more information.

I signed up for the 2 hour demo online and reserved my two hours at Breckenridge. The Roam Robotics (RR) showroom is conveniently located on the plaza level of one of The Village towers. I showed up and met Brenda and Paul who introduced me to the Elevate product.

The system uses a computer, sensors in the exoskeleton, a controller and pneumatic bellows on the exoskeleton to provide additional support allowing you to use less energy to achieve the same goal. It can also reduce the pain in joints by reducing the stress on the joint by .

_EK_9989_crop_edit.jpg

photo credit: Roam Robotics

You wear the exoskeleton devices on your legs and a backpack that contains a battery pack, air compressor (to operate the pneumatics) and a computer. The exoskeletons are left and right and go on quite easily, as easily as a knee brace. They extend from between the upper and lower cuff buckles up to just below the crotch. Ratcheted closures fasten the straps around your boot, your upper calf (just below the knee) and around your thigh (two straps on the thigh). Just like a knee brace, you position the hinge point next to the femur condyle so that the hinge matches the point of flexion of your knee.

After you put on the exoskeleton, you don the pack which comes complete with waist belt and chest straps. On each side there are an electronic plug and a pneumatic plug. You attach them to the corresponding ports on the exoskeleton. There is a switch on the pack that you would turn on before putting on the pack and there is a controller that is attached to the left pack strap (see the inset in the photo below).

_PMK2206_pack%2Bcontroller.jpg
IMG_20191216_154205546.jpg
photo credit: Roam Robotics

You activate the system by long pressing the large button on the controller. You know it is on because the compressor starts up giving you a nice vibrating sensation on your back. :)

There are three levels of sensitivity and 5 levels of power in each sensitivity mode. The three sensitivity modes are low (purple), medium (yellow) and high (white). This setting is managed by the toggle switch on the bottom of the controller. It is kind of like the rebound settings on a mountain bike front suspension. If you are doing gentle easy groomers without a lot of dynamics, you'd choose the low sensitivity as you don't require the device to respond much since you aren't skiing dynamically. The more dynamic you are skiing, the more sensitive you want the device set to.

The power settings control how much assist or support you get. This is set using the larger toggle on the side of the controller. It is pretty intuitive how that will affect you. Basically, the higher the power, the 'stronger' it gets. Low gives you a mild assist, high gives you maximum. The number of illuminated LEDs corresponds to the power setting.

IMG_20191216_154053928.jpg IMG_20191216_154045978.jpg IMG_20191216_154034889.jpg
The photos don't show it clearly but that is one, three and five on low power. All the LEDs change color too represent sensitivity. A green LED indicates connectivity with the pack.

The nature of the device's function, supporting your weight, causes the device to 'assist' you in keeping your feet on the ground. It isn't intended to be operated while walking around or while on the lift. You deactivate the system when you approach the chair or when you want to take your skis off and walk.

The actual mechanism that controls the exoskeleton is an air bladder that is constantly building pressure or releasing it. In the high power modes the compressor and release of air make some intriguing sounds.

Enough intro. Paul and I went skiing. We started on an easy green trail. I skied like a mid-level intermediate with level 2 power and low sensitivity. I could barely tell they were there as far as my skiing went. It was hard to notice the actual support at the low power level and skiing really easy. We proceeded to blue terrain where I changed the settings around and tried more power and more sensitivity. I was able to notice the support more at the higher levels of power. Matching the sensitivity to the type of skiing I was doing allowed me to ski without any hindrance from the exoskeleton. I put it on high power with high sensitivity and laid down some quick SL type turns. I felt like the Gs were removed but I was definitely getting over on the edges and making tight turns. The power from the Elevate relieved me from having to be quite as strong/forceful yet allowed me to have all the control I usually have.

Next we went to the bumps. I purposely set the sensitivity to low and the power high, which is totally wrong for bumps, but the system responded as expected. I was 'overruled' by the exoskeleton as it didn't want to respond as quickly as I needed to in the bumps. When I set it to high sensitivity, I was able to attack the bumps in my usual manner.

A lot of the experience relates to the sensations of the exoskeleton relative to skiing with out it. It is kind of hard to describe but the Elevate did just what it was designed to do: provide support to relieve pressure on your knees as well as require you to exert less energy to achieve your desired level of skiing. I was totally impressed.

It took a bit of time to get used to the feel of the straps, particularly around the thighs. Less than an hour into the demo, I was practically unaware of the straps and simply feeling the 'lightness', if you will, of being supported while skiing. It is probably not unlike being on a planet with less gravity.

The attachment around the cuff of the boot is noticeable when you try to twist but pretty much not observable while skiing. I felt no restrictions while I was actually skiing.

In hind sight I wish I'd tried to get some air but I expect that it might be ill advised because the programming might not respond as desired when there is not downward force to resist. It was a small surprise when taking off my skis that there was resistance to lifting my boot out of the binding. Lifting my skis to step a turn on flats resulted in a similar response.

The pack stays on when you ride the lift and this was slightly problematic. It isn't compressable like packs filled with softer things than compressors, batteries and a computer, so I used the comfort bar every ride. Due to the restrictions of rotation of the leg it was also a little challenging to get a ski up on the foot rest. As well, the units are a bit bulky, adding a couple to three inches to your dimensions laterally. I bumped into a bench when I first started walking around as my sense of space was off.

The system I tested is version 2. They are considering changes to result in version 3. Other avenues they are pursing include the fields of medical as well as tactical uses.

All in all, I was extremely impressed by the effectiveness of the Elevate to aid me in my skiing without being intrusive. I felt how this would be useful for dealing with injury to the knee, arthritis or bone-on-bone as the relief of stress on the knee it provided was tangible. It clearly would make skiing less tiring as well so people that tire quickly could enjoy skiing longer.

IMG_20191216_153542178~01.jpg

nemesis256

Patrick
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Very interesting. Any idea on future availability? At the moment it only looks like it's available to rent, and even their waiting list is just a signup for when new resorts join in the rental program. If sold this must at least be $1000.

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
The pack stays on when you ride the lift and this was slightly problematic.
I wonder how the pack would play at places that don't allow packs to remain on while riding the lift. Sounds like yet another tool to keep skiing when you might otherwise need to stop.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
@Philpug and I had a conversation with a guy from Roam at Park City last year. There is also a guy here in Tahoe with the company. I think he's talking with High Fives. This is likely a great tool to keep people on the snow when aging or injury have the potential to sideline someone.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I am wondering if there could be programability that could be used for teaching?

TS
Doug Briggs

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
Awesome. All they need to do is add some armrests, and cupholders. :ogbiggrin:
:)
@Philpug and I had a conversation with a guy from Roam at Park City last year. There is also a guy here in Tahoe with the company. I think he's talking with High Fives. This is likely a great tool to keep people on the snow when aging or injury have the potential to sideline someone.
That is exactly what it is intended for.
The skiing didn’t feel robotic?
Not in the least. It was barely noticeable as far as my skiing was concerned. I could make any turn shape I wanted without thinking twice about it. All it does is assist in relieving stress from your knees.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester

Sponsor

Staff online